New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

I just registered. I hope they post on youtube as well though.

Anything posted on Vessel also goes to YouTube. Vessel just gets it a few days earlier.

Except for time-critical videos like major product releases, trade show videos, etc. those will get released on Vessel and YouTube at the exact same time.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Ok, I'll give my feedback.

I'm completely on board with a different way to monetize content. I've been banging on for years about having options other than the "data hoarding, targeted advertising" model. Google have failed to deliver, so the guys at vessel have stepped up.

My thoughts on whether it will succeed, hard to say. Building a userbase is extremely difficult, it comes down to whether or not people are willing to pay for the content, whether enough fans actually value the content enough to part with their own cash. One thing I will say, they need to improve accessibility wise to compete with the likes of YouTube. You can't launch what is to be a paid for service with no Android app, and minimal video quality options. Improve on that, and they might have a chance.

What I expect will happen, is that Google will launch a YouTube paid subsciption service in the near future.

So I've attempted to use vessel and it doesn't work for me, I've been able to sign up, I assume that it's either my browser or something else, but I'm able to log in and I'm just presented with blank screen with my user name and a menu at the top. The menu functions, but when it loads the next screen it's just blank again.

"get early access" this is internet fast lanes all over again

It's like paying to watch a movie in the cinema vs. watching it later on TV (supported by ad revenue).

yeayy New Platform :D great job guys!

Sadly, my connection put me down (i'm Indonesian btw..) , need to buffer so long for 1080p resolution while I can choose 480p on youtube..with no buffering time!

hopefully, need to be more patient though to enjoy cool LinusTechTips contents in fullHD :)

When I clicked log in on vessel.com, it opens a menu to create an account. I have already created my account and can't seem to log in!

"get early access" this is internet fast lanes all over again

This is really important, I totally agree. 

CPU: Intel i7 4790k  Motherboard: MSI Z97S Sli Krait Edition  RAM: 16GB Kingston Hyperx Fury (black)  GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX970  
Case: Coolermaster Mastercase Pro 5  Storage: 1TB WD 120GB Samsung OSD  PSU: Corsair RM750  Monitor: Acer 23"  
KeyboardCM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Blue  OS: Windows 10     Working on hardline watercooling!  :D

Just watched a couple of your videos up on vessel as well as a few others and have had a mixed experience, the site looks great and the interface seems slick and logical but the key issue was that the video suffers from stuttering, pauses and the quality looks average (also the comment system is questionable). Disappointing, coming from a premium service.

As they seem to be a brand new service, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now and see if things improve in the coming weeks and months. If they can deliver a higher quality video experience, without so much of YouTube's ridiculous compression and have high resolution and high frame rate options (where applicable) I would be willing to pay for Vessel, as this would make a big difference particularly for gaming content. But so far they have failed to wow me.

Hey Linus an the Crew,

I can really just stick to what others already said, Vessel just isn't that good yet. There is no option to watch video on lover than HD, only an option to let the site auto select or have HD always on. What if I'm on mobile and it selects HD because I have LTE? My Data Cap is going to kick in in no time. Also about the mobile experience: There's no Android app, what? Am I going to have to watch your videos in a browser?

Sorry, but no. I also think the Vessel really follows form over function, the site is not exactly feature rich at this point. And the design is subjectively too dark.

Plus: Did you ever think about that it's not really that great watching videos on two platforms rather than on one? That hassle itself is probably going to upset a lot of people, me included. I have created a Vessel Account, but dont think I'm going to use it if the site doesnt' get a lot better. And there has to be an app. A good one.

Until that happens I'm going to stick to Youtube and watch video's of product lauches on other channels, sorry. The problem is just that other big channels are doing the same thing as you...

With videos like Build logs, I don't think one week later is that hard, but still I'm a little upset right now.

So, I understand your move, It's good for you because of the money, but maybe not so much for the viewers.

Palmer Luckey, Oculus VR: "Even for consoles, 30 FPS is not an artistic decision, it's a Failure!" |

I've signed up for Vessel. The site looks alright, though the video quality does seem a bit lower than YT. Also, it's missing a chromecast feature as far as I can tell which is a bummer for me...

At the very least, I hope Vessel will be the wake-up call Google needs to fix Youtube. At the moment, I can't really see myself spending a significant amount of time on Vessel.

Keep it up though! I love and support the channel and understand you need to try things out if you want to stay profitable. 

Hi guys!

So i have no problem at all with vessel, and i would love to support your guys with it.

I like the site's design too, but there is one issue.

On Youtube, I can watch 4k videos no problem.

On Vessel, i cannot watch 480p videos. Even this crappy bitrate stutters! It's a HORRIBLE experience!

I can't belive you didnt't check that before the release... I hope it's just temporarily, but i will not use the platform if it doesn't change in the next few days.

- long time fan and supporter

FUCKING YES! FINALLY!   But does it means that the videos will be free of ads? 

I'll sign up if vessel can guarantee me that pewdiepie will never be allowed to join.

If I see https://www.youtube.com/user/JellyYTon Vessel, then I'm out! It seems that people think having a video camera, a microphone, and something to say makes them a superstar (just like Glozell).

I just finished signing up "WyDOGgamer" I am(yoda voice preferably). Dat titan fps though. I also really like the warthog HOTAS.

I'm here to voice the same concern as others.  The video quality on Vessel is horrible.  I’m not excited about having to log into a new service and don’t look forward to the growing pains, but I understand and can live with it.

What I can’t live with is Vessel’s video quality.  Your channel is the only channel I watch that offers 1140p and 4K.  I’ve recently upgraded my monitors to 1440p.  I feel like I am gimping them when I try to use Vessel.

This is a long winded response to say, that I support your channel and appreciate the Vessel trial offer, but I will not use Vessel until full HD options are offered.

Hello Linus and friends,

Over the years, I have witnessed the reviewers that originally started as a branch out for NCIX. It was only recently that I hit the subscribe button. I am more interested in how to's and crazy shenanigans. Your channel earned its Subscribe button press with recent Junk Yard Wars. Its nice to see some content from a local of the Greater Vancouver area. I think few could appreciate the map bouncing you were talking about in the Junk episodes.

Anywho!

I wanted to voice my opinion about the platform shift. Without a doubt, a geek girl such as myself falls under the wacky world of your target audience. While at the same time, I do not feel as I fit under the target audience for Vessel.

A:) There are no Apple products in our home.

B:) In our home, we watch all our media through a Kodi-based Linux box on our Smart TV.

C:) We do not care about "early" access to any the type of content we view on a YouTube/Vessel platform.

I wanted to address these components since the concern appears with heavily with Vessel.

It's important to take into consideration (like I imagine the majority of YOUR audience) do not fall easily into Vessel's audience. I want to talk in stereotypes for a moment. I feel the majority of the viewers of this channel will fall into certain mindsets. I feel the majority of the viewers of LinusTechTips have built a PC. Furthermore, I would extend that to say the majority of the views are very savvy with computers and are unlikely to use iTunes/Apple TV for their media experience. Finally, they would be more inclined to want the same flexibility in their smartphone experience and as such are Android users. Would I be wrong in saying this likely makes up 65% or more of the subscribers of the channel?

Without an Apple product in my home, the reminder in EVERY email from Vessel that they have an iOS app feels like I am not their target audience. The majority of our home viewing is on the Linux box via Kodi on our Sony Smart TV. If our box died, we still have the TV. This will become the standard in most people's homes in the next two years (and based upon CES... the majority of the big brand's like Sony will all run Android TV as their OS.) So, without ANY word of an Android app. I am forced to be in front of my PC with a smaller monitor for viewing Vessel.

I understand this is early in the game for Vessel but I cannot be the only one using Kodi (older versions called XBMC) as their media viewer. A lack of a plug-in is a death-sentence in my current world for a media source.

Finally, I personally do not care about earlier access to the types of content that is offered on YouTube-like platforms (Vessel is so the same thing.) I try my best on my far too limited budget to support the channels that we love. T-Shirts. Patreon. Affiliate Links. So, I support any content creator wanting to find alternatives to funding the show while still providing something valuable for those that support the channel. I noticed that Linus is far the only channel posting about recent changes to YouTube (I also noticed as I attempted to start up a channel.)

All I can say is that I hope things continue to work out for the Channel. Regardless of the platform nonsense, I hope the channel doesn't loose its fan base. <3

There are my two bytes!

We should all be worried about the amount of people posting their contest entries in this thread and NOT the contest thread. *face/palm*

The only reason I'm giving this a shot at all is because it's free for a year, no strings attached. I just don't see the point of Vessel other than the fact that the content creators get more. Realistically, the viewers don't get content any faster since the creators could just as easily upload to Youtube at the same time as Vessel. And besides, the people who are going to sign up and pay for a service like this are the kind of people who would've supported you through other means anyways. It's not like you're getting any new sources of income. In fact, I'd argue that you're just cannibalizing yourself with this. Some people may think that paying for Vessel is enough, and won't bother doing stuff like buying a tshirt or making a forum contribution because they feel they've already supported you. Nothing personal against you Linus, or the team, I just don't see this platform becoming a success.