Best Thermal Paste?

Muffinator
Go to solution Solved by Muffinator,

Shin-Etsu MicroSi G751

Just wanted to mention: I love your server! :D

Do you have it running F@H yet? If so, whats your ppd? ^^

Not folding yet... will be soon. :D Just getting things sorted, not fully finished using it for its primary purpose yet. But not long.

Gaming System: i7 3770k @4.6GHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 8GB Corsair 1600MHz, 2 x MSI GTX 670 PE, Fractal R4, 256GB Crucial M4, Fractal Newton R3 1000W White

Steam Box: Xeon E3 1280 @ 3.5GHz, Intel S1200KP, 8GB Corsair White LP, 1x EVGA GTX 570, Fractal Node 304 White, 64GB Intel SSD, Fractal Tesla R2 650w White

• 1 month later...

There are so many good Thermal Compounds out there. What is the best one?

im using a cooler master hyper 212 evo

Any thermal compound is good really. The slightest degree may make your a world record holder but for us consumers it's not a big deal.

I'd recommend anything that's generally well priced, enough quantity in the tube and the best of both worlds not too watery and not gluppy.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

The most common well regarded ones are:

Arctic MX-4

Arctic Silver 5

Noctua NT-H1

Prolimatech PK-3

And any of the speciality liquid metal ones

The most common well regarded ones are:

Arctic MX-4

Arctic Silver 5

Noctua NT-H1

Prolimatech PK-3

And any of the speciality liquid metal ones

^^ Though I've not heard much about PK-3 I can personally vouch for Arctic Silver 5 and NT-H1, they are both excellent.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Innovation Cooling Diamond. "Carat" is the weight, not the purity; 24 Carat just includes more thermal compound, which performs exactly the same. Xigmatek Freezing Point and Arctic Silver 5 are also good options.

But the difference between the best and worst thermal compound is like, 4 degrees at most. Let's face it, you're using a Hyper 212 Evo; that marginal difference should mean nothing to you. You're hardly K|NGP|N.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for a tube of thermal paste for a Thermaltake BigTyp Revo, and I was hoping it could be under $10, non-conductive, (hopefully) non- or near-non-capacitive, and is overall really good. Right now I'm looking at Arctic MX-2, but I'm curious if there's any other good thermal compound under $10.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'm looking for a tube of thermal paste for a Thermaltake BigTyp Revo, and I was hoping it could be under $10, non-conductive, (hopefully) non- or near-non-capacitive, and is overall really good. Right now I'm looking at Arctic MX-2, but I'm curious if there's any other good thermal compound under $10.

What about arctic MX-4?

Noctua NT-H1 usually is usually pretty highly recommended.

Been using Arctic Silver 5 for as long as I can remember and it has never let me down. In the end the delta-T difference between the different pastes are so tiny that it's not even worth thinking about for normal use.

Artic MX-4, Gelid GC Extreme 2, Noctua NT-H1 or IC Diamond are my go to tubes.

Really depends on application

Arctic Silver 5

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

IC Diamond and Indigo Xtreme are referred to the best in the industry but AS5 does the job.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Artic MX-4, Gelid GC Extreme 2, Noctua NT-H1 or IC Diamond are my go to tubes.

Really depends on application

If I may elaborate, It doesn't really matter a great deal which tube you go. But from my testing and experience

MX-4 tends to work best on a GPU for whatever reason so I just stick with that.

GC Extreme 2 is best for delid and direct on die application, but suffers from pump out over a 3-6 month period depending on how good your mount on the CPU is. So for applications where it will be hard to redo your paste (solid tube water loops, laziness etc) NT-H1 will perform within 5-10 percent of GC Extreme 2, but doesn't suffer pump out.

Then for a regular CPU that hasn't been delidded etc, IC Diamond is best.

For delids I mix and match between GC Extreme 2 or NT-H1 under the IHS and IC Diamond on top of the IHS and that gets the benifits of the pastes being in their comfort zone where they will get the most performance and best temps :)

Hope that helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, im not sure if this is the right section of the forum. sorry. 

My question it what it the highest quality/best thermal paste?

Which will get me the lowest temps?

Also my cpu cooler is a swiftech H220.

what do you guys recommend?

Arctic Silver 5 or NT-H1

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

gelid gc extreme is really awesome stuff

noctua nt-h1 is also great

i dont recommend liquid pro or liquid ultra they suck

Arctic Silver 5 or NT-H1

Meh AS5 is horrible.. That thing requires so much experience and tries or else you're hitting the max temp where your pc complety shuts down. Everytime I used that paste, I kept failing. Using nt-h1 for the first time worked perfectly for me.

looks like ill be buying noctuas thermal paste. Thanks everyone!

Meh AS5 is horrible.. That thing requires so much experience and tries or else you're hitting the max temp where your pc complety shuts down. Everytime I used that paste, I kept failing. Using nt-h1 for the first time worked perfectly for me.

AS5 gave me better temps than NT-H1, the only reason I'm using NT is because I'm out of AS5.

learn2tim

AS5 gave me better temps than NT-H1, the only reason I'm using NT is because I'm out of AS5.

learn2tim

AS5 doesnt spread nicely as nt-h1 and with soft mounts like H100i's on 1155 nt-h1 gives much better temps. AS5 is nothing more besides junk compared to nt-h1.