Sherry Build Log

Preface

I first got into building PCs about 4 years ago.  In my time, I have learned that building is not only fun and enjoyable, but a culture.  So I like to think that my personal build has grown with me over the last several years since I started building and maintaining a PC.  I've developed a bond with it and treat it like it's human.  It's been through my good times and my worst times.  It has especially been special to me while I was going through the hardest time in my life, the death of my mother in July of 2013.  So I have named my build in honor of my mother.  So we call her, Sherry.

I do not have many pictures of Sherry before my current watercooling set up.  I was not that into posting of forums even though I am always lurking here and on reddit.  I seem to do more dreaming and visualizing about my PC then actual building.  But the way I see it, you need to think...think...think again.....and then think even more before actually making any large purchases.  

Quick Personal Background

I'm NiftyMist (obviously).  I'm a 22 year old college student (currently in my junior year) majoring in Information Technology with a specialty in Networking and Cybersecurity.  I have a passion for technology, building PCs, and gaming.  Final little tid-bit, I'm engaged.  Our wedding date is set for September 4th, 2016 which is after we are both finished with our undergraduate studies.

jh0KBoQm.jpg

The Build

Core Specs:

MOBO: Asus Maximus V Gene (Z77)

CPU: Intel i7 3770k (Socket 1155)

GPU: EVGA 780 Ti SuperClocked 

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8 kit (16GB) @ 1600MHz 

PSU: Corsair AX 850

These parts were all bought one at a time to slowly upgrade my build from its original form.  I can't even remember the specs of the original PC.

9xw2PhD.png

Recently I moved on to watercooling Sherry.  It is something I wanted to do ever since I first got into PCs but never had the money to make it happen.  Frankly, I was a little afraid to watercool because I have worked so hard in order to acquire these parts, so I was reluctant to attempt watercooling in the first place.  I did, however, research for the last 2 years about watercooling so I would know what I was getting into if I ever had the extra money.  Then this year, I got way more back on my tax returns than I was anticipating, so I decided now was the right time for me to go watercooling.  

Watercooling Parts:

CPU Block: Phobya UC-2 (Clear)

GPU Block: EK-FC780 GTX Ti with Backplate

Radiators: AlphaCool NexXxos UT60 240 (Front) and AlphaCool NexXxos ST30 240 (Top)

Pump: Swiftech MCP655

Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES MICRO V2

Tubing: PrimoChill Advanced LRT (Clear) 3x8 ID / 5x8 OD

Fittings: XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings and Phobya Black Nickle 90 Degree Compression Fittings

Coolant: Disstilled Water with Mayhem UV Clear Blue Dye

KZ0eCDc.jpg

TO73TtW.jpg

fLKCtLT.jpg

OuQqywa.jpg

6bIXAb6.jpg

This was my first attempt at a drain port.  It has served me well the 3 times I have had to drain the loop so far.  But I have trouble getting all of the water out of the front radiator.  

bx3Sdb5.jpg

As far as cable management goes, I think I have vastly improved my ability to manage cables over the last 4 years.  But this is one area that always has room for improvement, and its free.   :)

JfZax23.jpg

Storage:  

Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB

Mass Storage: WesternDigital Green 1TB

Miscellaneous:

Fans: Noctua NF-F12 x5

Fan Controller: NZXT Grid+

Lighting: UV Cold Cathode

Overclocking:

CPU:  4.0 GHz at 1.2v.  

Temps under load are 61C on the Core and 82C on the CPU Package according the Open Hardware Monitor.  I feel like those temps are rather high for 4.0 GHz.  I'm pretty sure my CPU block is not performing very well because I was able to run the same overclock with an H100i with lower temps.  I used Asus Real Bench for stress testing the CPU.  I've reapplied TIM and I did not get any better results.  

GPU:  1155 MHz Core Clock.  1975 MHz Memory Bus Clock.  All while staying at under 50C in 3DMark.

Thank you for reading this far and checking out my build!

~NiftyMist

Update 1:

So I have moved to a new apartment with my fiance.  Thus my battlestation has changed slightly.  As far as Sherry goes, I've taken out the WD 1TB in the 5.25 inch bay in favor of a BluRay Reader/DVD Reader/CD Reader.  I have also deployed a FreeNAS box for all my data storage.  Here are a few pictures of the new setup for now!

CHaKTdB.jpg

h8ubsLP.jpg

FbQFb7G.jpg

Better picture of Sherry's UV lighting!

Qp6bGBP.jpg

And a bonus picture of my FreeNAS configuration.  Specs can be included if request, but this thread is really about Sherry.

kxBh175.jpg

Get some biocide or silver bullets/coild for the loop, looks like dish water in there.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Get some biocide or silver bullets/coild for the loop, looks like dish water in there.

I do have a silver bullet in the Res.  I have too much dye in the system ATM.  I need to get everything out, but it is really difficult getting it all out of the front radiator.  

Also going to start overclocking as well.  That was a big part of the reason why I wanted to watercool.  That and the silence.  

Congrats on your engagement.

This build is nice but the fluid looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years.

Congrats on your engagement.

This build is nice but the fluid looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years.

There is too much dye in the loop ATM.  I just put fresh distilled water in it today.  I believe that the reason it looks so blue is because I used flash while taking the photos.  The dye is UV reactive so that is most likely the cause for it being so blue.

There is too much dye in the loop ATM.  I just put fresh distilled water in it today.  I believe that the reason it looks so blue is because I used flash while taking the photos.  The dye is UV reactive so that is most likely the cause for it being so blue.

Oh I see. Yea it's not good sometimes to use blue since it starts to look groody. Like @Barnacules's old PC.

Oh I see. Yea it's not good sometimes to use blue since it starts to look groody. Like @Barnacules's old PC.

Yeah, I've noticed that.  I'm considering about switching to a soft white lighting and going with a pastel coolant, but a friend bought me the UV Cold Cathode so I'm going to run with it for a while.

I do have a silver bullet in the Res.  I have too much dye in the system ATM.  I need to get everything out, but it is really difficult getting it all out of the front radiator.  

Also going to start overclocking as well.  That was a big part of the reason why I wanted to watercool.  That and the silence.  

A 1/4 cup of warm vinegar in the water will break up the dye faster but make sure you use the vinegar with only distilled water and not premixed coolants. 

I also chose WCing for OCing and the silence.

i love to see water cooled builds

water cooled builds are just fantastic.  On any budget!

A 1/4 cup of warm vinegar in the water will break up the dye faster but make sure you use the vinegar with only distilled water and not premixed coolants. 

I also chose WCing for OCing and the silence.

I will try that when I get ready to flush it all out.  Any advice for getting all of the water out of the front rad?  I feel that the 90 degree fitting that I have coming as the outlet is the cause of the difficulty to get the water out of it.

I will try that when I get ready to flush it all out.  Any advice for getting all of the water out of the front rad?  I feel that the 90 degree fitting that I have coming as the outlet is the cause of the difficulty to get the water out of it.

The 90 degree fitting won't create any difficulty if you just drain the loop but you will need, should take the radiators out for dusting when you clean your loop so no coolant will remain in the radiator anyway.

When you use the vinegar make sure you flush the loop after about twice.

The 90 degree fitting won't create any difficulty if you just drain the loop but you will need, should take the radiators out for dusting when you clean your loop so no coolant will remain in the radiator anyway.

When you use the vinegar make sure you flush the loop after about twice.

Got it.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Bump for updated overclock info in the main post.

• 2 months later...

Update 1 in the OP.  The build has changed slightly since moving in my fiance, but nothing too major.  Thanks for looking at my build!  :)