How valid is Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for Overclock Stability Testing?

I got my new system and I'm looking to overclock my 4690k, but I want to make sure that I have everything I need first. I've seen a lot of people say that AIDA64 and Prime95 are the go to utilities for stress testing your overclock but I stumbled across a reddit discussion which was talking about using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to stress the overclock instead. 

Has anyone used that utility for stress testing their overclock? Is it a valid alternative to AIDA64 or Prime95?

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

XTU is fine, since it stresses in the same manner as Prime95.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I use XTU when I overclock. It works well and it's definitely a good program for Haswell CPUs.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Very valid

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

The thing I don't like about it and I still haven't gotten an answer from anyone on this is how does this thing report errors?  What does it look like on screen?  Also what is dumb about this software is if you run it for a long time and want to stop the test it gives you no report whatsoever but with Prime95 you do get something.  I could not recommend Intel Extreme Tuning Utility over Prime95.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

The thing I don't like about it and I still haven't gotten an answer from anyone on this is how does this thing report errors?  What does it look like on screen?  Also what is dumb about this software is if you run it for a long time and want to stop the test it gives you no report whatsoever but with Prime95 you do get something.  I could not recommend Intel Extreme Tuning Utility over Prime95.

Blue screen?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It's called a blue screen.

lock up or restart. though not all errors do this.

I use OCCT to test my CPU. cpu test it that gives error warning and then LINPACK to beat my CPU till it cries.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Prime95 overvolts you CPU and can cause it to die, don't use it.

On Haswell CPUs. Ivy Bridge and below are fine. In addition, I believe the latest P95 version addressed the overvolting issue.

On Haswell CPUs. Ivy Bridge and below are fine. In addition, I believe the latest P95 version addressed the overvolting issue.

Has it? Well I'm going to check it out again then, thanks.

Has it? Well I'm going to check it out again then, thanks.

Let me know how it goes. I haven't used it since I switched to XTU.

Yeah, I heard about that. That's why I was hesitant about using Prime95.

Thanks for the rest of the feedback guys!

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

If you have adaptive voltage, it can. Set it to a static voltage to stress test and you should be fine.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Xtu is a great stress test for Haswell chips it is the only stress test that does not over volt with adaptive voltage.

Unfortunately Xtu does not stress AVX instructions to hard. If you use programs that utilize AVX instruction sets you might be better off using prime95 version 24.9 when using prime95 make sure your voltage mode is set for manual / override

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Xtu is a great stress test for Haswell chips it is the only stress test that does not over volt with adaptive voltage.

Unfortunately Xtu does not stress AVX instructions to hard. If you use programs that utilize AVX instruction sets you might be better off using prime95 version 24.9 when using prime95 make sure your voltage mode is set for manual / override

Did P95 get updated for Haswell architectures so that it doesn't overvolt the CPU? I haven't used it in a while but I did remember hearing that the issue was fixed.

I use XTU to OC, but i do not use its built in stress testing. I still prefer running LinX for 15 minutes for each OC, then when i find a clock that survives 15 mins of LinX, i give it a 12 hour Prime95 pass. Thats personally how i test stability. I wouldnt see anything wrong with the stress test either, so long as all of your voltage modes are set to Override, rather than adaptive as recommended by @MegaDave91

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Did P95 get updated for Haswell architectures so that it doesn't overvolt the CPU? I haven't used it in a while but I did remember hearing that the issue was fixed.

Prime95 only over volts the CPU if your CPU mode is set for adaptive.Prime95 works just fine in manual / override voltage mode

In fact all stress test programs will Overvolt in adaptive mode the only ones that will not is Intel Xtu and asus realbench

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Unfortunately Xtu does not stress AVX instructions to hard...

Isn't the heavy AVX stress the reason Prime95 is so hard on Haswell (ok, that combined with Haswell's thermal issues...)?

Also, my own experience with AIDA64 and my 4790K is that it will only overvolt to 1.32 volts.  If your multiplier is not stabilized at or below that voltage it will just blue screen. (edit: on adaptive, just to be clear)

Isn't the heavy AVX stress the reason Prime95 is so hard on Haswell (ok, that combined with Haswell's thermal issues...)?

Nope not at all in fact if you are using an older version than prime95 24.9 then you are not pushing AVX very hard at all even with prime. I don't think the previous versions are AVX enabled and if they are they certainly are not avx2 enable

Prime95 small ffts in my opinion is not good on any platform. this particular test will cause even Sandybridge chips to heat up in a real hurry. If using prime95 always use the blend test it is more indicative of real-world results.

There is a fairly large misconception about prime95 combined with Haswell cores.

Prime95 is still a great stress test even for Haswell. Just be sure to set your CPU voltage mode for manual / override and you're good to go

Like I said before if your stress testing a haswell chip, every stress test program will Overvolt with the exception of Intel XTU & asus real bench