HDMI on NVIDIA cards limited to Limited RGB

Lord Gaben
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

How do you do that?

NVRGB.png

When using the HDMI output on NVIDIA cards you are limited to limited RGB, you do not get Full RGB colours

Apparently you are limited to the 16-235 colour range instead of the full 0-255

On this post there is a test to see If you display is running in limited RGB mode, it is an image and depending on thhe colurs you see you couldbe running in limited RGB mode

Also acccording to a thread over in the NVIDIA forums this problem will be fix with the next BRANCH of driver updates

SOURCES:

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2pcj5g/psa_nivida_users_running_hdmi_output_you_are_most/

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2p3xs7/nvidia_users_using_hdmi_output_youre_most_likely/

NVIDIA Thread:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/523992/geforce-drivers/tip-for-nvidia-users-using-hdmi-and-getting-accurate-color-format/post/4388135/#4388135

RGB test:

http://i.imgur.com/Bw61l68.jpg

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Just use this

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/523992/tip-for-nvidia-users-using-hdmi-and-getting-accurate-color-format/

it is a bug which allows full RGB only to be enabled for media, not for all programs and applications. Luckily theres the fix I posted above :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

that explain why blacks appeared better on my other monitor. i was playing around for ages with them trying to get them to match. i assumed it was due to different brand monitors. 

You are not "limited" to that.  It's just set to that by default, since it assumes it's a TV when it's over HDMI.  Anyone can turn it back to full RGB in the NVIDIA control panel.

Things have been like this for quite a long time I think.

Solution... use DVI or Display Port

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

This has been known for quite a few years to my knowledge.

In any case, there's a tool to fix it I have saved on my USB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

The title is a bit misleading imo. Good thing nvidia is bringing an official fix.

You are not "limited" to that.  It's just set to that by default, since it assumes it's a TV when it's over HDMI.  Anyone can turn it back to full RGB in the NVIDIA control panel.

Things have been like this for quite a long time I think.

How do you do that?

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Solution... use DVI or Display Port

Yeah, but sometimes you have to use HDMI

This is not news. This is something that has been talked about for a few years now.

If you have any trouble, use the appropriate forum sections.

As Glenwing mentioned it happen with DisplayPort as well.

NVRGB.png

OK Thanks, sorry I did not even know about this problem and a post just poped up on reddit about it and seem to be new

@Glenwing Could you possibly close this thread or something as it is not revelant