AMD suggests 16NM finfet chiprs aren't comming in 2015

XTankSlayerX

Amd-logo.jpg

The latest teaser coming from the “Red Team” camp invokes an imminent APU and GPU fabrication process shift, pretty much quashing hopes for seeing 16 nanometer FinFET designs hit the mainstream in 2015.

In the suggestive words of AMD’s very own Chief Technology Officer, Mark Papermaster, “we have our FinFET designs well underway, but we won’t be the first user, the bleeding edge of any new technology node.” In other words, the company’s designs are unlikely to start using the newest 16nm FinFET production process until 2016.

It’s an understandable statement. AMD products have yet to hit 20nm, never mind 16nm, so they need to cross the former milestone first. The company isn’t far behind the curve in this regard, as GPU competitor Nvidia hasn’t hit 20nm yet, either, and many mobile SoCs are still built on a 28nm production node. But this does put AMD far behind big fish like Apple, Intel and Qualcomm.

Mark Papermaster emphasized 28 and 20-nanometer AMD products are in the works for 2015 releases, but sadly, mentioned nothing specific of rumored Caribbean Islands GPUs or revamped Carrizo APUs. We only heard that Carrizo is “very, very power optimized, with very, very efficient CPU and graphics”, and that the focus of the company’s engineers was on the design’s “attributes” rather than squarely the nanometer count.

Im not a AMD User myself but seeing technology advance forward regardless of who's doing it is always a good thing

plz, amd needs a new architecture, the fx series are old, and kaveri is budget, and will bottleneck most high end stuff, plz amd

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Better for them to develop a better platform then to rush one out  

I don't care, a smaller process node isn't going to increase IPC by any means

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Hopefully we find them with 20nm GPU's after Christmas and maybe a teaser of what is to come in the FX department with maybe a pre-Zen launch.  Something of equivelant performance to say Sandy-E or Ivy-E, but with extreme value and a new socket design.  I can hope, atleast. ;-;

Finally catching up to Intel. >.> *cough* Ivy bridge *cough*

They need to catch up to Sandy before they go after Ivy.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Hopefully we find them with 20nm GPU's after Christmas and maybe a teaser of what is to come in the FX department with maybe a pre-Zen launch. Something of equivelant performance to say Sandy-E or Ivy-E, but with extreme value and a new socket design. I can hope, atleast. ;-;

Zen is going to be an APU... Don't know why you people think it will be a dedicated CPU like the FX series. Even Intel is dumping socket 2011 with Skylake. Everything is going iGPU for heterogeneous acceleration.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I don't care, a smaller process node isn't going to increase IPC by any means

Facepalm* Broadwell did exactly that. By shortening the data path Intel shaved 2 cycles off the floating point operations from the original 5. That's a 40% IPC gain for a subset of instructions based purely on the benefits of a process shrink.

Zen is going to be an APU... Don't know why you people think it will be a dedicated CPU like the FX series. Even Intel is dumping socket 2011 with Skylake. Everything is going iGPU for heterogeneous acceleration.

I still dream.

Facepalm* Broadwell did exactly that. By shortening the data path Intel shaved 2 cycles off the floating point operations from the original 5. That's a 40% IPC gain for a subset of instructions based purely on the benefits of a process shrink.

topkek

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Didn't they already drop 2011?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

topkek

I assume you were only referring to AMD with your previous post right? It's fine, since patrickjp93 was likely referring to the overall market with his.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

I assume you were only referring to AMD with your previous post right? It's fine, since patrickjp93 was likely referring to the overall market with his.

I was referring to AMD

I was referring to AMD

Well that clarifies everything.

They need to catch up to Sandy before they go after Ivy.

Already surpassed Sandy Bridge's process node. Sandy Bridge was on 32 nm and Kaveri is on 28 nm.

I'm actually excited to see how well an APU will perform on even a 20nm manufacturing node, let alone 16nm.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I'm actually excited to see how well an APU will perform on even a 20nm manufacturing node, let alone 16nm.

I'm even more excited to see how well Excavator performs. With the use of HDL its equivalent to a full process node improvement. So easily 15-30% increase in performance per watt. Hopefully Carrizo makes it to the desktop and overclocking isn't hindered by HDL. Otherwise AMD might break Sandy Bridge IPC waters easily this time around.

One question, what's a chipr?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

plz, amd needs a new architecture, the fx series are old, and kaveri is budget, and will bottleneck most high end stuff, plz amd

there will be, called Zen, probably on 20nm, not on the 16, it will be a further step

I'm even more excited to see how well Excavator performs. With the use of HDL its equivalent to a full process node improvement. So easily 15-30% increase in performance per watt. Hopefully Carrizo makes it to the desktop and overclocking isn't hindered by HDL. Otherwise AMD might break Sandy Bridge IPC waters easily this time around.

they are using Jim Keller, who created some great desktop CPUs in the past and who created the iPhone CPUs, and you can think whatever you want from iPhone, their CPUs are on the top at mobile processor

Could you have made the AMD logo any bigger?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

they are using Jim Keller, who created some great desktop CPUs in the past and who created the iPhone CPUs, and you can think whatever you want from iPhone, their CPUs are on the top at mobile processor

For Zen yes, Jim Killer was the guy behind the Athlon XP and Athlon 64 processors that dominated Intel in the market. Tho I doubt he has much to do with Excavator while in charge of designing an entirely new architecture from scratch. AMD promises 10% gain in IPC with each future Bulldozer iteration on top of HDL which is equivalent to a full process node improvement. So we should be seeing a 20% increase at least in IPC with Excavator. Tho rumor milled to hell that we wont see Excavator on the desktop but only a Kaveri refresh.

Have you even been keeping up, the will release carrizo and zen

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650