used GTX 780 Ti or a new GTX 970?

roa

Hi guys i need your help to decide.

i got an offer for a 2 months old secondhand GIGABYTE 780 Ti 3x OC for only 290€ instead of 440€, i still have time till tomorrow to decide.

should i just go with the 780 Ti or should i just buy a new 970 for around 320€ - 350€ with free Asassin's Creed Unity? ( NVIDIA Promo )

thanks for help :D

@roa

New 970.

You want 4GB of VRAM.

Try and get a different game than AC:Unity if at all possible.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I dunno, a 780Ti is trumping a 970 at the moment and at 1080p the 3gb vram wont be an issue.

For 'future proofing' I think the performance of a 780Ti would be more useful than the vram on a 970.

@roa

New 970.

You want 4GB of VRAM.

Try and get a different game than AC:Unity if at all possible.

thanks, i have to choose one out of 3. the crew, farcry4 and AC Unity. I only have my eyes on both AC Unity and farcry4 thou..

follow what Faceman says

but hold off playing AC:Unity until Ubisoft fixed the horrible glitches

Crysis 3 and Metro:Last Light are good games to stress test the GPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

The 780Ti is more powerful I think...

Though, I would go with the 970, it has more VRAM, is cooler and more power efficient ;)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

thanks, i have to choose one out of 3. the crew, farcry4 and AC Unity. I only have my eyes on both AC Unity and farcry4 thou..

I am currently playing both. I must say that AC Unity is a good game but it is horribly optimized ( 40 fps at high) and has wierd glitches. Far Cry 4 is also horribly optimized (i get 40fps avg at ultra) but is more of an open style 1st person shooter game. It has more interesting gameplay and a bigger map than Unity.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I would get Far Cry 4.  Game looks awesome.

Even though the 780Ti is performing slightly better(1-3fps) than the 970.  It still makes a lot more sense to buy the 970 because of that extra VRAM.  Some games are requiring a minimum of 4GB for ultra textures.  So, if you want ultra settings, and your video card to last longer, spending a little extra to get the 970 is a much better option, and the game included is actually pretty darn good, so ends up equaling out.

There is a reason why the guy is selling his 780Ti, and its because of the VRAM.  I personally own a 780, and while I love it, there is some motivation for me to sell it because 3GB of VRAM is just not cutting it for these new releases.  Its only going to get worse in the future.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I dunno, a 780Ti is trumping a 970 at the moment and at 1080p the 3gb vram wont be an issue.

For 'future proofing' I think the performance of a 780Ti would be more useful than the vram on a 970.

is it a waste to go with the 970? i'm kinda new with these kind of stuff and don't really understand what to buy 

is it a waste to go with the 970? i'm kinda new with these kind of stuff and don't really understand what to buy 

no its not because of the VRAM, overclocking capabilities and power efficiency

the gap of pure power between a 970 and a 780ti is not that big and the 970s are going to get more driver-based optimization form nvidia down the route

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

I would get Far Cry 4.  Game looks awesome.

Even though the 780Ti is performing slightly better(1-3fps) than the 970.  It still makes a lot more sense to buy the 970 because of that extra VRAM.  Some games are requiring a minimum of 4GB for ultra textures.  So, if you want ultra settings, and your video card to last longer, spending a little extra to get the 970 is a much better option, and the game included is actually pretty darn good, so ends up equaling out.

There is a reason why the guy is selling his 780Ti, and its because of the VRAM.  I personally own a 780, and while I love it, there is some motivation for me to sell it because 3GB of VRAM is just not cutting it for these new releases.  Its only going to get worse in the future.

bruh you cant just assume that the dudes selling his gpu because it only has 3 gigs of vram LMAO let alone the fact its one of the higest tier cards for gaming...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

New 970. And i am getting one too, i'll probably choose AC Unity despite of the bugs and shit.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

bruh you cant just assume that the dudes selling his gpu because it only has 3 gigs of vram LMAO let alone the fact its one of the higest tier cards for gaming...

What other reason would he have other than it doesn't work properly?

If he is selling it to upgrade, then he is upgrading to a GPU that has more than 3GB of VRAM.  As a 780 owner, the only reason I have to upgrade is because 3GB of VRAM is just not cutting it anymore.  The 780 or Ti for that matter is plenty powerful and there is no reason to upgrade whatsoever other than getting more VRAM so that you can run games at Ultra.

Its not a waste.  Going with a 970 is the right move.  You will be playing at Ultra graphics settings with your 4GB of VRAM while a 780Ti will only be playing at Very High with its 3GB of VRAM.  Its a whole level of graphical performance that you are getting, as well as longevity.  The 970 is still new, and more drivers will be released to further improve its performance.  A card with only 3GB of VRAM is the minimum, while 4GB is the new standard.  Going with a 780Ti over a 970, even at 1080p is a mistake.  Those Ultra textures are requiring 4GB for 1080p Ultra settings.

What other reason would he have other than it doesn't work properly?

If he is selling it to upgrade, then he is upgrading to a GPU that has more than 3GB of VRAM.  As a 780 owner, the only reason I have to upgrade is because 3GB of VRAM is just not cutting it anymore.  The 780 or Ti for that matter is plenty powerful and there is no reason to upgrade whatsoever other than getting more VRAM so that you can run games at Ultra.

theres quite the plethera of possibilities my friend.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

theres quite the plethera of possibilities my friend.

I'm just not seeing it.

Aesthetics?

Acoustics?

Heroin addiction and need to sell computer parts to pay for it?

The only truly rational reason I can think of to sell a 2 month old 780Ti is because its not a powerful enough card to run Ultra details on a lot of these new games.

I'm just not seeing it.

Aesthetics?

Acoustics?

The only truly rational reason I can think of to sell a 2 month old 780Ti is because its not a powerful enough card to run Ultra details on a lot of these new games.

What's worth it to some isn't worth it to others though.

If I had a 780ti I'd not be selling it to get a 970/980 because there's no way in my eyes the price justifies it. Not that many cards have 4GB+ vram.

In fact, alternatively, he might be selling off the 780ti because it's more than he needs, maybe he's not gaming very much and has decided to sell that and downgrade. We just don't know do we?

I'm just not seeing it.

Aesthetics?

Acoustics?

option #3

Performance wise 780Ti will beat the crap out of any GTX 970 when both overclocked.

But then again 970 got 4GB VRAM and possibility to use MFAA, which will eventually make it perform better compared to 780Ti using MSAA.

It's a tough call.

There are very misleading info on Youtube channels, people just watch a video and see that 970 managed to beat 780Ti in 1 game and then suddenly decides to sell his GPU to get a new one. Anyone with enough knowledge wouldn't sell his 780Ti to get a 970. Maybe 980 and that's a maybe. But if you're so addicted to always having the best components on market, then maybe. But those kind of people don't give a shit about money anyway.

INTEL Core i7-4790K  ASUS Maximus VII Ranger  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB  CORSAIR AX860i  CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Reasons to go 970:

• It's new -> has brand new warranty in case you might need it
  • Has a free game right away
  • Consumes less energy, it's a green card (got the joke?)
  • Generates less heat
  • Has some functions the 780 doesn't
  • Has early drivers, meaning performance will probably increase with time
  • You can choose the brand model you want

Reasons to go 780:

• Cheaper (for you)
  • Will help out a friend

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

You can easily overclock a 970 G1 Gaming to 1500Mhz. This will trump a 780Ti in many tests. It can even trump a stock 980.

Truthfully I would pick the 970 right now because you do not know what the person did with the 780 Ti.  Was it handled properly, overclocked to the point to where he may have done something internal?  The 970 will be new, comes with a new game and runs cooler. An overclocked 970 will beat a STOCK 780ti if done right.... and yes a 980.  However, nobody buys these cards and keep them at stock.  An overclocked 780 Ti will beat an overclocked 970.  In many tests I have seen an overclocked 980 will beat an overclocked 780 Ti.  Here's the thing, its all in how everything was written.  Each test will favor something else.  So we can say that this test, stupid card beat stupid card.  So what........ 

I have 2 780ti's and I ran the optional ultra hd pack for Shadow of Mordor at 2560x1080 (21:9 res) running a constant 60 fps with VSYNC on.  Oh no!  I can't do that!! That's impossible!  I only have 3 gb of video ram!  Instead of reading based on speculation and ignorant people hypothesis, I would ask real world owners.  I also ran The Witcher 2 with the Uber setting at 1920x1080 running a constant 60 fps with VSYNC on which requires at least 4gb of Video ram.   Oh no!  I can't do that!! That's impossible!  I only have 3 gb of video ram!  You see where I am going with this? 

I have a potato!

Going a 970 certainly isn't a waste, that's not what I was trying to say. What I was trying to say is from a performance and benchmark point of view I don't think anyone can deny that the 780ti is a leader. I don't think any games are having issues with the 3gb vram atm at 1080p gaming.

The 970 does use less power, does have more tech and will mature with driver updates however I still don't think the 970 will reach par with a 780ti

Both are great but at the same price the best scoring card is the 780ti.

You can't make a wrong decision no matter which card you go with.

Honestly I'd go with The Crew over AC Unity, it's just trash on PC.

"Rawr XD"