i7-4790K 100c at load / 50-60c idle? [STOCK COOLER]

Nadbuddy

Hai! I'm not sure if this is software problems or hardware problems, but i have a stock cooler for my i7 4790K (Brave huh?) and i'll get my 212 Evo tommorow.

Anyways, at load while playing games/stress testing with Prime95 it goes all the way to 100c, im not sure where the problem lies.

Heres a screenshot that explains itself:

But my question is whats wrong with the processor? Its still stock clock with turbo boost.. not sure if i can lock it or if that would help.

u6DBHCG.jpg

If you need any more information from me about the CPU, feel free to ask, i really want to know whats going on with the CPU.

I'm afraid that its the CPU and my 212 Evo wont do anything ;(

Have you tried another test like AIDA64 cpu stress test as I think P95 is not verified for the new architectures (might be wrong about this so correct me if I am wrong) and make sure your case has good airflow (open the side panel of the case to see if the temps improve). I never used the stock cooler nor a 4790k so do not know what other temps people are getting with their stock 4790ks.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

stockcoolers suck and your using prime 95 so yea

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

You get an aftermarket cooler tomorrow so just load up a game and have some fun and save the overclocking for when you have a real HSF. 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

50-60c idle is normal i have my processor on stock right now and idles around that. But i would say around 90-100 if left on prime for awhile

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Have you tried another test like AIDA64 cpu stress test as I think P95 is not verified for the new architectures (might be wrong about this so correct me if I am wrong) and make sure your case has good airflow (open the side panel of the case to see if the temps improve). I never used the stock cooler nor a 4790k so do not know what other temps people are getting with their stock 4790ks.

The side panel has always been open, i know that i should because i have a stock cooler CPU and 1 intake fan lol

What is the voltage at for the CPU? Many motherboards overvolt their CPU's at stock.

1.143 V 

thats what CPU-Z said

EDIT: Right i have one more thing, since im getting a CPU cooler with a thermal paste already on it, should i remove the thermal paste on my current CPU? (from the stock cooler) or should i leave it?

If i have to remove it i'll probably have to use dry paper towels and take as much off as possible, don't wanna be buying anything that has alcohol to do, below age limit i suppose :o

1.143 V 

thats what CPU-Z said

EDIT: Right i have one more thing, since im getting a CPU cooler with a thermal paste already on it, should i remove the thermal paste on my current CPU? (from the stock cooler) or should i leave it?

If i have to remove it i'll probably have to use dry paper towels and take as much off as possible, don't wanna be buying anything that has alcohol to do, below age limit i suppose :o

Yes you must remove the previous thermal paste or else it could actually cause your cpu to overheat.  Also am pretty sure you can purchase some Isopropyl alcohol. You dont need to be of age to purchase something that cleans wounds and also thermal paste. I would also try to invest into some aftermarket thermal paste, The one i use is called insignia thermal paste. When my computer is on idle it only goes to 30 - 40 C and playing games on high settings, it never goes above 60c and that is with a stock cooler mind you.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Yes you must remove the previous thermal paste or else it could actually cause your cpu to overheat.  Also am pretty sure you can purchase some Isopropyl alcohol. You dont need to be of age to purchase something that cleans wounds and also thermal paste. I would also try to invest into some aftermarket thermal paste, The one i use is called insignia thermal paste. When my computer is on idle it only goes to 30 - 40 C and playing games on high settings, it never goes above 60c and that is with a stock cooler mind you.

Right, what CPU are you using? I suppose the 4790K isn't suitable with the stock cooler and paste?..

Right, what CPU are you using? I suppose the 4790K isn't suitable with the stock cooler and paste?..

Am using a AMD FX-6300 At 3.5 ghz    I suggest you get a different thermal paste.  On a video Linus shows that having a different thermal paste from the stock one can lower  temperatures drastically. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

UPDATE: 

I updated my BIOS to the latest version F6 (Gigabyte Z97X SLI) and the temperatures dropped about 10c when idle from 60c to 40-45c

Though when its at 100% load it throttles with stock cooler (normal?)

EDIT: Heres temp when idle (right now)

zDCd9bR.jpg

Heres a picture of the AIDA64 CPU stress test

snpTLmK.jpg

That is not normal. You have the HS on wrong or paste wrong. Don't use fanspeed also. Your max should be 70c at the most. Even with volt on auto

I like OCCT is has everything you need to test it

First reapply your past and make sure the HS is on correctly. watch some Intel HS videos on youtube it can be tricky. If you don't have one leg seated correctly it will do this

UPDATE:

I updated my BIOS to the latest version F6 (Gigabyte Z97X SLI) and the temperatures dropped about 10c when idle from 60c to 40-45c

Though when its at 100% load it throttles with stock cooler (normal?)

EDIT: Heres temp when idle (right now)

zDCd9bR.jpg

Heres a picture of the AIDA64 CPU stress test

snpTLmK.jpg

yes, it's completely normal for a cpu with the stock cooler to throttle when at full load, however, you can lower the temps by increasing airflow around the cpu or by of course putting in a different cpu cooler

I5 4670k (Noctua NH U12S), Asus Maximus VI Hero, Nvidia GTX 560 ti Asus DCU II, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Kingston SSDNow v300 120 gb SSD 1TB Seagate Baracuda, Corsair Carbide 300R

I like pie

Stock cooler should not cause your CPU to throttle. Not if its install correctly Ask Intel

yes, it's completely normal for a cpu with the stock cooler to throttle when at full load, however, you can lower the temps by increasing airflow around the cpu or by of course putting in a different cpu cooler

Yes i'm getting the 212 Evo Cooler, they said its an awesome budget CPU cooler.

Anyways one more question, can i remove old thermal paste with dry toilet paper? I don't want to buy any sorts of alcohol or liquids, dont ask why.

EDIT: And i also have my side panel off, for better airflow (i suppose).

The thing is i only have 1 intake fan, so that might cause some issues aswell..

Which case do you have?

How many case fans do you have?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Which case do you have?

How many case fans do you have?

1 Intake 1 Exhaust - Really shit case, im getting a new one in a couple of months

Cooler Master CM Force 500 Midi Tower

1 Intake 1 Exhaust - Really shit case, im getting a new one in a couple of months

Cooler Master CM Force 500 Midi Tower

Maybe you can try both fans as intake, so more air will enter the case.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

well i don't know i am getting 65C load and from 30C to 40C ideling and i am on stock cooler with i5-4690k with a 4.1Ghz overclock

Needs Update

Maybe you can try both fans as intake, so more air will enter the case.

Wouldnt it put pressure into the case? 

My theory is that it wouldnt because the side panel is open.. so air just flows out.

Yes i'm getting the 212 Evo Cooler, they said its an awesome budget CPU cooler.

Anyways one more question, can i remove old thermal paste with dry toilet paper? I don't want to buy any sorts of alcohol or liquids, dont ask why.

EDIT: And i also have my side panel off, for better airflow (i suppose).

The thing is i only have 1 intake fan, so that might cause some issues aswell..

Coffee filter. Toilet paper has lint. And presure in the case is a good thing not bad. Keeps the dust ouot of the cracks in the case.

My Son's did the same i7 4770K with the stock cooler 60deg just surfing the net (we hit 100 deg on stress test) - got a Zalman or coolermaster fan CPU cooler - 26 degrees surfing and 36 degrees when running 2 GTX 770's the thermal paste had been correctly installed on the origional cooler. the i5 of the same generation was not anywhere near as hot - stock cooler is fine. But that 4770k was hot! I think there may be a range of hotness within the same chip . so maybe it runs a bit hotter than others - but its absolutely fine with a good fan cooler.