Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr
1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Can you imagine Microsoft solution to fix applications that are not aware of this? Simply rotate every 90 degrees or minize to fit and then rotate.

Yea probably.  For support, I don't think applications needs to do anything complex for support. Probably will have an API event based function or something for dev to add to adjust whatever GUI element needs to adjust.

Maybe something like that

screen_rotation_event_func(event e) {
  float rotation = getScreenRotationInDegree();
  panel_that_is_floating._rotation = rotation;
}

Of course, we need to wait for the SDK and MS documentation, but it should not be crazy complicated, despite that it seems.

I want that display on a motor, and while it spins around this plays in the background :

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Fast Ring users... you are now joining the Skip Ahead ring.

So now we are back with having Slow and Fast Rings.

The new update bring Fast Ring users to: Build 18252

It has some minor changes:

• Settings panel gets updated with Ethernet configuration options. Moving more stuff from the old style classic panels to the new Settings panels.
    b7b9fd53a44c3e417b8df9012c27e40b-768x730

• New disconnect icon:
    c0f47000651320aa6f4f46f10afcd8b1.png

And has the following fixes:

• We fixed the issue causing Task Manager to report inaccurate CPU usage.
  • We fixed the issue where the arrows to expand “Background processes” in Task Manager blink constantly and weirdly.
  • We added a microphone icon in the system tray which appears when your microphone is in use.
  • Pressing F4 when in Registry Editor will now place the caret at the end of the address bar, expanding the autocomplete dropdown.
  • We fixed an issue where when using dark mode File Explorer’s context menu had an unexpectedly thick white border in recent builds.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the advanced startup pages not rendering text correctly (showing square boxes instead) in certain languages, like Thai.
  • We fixed the issue causing Narrator to crash when reading by line in a Command Prompt.
  • We fixed the issue where Narrator did not read out the Windows Security application name in Shell Notification area (Systray) and only read the recommended actions.
  • The corresponding Ethernet adapter name will now be listed in the sidebar under the “Ethernet” header so you can easily differentiate Ethernet entries at a glace if there’s more than one.
  • In RS5 we introduced extra pages to the Emoji Panel when using it in Chinese (Simplified), and based on your feedback we’re looking to expand these to more languages. After upgrading to today’s build, some Insiders may see them – more details coming later.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Windows Hello not working on the login screen in the previous build (instead of logging in it would prompt you to enter a pin).

Known issues:

• We’re investigating an issue resulting in Settings crashing when invoking actions on certain pages. This impacts multiple settings, including:
    • In Ease of Access, when clicking “Apply” on Make Text Bigger the Settings app will crash and the text size will not be applied.
    • In Windows Security, when clicking hyperlinks the Settings app will crash.
  • If you cannot sign in with any credential and logon fails with error 0xc000005e, rebooting your computer should resolve this.
  • If the update fails with error 0xC1900101, attempting to update again should resolve the issue.
  • Some users may have an issue launching Inbox Apps after updating. To resolve this please check the following thread on the Answers forum: aka.ms/18252-App-Fix.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/03/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18252/

Hi there, I hope this is the correct forum.

Windows 7 Pro x64 user here. However, since all formal support stop on 14 January 2020, I thought of installing Win10. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and started the process to demolish my Win 7, when my eye caught this:

1644493322_1aWFT.JPG.0711ac507d6d3095bc93a707ae0f04c3.JPG

Now, I am not a formal developer for anything computing; however, 1(a) gives me the impression that anything and everything I make on Windows 10, must be solely for use on Windows? Am I correct? I use Xara Designer Pro for some stuff that's not limited to Windoze-use; and some game-dev software for personal use, on both the PC and the (Android) phone (still struggling to get the game running properly, though).

Am I correct or am I wrong? Would I be better served with Ubuntu or Mint, if I wish to eventually (hopefully) go pro with whatever I wish to develop?

Edited by Kosenator

1 hour ago, Kosenator said:

Hi there, I hope this is the correct forum.

Windows 7 Pro x64 user here. However, since all formal support stop on 14 January 2020, I thought of installing Win10. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and started the process to demolish my Win 7, when my eye caught this:

Now, I am not a formal developer for anything computing; however, 1(a) gives me the impression that anything and everything I make on Windows 10, must be solely for use on Windows? Am I correct? I use Xara Designer Pro for some stuff that's not limited to Windoze-use; and some game-dev software for personal use, on both the PC and the (Android) phone (still struggling to get the game running properly, though).

Am I correct or am I wrong? Would I be better served with Ubuntu or Mint, if I wish to eventually (hopefully) go pro with whatever I wish to develop?

This is a thread for Windows 10 that have joined the the Insider program. You can post your question in a new thread in the Windows section of the forum.

But to answer your question: this is in relation of adding software to install as part of the Windows 10 Setup itself. In other words, It is for you to not go "Hey, I added XYZ software to the install phase of Windows 10 as I wanted to install at the same time, and it doesn't work/system has problems now... Microsoft its YOUR fault, fix it!". Also it protects Microsoft from re-distribution of the Windows 10 software which contains extra content not approved by Microsoft (virus, malware, spyware, software not asked for and not part of Windows, etc.). This gives Microsoft the right to: Not provide support for something not supported, and take legal action to anyone redistributing non-vanilla Windows 10 installs.

Once Windows 10 is installed, you can install any software you want.

• 2 weeks later...

New build! Ah yes, finally a new build! I guess things got delayed due to the October release issues, anyway, now comes:

Build 18262

What's new

You can now uninstall the following apps if you choose to:

• 3D Viewer (previously called Mixed Reality Viewer)
  • Calculator
  • Calendar
  • Groove Music
  • Mail
  • Movies & TV
  • Paint 3D
  • Snip & Sketch
  • Sticky Notes
  • Voice Recorder

And now the Task Manager can now show which apps support which DPI Awareness level, let alone if any:

df5e7e0f80318f200f11d6d0e4869922.png

And lastly, Microsoft created a new Troubelshooting system which detects what is the problem overall and take the appropriate action. No need to figure out what needs troubleshooting to fix... Microsoft explains:

Don’t feel like troubleshooting? We’ve got you covered. In previous releases, if you noticed your PC was having a problem, you would have to find the right troubleshooter and then manually walk through all the different steps to resolve it. We hear your feedback that the time that takes to do can be frustrating – why not just automatically fix issues that you know how to fix and can detect? We agree! If an issue occurs we want to get you back up and running as quickly as possible, so with Build 18262 you’ll find a new recommended troubleshooting setting under Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot in Build 18262. This feature uses diagnostic data you send to deliver a tailored set of fixes matching problems we detect on your device and will automatically apply them to your PC.

We’re still hard at work on this feature so it’s greyed out right now in Settings, but stay tuned for updates in future builds!

What's fixed:

• We fixed an issue resulting in App History being blank in Task Manager in the last flight.
  • We fixed an issue from the previous flight resulting in Task Manager’s icon in the notification area of the taskbar not staying visible while Task Manager was open.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the upgrade to the previous flight potentially failing with error 0xC1900101. This same issue could have resulted in Office products not launching, services not starting, and/or your credentials not being accepted on the login screen after first upgrading until rebooting.
  • We fixed an issue where Settings would crash in the last few flights if in Ease of Access you clicked “Apply” on Make Text Bigger.
  • We fixed an issue where Settings in the last few flights might crash in the last few flights when clicking Check for updates or applying an updated Active Hours range.
  • We fixed an issue where Notepad wasn’t listed on the Set Defaults by App page in Settings.
  • When adding a new language in Settings, we now offer separate options for installing the language pack and setting the language as the Windows display language. We also show separate options for installing the Speech recognition and Text-to-speech features, when these features are available for the language.
  • We’ve updated the Printers & Scanners page in Settings to now include a link straight to the troubleshooter in case you need it.
  • Some Insiders may notice some changes to clipboard history – more details later.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in File Explorer not launching if invoked from a pinned Start tile when in Tablet Mode.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the brightness sometimes resetting to 50% after a reboot.

Known issues:

• We’re investigating an issue resulting in Settings crashing when invoking actions on certain pages. This impacts multiple settings, including various links in the Windows Security section.
  • Some users may have an issue launching Inbox Apps after updating. To resolve this please check the following thread on the Answers forum: https://aka.ms/18252-App-Fix.
  • Switching audio endpoints from the volume flyout in the taskbar doesn’t work – there will be a fix for this in an upcoming flight, we appreciate your patience.
  • Task View fails to show the + button under New Desktop after creating 2 Virtual Desktops.
  • If you install any of the recent builds from the Fast ring and switch to the Slow ring – optional content such as enabling developer mode will fail. You will have to remain in the Fast ring to add/install/enable optional content. This is because optional content will only install on builds approved for specific rings.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18262/

I don't know if anyone has started a thread on this but here goes.

Source: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/10/microsofts-windows-10-1809-update-just-got-worse/

Windows 10's Dumpster-Fire Update Just Got Worse

Over the weekend, multiple complaints arose on Reddit about a new file-killing bug in the Windows 10 October Update...

This time, the issue relates to archive operations, with files being overwriting automatically or not being extracted at all without any kind of prompt for the user. This can result in files disappearing with the user being none the wiser. In addition, there are reports of files seeming to copy into the destination folder successfully but not actually updating

One insider continues to explain

The issue is that in 1809, overwriting files by extracting from an archive using File Explorer doesn’t result in an overwrite prompt dialogue and also doesn’t replace any files at all; it just fails silently. There are also some reports that it did overwrite items, but did so silently without asking.

This seems to be a very serious and widespread problem which could lead to user data loss.

Bit more of an explanation

As reported on Ghacks the bug appears to be linked to Windows 10's built-in zip functionality which somehow got broken in the update. Third-party apps such as Bandizip, WinRar and 7-Zip appear to work fine.

Additional Links:

My Thoughts: Haven't heard this much complaint with Windows since Vista and it's another reason not to be an Insider I guess.

Thanks Zac for the heads up. I have been a bit too busy to have a look at this on my side.

I guess, in better news, it is better to have data not overridden then replace...

Skype got updated, and now supports detachable chat conversations.

I don't want to share my conversation and people, so here is a picture from Windows Central:

skype-win10-split-view.jpg?itok=op_jE6pY

It works quite nicely, and very nice.

To enjoy it, you need to have Skype updated, then in Skype, pick "..." menu button, and select "Enable split view"

About the zip issue. Microsoft acknowledge the issue, and already working on a fix:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-you-copy-files-from-a-zip-file-without/18c78dcb-8ec6-4d82-90c6-31b90a428fc7

It does indeed affect Windows 10 October 2018 Update that was just released.

Microsoft said to have a fix ready by early November.

5 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

New build 18267 (19H1), but lame features: there's a new option in Settings to index the entire drive, called "Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer" . This takes a lot of time and the database might be huge if you have tons of files. You could change that using the Control Panel, but now is on Settings and have a shiny new name. And that is basically it.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/24/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18267/#EC6Vz1bgkJ732HYk.97

Actually, this feature is what several people here were looking for. They complain how the start menu search doesn't actually search everywhere on the system like Spotlight on MacOS/OSX.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:12 AM, GoodBytes said:

Thanks Zac for the heads up. I have been a bit too busy to have a look at this on my side.

Happy to help.

On 10/25/2018 at 5:26 AM, GoodBytes said:

Sticky Notes (v 3.1) gets Dark Mode

Didn't they also add a Sync feature? So my Sticky Notes will sync across Windows 10 devices where my Microsoft Account is signed in? Seems like a pretty useful feature.

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Didn't they also add a Sync feature? So my Sticky Notes will sync across Windows 10 devices where my Microsoft Account is signed in? Seems like a pretty useful feature.

3.0 got this feature if I am not mistaken.

If memory serves correct, if you are on Android, MS Sticky notes will be sync there too (not sure if you have to be Insider as well)

New Build - Build 18272

• ISO download available

What's new:

• Sign-in Options Redesigned for Windows Hello

Security shouldn’t be intimidating, and we aspire to help you eliminate passwords. That’s why we want to make sure you can easily set up your first line of defense securing your device with Windows Hello. Your feedback that the previous design was cluttered, and confusing is what drove us to simplify the Sign-in options Settings. We believe this update will help you choose the safest and fastest sign-in option for your needs, whether that’s using a PIN or a biometric factor like fingerprint or facial recognition.

Ultimately, we want to help you make the right decision for your situation. By condensing each sign-in option into a list that explains individual properties and next step for setup, we hope you feel more informed the next time you decide how you want to sign in using enhanced security features with Windows Hello.

• More languages for swift keyboard

Expanding SwiftKey’s Typing Intelligence to More Languages: In RS5 we started working on bringing SwiftKey’s AI technology to Windows, and we’re excited to announce that we’re expanding support to the following languages:

English (Canada) – en-CA English (India) – en-IN French (Canada) – fr-CA French (Belgium) – fr-BE French (Switzerland) – fr-CH Portuguese (Portugal) – pt-PT German (Switzerland) – de-CH Spanish (United States) – es-US

• Indic Phonetic keyboard support:

Do you write in an Indic language? We’ve heard your feedback, and in addition to the Indic Traditional INSCRIPT keyboards already available, with today’s build we’re adding Indic Phonetic keyboards for Hindi, Bangla, Tamil, Marathi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Odia, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam!

How does a phonetic keyboard work? Basically it’s a convenient way of typing that leverages the English QWERTY keyboard – as you type, we use transliteration to suggest possible Indic text candidates. For example, if you typed “namaste” using the Hindi Phonetic keyboard we would suggest नमस्ते, as you can see in the below gif:

a9cf846468b1352bec7f8f3e7735b8fb.gif

• Snip & Sketch supports Printing, JPG and GIF screen shot saving. It also includes the option to have an outline be drawn around the screenshot.

• Sticky Notes 3.1 now includes Note sync with online, and accessible here: http://www.onenote.com/stickynotes

Bonus unlisted new feature from the main release notes:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2018/10/31/windows-console-ctrl-scroll-to-zoom-and-dark-theme-scrollbar/

Fixes and Improvements:

• We’re rolling out a feature where if you right click on a group name or tile folder in Start, you will now have an option to unpin it. Currently 50% of Insiders will have this option.
  • We fixed an issue where Task Manager settings wouldn’t persist after closing and reopening Task Manager in recent flights.
  • We fixed an issue where only users in Vietnam could use the new Vietnamese Telex and Number key-based keyboards. Now anyone can use them – please try it out if you’re familiar with the language!
  • We fixed an issue where doing an upwards search with wrap enabled in Notepad wouldn’t find the last word in the text.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in Settings crashing when navigating to Data Usage.
  • We fixed an issue where starting the PIN removal process in Settings then clicking Cancel when prompted for your password would crash Settings.
  • We fixed an issue where twinui.dll would crash on some devices in the last few builds after selecting a wireless display to project to from the Connect flyout.
  • We fixed an issue where enhancements selected under Speaker Properties > Enhancements wouldn’t persist on upgrade.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in FLAC metadata being cut short in File Explorer and other locations.
  • The “Forget” option for Wi-Fi profiles is now available for non-admin users.
  • Ctrl + Mouse Wheel Scroll to zoom in text is now supported in Command Prompt, PowerShell and WSL.
  • When using dark theme (Settings > Personalization > Colors) your scrollbars in Command Prompt, PowerShell and WSL will now become dark too.
  • We fixed an issue with the console that could cause graphical glitches in the embedded terminal of VS Code (see Microsoft/vscode#57803).
  • The options to change your default app mode and enable/disable transparency have moved to the top of Colors Settings so it’s easier for people to find.

Known issues

• Task View fails to show the + button under New Desktop after creating 2 Virtual Desktops.
  • Some users will notice the update status cycling between Getting Things Ready, Downloading, and Installing. This is often accompanied with error 0x8024200d caused by a failed express package download.
  • If you have a have a large number of OTF fonts, or OTF fonts that support the extended East Asian character set, you may experience some unexpectedly missing text across the system. We’re working on a fix. If you encounter this issue, navigating to the Fonts folder (c:\windows\fonts) may resolve it.
  • PDFs opened in Microsoft Edge may not display correctly (small, instead of using the entire space).
  • We’re investigating a race condition resulting in blue screens if your PC is set up to dual boot. If you’re impacted the workaround is to disable dual boot for now, we’ll let you know when the fix flights.
  • The hyperlink colors need to be refined in Dark Mode in Sticky Notes if the Insights are enabled.
  • Settings page will crash after changing the account password, we recommend using the CTRL + ALT + DEL method to change the password.
  • WSL will not work on this build. If you require WSL to work, you can rollback to Build 18267.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/31/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18272/

Another undisclosed new feature to this build:

Unpin groups in Start Menu. You can unpin an entire group (removing all the tiles inside) by simply right-clicking on a group name, and pic: "Unpin group from Start"

This was noticed by a user on Twitter:

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Snip & Sketch supports Printing, JPG and GIF screen shot saving. It also includes the option to have an outline be drawn around the screenshot.

Is this replacing Snipping Tool or is this just an alternative and Snipping stool will still be around?

New Build 18277 for Fast Ring

This build has a few small interesting new features.

• Focus Assist, now has an option to mute notifications when you have a content full screen, that isn't a game (games has its own option). So this means, when you are playing a video full screen, for example.
    b16ccf9dcc827868ee6c0581c3794b26.png

• Brightness control on the Action Center is FINALLY a slider.
    f3ded6e39f880d45e21a71dd7964af5d.png

• You can now unpin and move action center buttons directly from the Action Center itself. This animated GIF from MS shows how it works:
    614f30eeed4919d6d5c4539f0ec512a1.gif

The rest is less interesting for us, but just in case, here it is:

Preparing for Emoji 12

With today’s build, Insiders will get a first look at the emoji we’ve designed so far in preparation for the Emoji 12 release! These emoji are available for use via the emoji panel (WIN + .) and the touch keyboard.

A selection of the new emoji. Including waffle, guide dog, yawning, sloth, and more.

Note: The complete list of emoji for the Emoji 12 release is still in Beta, so Insiders may notice a few changes over the coming flights as the emoji are finalized. We have a bit more work to do, including adding search keywords for the new emoji, and adding a few emoji that aren’t finished yet.

High DPI Improvements

As many of you know, we’ve been working over the past few years to improve the High DPI story for Win32 (desktop) apps on Windows. As part of this, some of you may recall getting a toast about fixing your apps that led you to this setting we added with Build 17063:

Settings page “fix scaling for apps” with “let Windows try to fix apps so they’re not blurry”.

In 19H1, we’re enabling this setting by default, to help automatically address some of your scaling feedback, and reduce the number of times you see that “Fix blurry apps” notification.

We’d love your feedback! Notice that some of your apps seem blurry after docking/undocking, or other mixed DPI scenarios? You can let us know by reporting it here!

If you’re interested to learn whether or not an app is DPI aware you can find out using this feature we rolled out to Task Manager a few flights ago.

Windows Security gets an additional Windows Defender Application Guard setting

Insiders will notice that Isolated browsing has an additional toggle that lets users manage access to their camera and microphone while browsing using Application Guard for Microsoft Edge. If this is managed by enterprise admins, users can check how this setting is configured. For this to be turned on in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge, the camera and microphone setting must already be turned on for the device in Settings > Privacy > Microphone & Settings > Privacy > Camera.

5ed9e7d792e02a2ebc9ff58ae0aa449a-1024x74

Refreshing the Japanese IME

We’ve already made a few announcements about how we plan to improve your typing experiences in Windows with this release, and we’re excited to add one more to the list today! To provide increased security and reliability, we’re updating the Japanese IME by redesigning how it works with applications. Not only that, but we’ve updated the IME candidate window interface to be cleaner and more polished:

The new candidate window that has numbering index for the predictive input of the new Japanese Microsoft IME.

You’ll notice that each text prediction candidate now has an index so you can quickly select it, just like the conversion candidates! We’re looking forward to you trying it out, and that’s not all! As part of this work, all of your familiar Japanese IME settings have now been fully integrated into Settings. If you’d like to check them out, fastest way there is to right-click the IME mode indicator in the taskbar and select Settings, although you can also get there from the Language Settings page.

Showing the new Japanese Microsoft IME settings.

Some Insiders have had this change for a few flights now, so we wanted to take a moment to say thank you for all of your great feedback so far! Please don’t hesitate to continue sharing thoughts with us about typing in Windows – our ears are open and we’d love to hear from you.

General Fixes and improvements:

• We fixed the issue causing WSL to not work in Build 18272. Thanks for your patience.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in text not rendering on the screen if you had a large number of OTF fonts, or had OTF fonts that support the extended East Asian character set.
  • We fixed a recent issue where Task View failed to show the + button under New Desktop after creating 2 Virtual Desktops.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Timeline crashing explorer.exe if you pressed ALT+F4 while it was visible.
  • We fixed an issue significantly impacting Start menu reliability in recent builds when pinning, unpinning, or uninstalling apps.
  • We fixed an issue where the expected context menu wouldn’t appear after right-clicking on a folder in File Explorer from a network location.
  • Some Insiders may notice small differences in File Explorer over the coming flights – we’ll have more to share later about this later.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the home page of Settings having no visible scrollbar in recent flights if the window was small enough to need one.
  • We’re updating the icon used to identify the Region page in Settings.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Settings crashing sometimes in recent flights when going to Sign-in Settings.
  • We fixed an issue where Settings would crash if you were typing in the search box with the embedded handwriting panel and went to switch languages within the panel.
  • We fixed an issue where playing videos might unexpectedly show a few frames in the wrong orientation when maximizing the window after changing the orientation of your screen.
  • We fixed an issue impacting Emoji Panel reliability in recent flights.
  • The touch keyboard’s feature to input a period after two quick taps on the spacebar was recently also accidentally enabled when typing with the hardware keyboard and has now been disabled.
  • We’ve made some adjustments to improve the performance of WIN+Shift+S bringing up snipping.
  • Some Insiders may notice changes to our snipping experiences, as we explore ideas for the future – we’ll have more details to share later.
  • We fixed an issue that caused Far Manager to have a significant pause during a long running command like ‘dir’ (see Microsoft/console#279).
  • We fixed an issue that caused Windows applications running from WSL through interop and applications using the *PseudoConsole APIs to redraw the top left corner excessively (see Microsoft/console#235).
  • We fixed an issue resulting in running “start .” from Command Prompt failing in the previous flight with an access denied error.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders experiencing bug checks (green screens) with the error KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on the previous flight.
  • We fixed an issue where certain devices might hit a bug check (GSOD) when shutting down or when switching from a Microsoft account to a local admin account.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in wuaueng.dll repeatedly crashing in the background for some Insiders in the last few flights.

Known Issues:

• Some users will notice the update status cycling between Getting Things Ready, Downloading, and Installing. This is often accompanied with error 0x8024200d caused by a failed express package download.
  • PDFs opened in Microsoft Edge may not display correctly (small, instead of using the entire space).
  • We’re investigating a race condition resulting in blue screens if your PC is set up to dual boot. If you’re impacted the workaround is to disable dual boot for now, we’ll let you know when the fix flights.
  • The hyperlink colors need to be refined in Dark Mode in Sticky Notes if the Insights are enabled.
  • Settings page will crash after changing the account password or PIN, we recommend using the CTRL + ALT + DEL method to change the password
  • Due to a merge conflict, the settings for enabling/disabling Dynamic Lock are missing from Sign-in Settings. We’re working on a fix, appreciate your patience.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/11/07/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18277/

• 1 month later...

Oh. I taught I posted the last build, with the Light Mode... Anyways, too late now...

New Build - Build 18298

• File explorer get a new icon, making it nicer looking for both dark and Light theme modes
    121cdcbeccac6c0e5a295846619b1e37.png

Looks like they adjusted a bit the colors, and added drop shadow. Looks more professional in my opinion

• You can now unpin whole groups and folders in the Start menu, removing all items under them in 1 go.
  • The touchscreen keyboard finger detection has been improved, with better detection of miss hit of keys (as it is a touch screen).

• Notepad gets some improvements as well:
    • Improved UTF-8 encoding support
    • Asterisk will now show on the file name on the title bar if the file has been modified from the last save.
      480af4b44d58f12e896589663c266830.png
    • New "Send Feedback" direct link menu item has been added to Help menu.
    • Ctrl+Shift+N will open a new Notepad window.
    • Ctrl+Shift+S will open the Save as… dialog.
    • Ctrl+W will close the current Notepad window.

• Ease of Access continues to have progress made.
    • Narrator window has a new welcome screen to guide you, and has a long list of features

Verbosity improvements: In settings, there are five new verbosity levels that control the amount of information you hear about text, controls, and other document attributes. Press Narrator + V to cycle through verbosity levels. When you don’t want to hear advanced information, you can turn off “Hear advanced information about controls when navigating.” You can also get the tooltip of the focused item by pressing Narrator + 0. Read URLs with a new command: Narrator will tell you when you’ve navigated to links, but it doesn’t read the entire URL aloud by default. If you want to hear the entire URL, press Narrator + 0. Note: If the Narrator setting for “Hear advanced detail, like help text, on buttons and other controls” is checked, you will continue to hear URLs read out automatically.

Easier table-reading: In Edge, Narrator no longer announces “non-selected” when you navigate between cells in a table if the aria-selected property hasn’t been set. Narrator also won’t announce when you exit and re-enter a table when you’re reading a single table continuously. Narrator will also not announce parent table information when you navigate to a nested table. In Excel, Narrator now prioritizes reading the data in a column header before announcing whether a filter is on. Narrator also now correctly reads out column headers in a grid formatted as a table when you use the “Read current column header” command.

Updated capitalization reading: Capitalization reading is now available in all reading modes. You can turn it on and off quickly by pressing Narrator key + 4 when you need extra detail while reading or writing. You can also press Windows logo key + Ctrl + N to access your settings, then choose Increase pitch or Say cap under Change how capitalized text is read. If you choose Increase pitch, Narrator will accentuate capitalized, mixed-case, and upper-case words with increasing levels of voice pitch. If you choose Say cap, Narrator will say “cap” to identify capitalized words, “mix cap” for mixed-case words, and “all cap” for uppercase words.

Stay focused when you’re reading content: It’s now easier to stay focused when you’re reading content on the web: Reading and navigation commands stay within webpage content areas when you’re using most web browsers, like Microsoft Edge. This also works when you’re reading email in Outlook or the Mail app. You can still move out of content areas using Tab or shortcut keys.

Move your cursor as Narrator reads: When you’re reading text, your cursor doesn’t move from where you placed it. Now, you can choose to have it follow the Narrator cursor by checking the box next to the setting Move my cursor as Narrator reads text. More consistent reading experience: You can now use Narrator text-reading commands (previous/next for character, word, line, sentence, paragraph, or page) to read a full window from top to bottom. Views options are consistent whether or not you’re reading text. For example, you can use views to search for a link anywhere within an active window. You’ll also notice a smoother reading experience, with more natural-sounding pauses and phrasing.

Hear when you’re pressing certain keys: Narrator settings offers new groups of keyboard keys you can choose to have spoken when pressed. You can independently select Hear letters, numbers, and punctuation as you type, Hear function keys as you type, Hear arrow, Tab, and other navigation keys as you type, Hear when toggle keys like Caps lock and Num lock are turned on or off, and Hear Shift, Alt, and other modifier keys as you type.

Combo edit support: Narrator now recognizes combo edit controls and will speak them as “combo edit” instead of just “edit.” Narrator stays on while you reset your PIN or password or password: If you forget your PIN or password for your Microsoft account, Narrator will stay on the whole time while you reset it.

• You can now finely adjust the cursor size and set it a color.
      216545387a9321d7b30b44733c9c8513.png

Note from me: Please note that this will not use the pre-made cursor graphics. The issue with .cur files (cursor files) is that they never got updated to have 1 cursor with different sizes like icons. This is why in the mouse panel, you have set sizes you can pick from. Basically, .cur files as like a normal image file. While icons (*.ico) are image files that contains multiple sizes of itself.

If you use the above, it will use a rendered basic cursor (old Windows style), so that it can give you the different sizes form the slider.

What's fixed:

Snip & Sketch

• We fixed an issue where the bottom of the snip might get truncated.
  • When saving as jpg, we’ll now use a white background as the background for margins and free form snips.
  • We fixed an issue where if you wrote your own file name when saving a snip, and then went to save again, an autogenerated name would be shown for the proposed file name instead of the one you’d written earlier.
  • We fixed an issue where temp image files in app storage were never cleaned up, leading to potentially a large amount of space being used if you took a lot of snips.
  • We’ve made some improvements to address an issue where the app might hang when opening or annotating a high resolution image when auto-copy was enabled.

Windows

• We fixed a merge conflict resulting in the Dynamic Lock settings being missing from Sign-in Settings.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Insiders seeing green screens with error System Service Exception in win32kbase.sys when interacting with certain games and apps in the last two flights.
  • The update block for a small number of PCs using Nuvoton (NTC) TPM chips with a specific firmware version (1.3.0.1), due to a bug causing issues with Windows Hello face/biometric/pin login not working, has been removed as this build contains a fix for that issue.
  • If you’ve turned off transparency effects, that preference will now also be reflected on the sign-in screen.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Settings crashing for some Insiders when clicking “Check for Updates”.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Settings crashing for some Insiders when going to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in night light settings not working and getting stuck in the last few flights.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in an unexpected amount of space between the categories and subcategories in Settings in recent flights.
  • We fixed an issue where the folder size wasn’t calculated correctly in File Explorer’s Properties dialog when there was a path that was longer than MAX_PATH involved.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in menu flyouts appearing blank when using the Arabic display language.
  • We fixed an issue where when inking on a PDF in Microsoft Edge, if you erased some ink quickly after starting the inking session, then added more ink, upon saving the PDF not all ink may be saved.
  • We fixed an issue where the handwriting panel might crash when using your pen to input into win32 apps in recent builds.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to type into certain tables using the Vietnamese Telex keyboard.
  • We’ve made some adjustments when text scaling is enabled to emphasize the icon in the Action Center quick actions so that the text doesn’t overlap.
  • We’ve made some improvements so that if theme truncation is detected, we will now handle this more gracefully and not result in unexpectedly thick borders around your windows.
  • We’ve made some improvements to reduce the number of times where you might see the error “Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme. Do you still want to save the theme?” appear.
  • We’re updating the timeout period when dictating (WIN+H) to be from 5 seconds to 10 seconds, to give you a bit more time to think about what you want to say. If you’d like to stop the dictation before then, just say “Stop dictating” or press WIN+H (same as in previous builds).
  • We fixed an issue on the touch keyboard resulting in some letters unexpectedly being black instead of white in dark theme.
  • We fixed an issue where the “…” menu in clipboard history (WIN+V) was clipped in recent builds.
  • We fixed an issue where when displaying the name of a known file type (one registered under HKCR\<.File Extension>) File Explorer would display an empty string for the file name in some cases. Now, if a file name is not available, File Explorer will always show the extension name, even if Show File Name Extensions is turned off.
  • We’ve updated the microphone and camera privacy settings pages to provide information on which apps are currently using the microphone and camera and the date/time apps last accessed your microphone and camera.
  • We fixed an issue where Magnifier would not start automatically even when “start after sign-in setting” for Magnifier was enabled if Narrator was not set to auto start after sign-in.
  • We fixed an issue where Magnifier did not work with Touch when Centered mouse mode was enabled.
  • We fixed an issue where Narrator sometimes would not start after completing Out of Box Experience (OOBE).
  • We fixed the issue causing Narrator to start unexpectedly. We also made it easier to turn off Narrator when it was launched unintentionally.
  • We fixed an issue where Narrator scan mode did not turn off automatically when you focused the address bar in Microsoft Edge.
  • We fixed an issue where Narrator heading navigation was skipping some headings in Chrome.
  • We fixed an issue where Narrator read page loaded notification multiple times in Chrome.
  • We fixed an issue where Narrator did not read Edit box placeholder text in Chrome.
  • We fixed an issue that caused the settings page to crash after changing the account password or PIN.

Known issues

• Settings crashes when clicking on the “View storage usage on other drives” option under System > Storage.
  • The Windows Security app may show an unknown status for the Virus & threat protection area, or not refresh properly. This may occur after upgrade, restart, or settings changes.
  • Delete previous version of Windows in Configure Storage Sense is not selectable.
  • Settings will crash when opening Speech Settings.
  • The cmimanageworker.exe process may hang, causing system slowness or higher than normal CPU usage. This can be bypassed by rebooting the machine if it occurs.
  • Launching games that use BattlEye anti-cheat will trigger a bug check (green screen) – we’re investigating.
  • USB printers may appear twice in the Devices and Printers under Control Panel. Reinstalling the printer will resolve the issue.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/10/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18298/

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

File explorer get a new icon, making it nicer looking for both dark and Light theme modes121cdcbeccac6c0e5a295846619b1e37.png

I actually like the new File Explorer icon, looks like Microsoft are lining up an icon refresh, first Office icons and now file explorer...I'd be down for revamped system icons, My Pictures, My Documents, My Music etc.

Forgot to mention, Skype now has system notification icon, like the old classic app version.

When Skype runs on the back it shows next to the system clock, and you see it change when you receive a message.

939110051_Annotation2018-12-12080631.jpg.040b4b26fbd01139a372df8531afbda1.jpg

been awhile since i posted in here... lol but things are looking pretty nifty lately with these builds.

interesting with whats going to happen with edge development, I am intrigued to see how they pull it off myself. I suppose we wont really see a difference on surface but we may see many things change under the hood, frankly I was/am satisfied with edge as it is but as things go... change is inevitable but to see Microsoft throw in the towel like this, oh well. /shrug.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

25 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

been awhile since i posted in here... lol but things are looking pretty nifty lately with these builds.

I agree.

25 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

interesting with whats going to happen with edge development, I am intrigued to see how they pull it off myself. I suppose we wont really see a difference on surface but we may see many things change under the hood, frankly I was/am satisfied with edge as it is but as things go... change is inevitable but to see Microsoft throw in the towel like this, oh well. /shrug.

Or there will be no change, and people will speak highlight of the new Edge, and then Microsoft goes: "Surprise! It was Edge all along. lolz". :D