O your talking ISOs I thought you were talking encoding, my bad but yea ISOs thats what all those bare drives are for.

What media formatting has the lowest quality loss?

Remux

Remux

I'd have to suggest that because I don't know the best format for blue rays

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Remux

there would be now loss the but you would still have a giant file and all the incompatibility of the BD your better off leaving it as an ISO and stripping everything but the main movie because at least programs will still treat it as a BD.

there would be now loss the but you would still have a giant file and all the incompatibility of the BD your better off leaving it as an ISO and stripping everything but the main movie because at least programs will still treat it as a BD.

Why could you not just use the Remux format then find software that can play that back and you are all set ?

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Why could you not just use the Remux format then find software that can play that back and you are all set ?

I believe he means that remux sill loss a bit of quality...

I believe he means that remux sill loss a bit of quality...

Well he said it was the format that had the least amount of quality loss, I guess you could just use ISO and them mount it to watch the video...

I'd have to suggest that because I don't know the best format for blue rays

video would be H.264 and youd use either mp4 or mkv for the container. For mkv youd use FLAC for the audio and ASS for the subs. For mp4 youd use AAC for the audio and SRT for the subs. I would also a limit on the bitrate for the video in the mp4 for compatibility.

video would be H.264 and youd use either mp4 or mkv for the container. For mkv youd use FLAC for the audio and ASS for the subs. For mp4 youd use AAC for the audio and SRT for the subs. I would also a limit on the bitrate for the video in the mp4 for compatibility.

I think the OP has his answer then lol

Well he said it was the format that had the least amount of quality loss, I guess you could just use ISO and them mount it to watch the video...

yea that wold be with no loss. a remux would be basically taking the main movie of the BD and demuxing it then remuxing it into a mkv without touching ant of the files.

Afaik, all remuxing does is take a video, any number of audio and subtitle streams (from the source media) and inserts it into an MKV or MP4 container. The video remains untouched.

If the Video is encoded in a codec (Xvid, x264, h.264, etc) that isn't supported on a particular device, then it won't play - changing the container doesn't magically make it work. Re-encoding video results in loss of quality.

MakeMKV works for Blu Ray -> MKV file, but isn't free. x264 is a good codec to use for low file sizes, but still retaining acceptable quality.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Afaik, all remuxing does is take a video, any number of audio and subtitle streams (from the source media) and inserts it into an MKV or MP4 container. The video remains untouched.

If the Video is encoded in a codec (Xvid, x264, h.264, etc) that isn't supported on a particular device, then it won't play - changing the container doesn't magically make it work. Re-encoding video results in loss of quality.

MakeMKV works for Blu Ray -> MKV file, but isn't free. x264 is a good codec to use for low file sizes, but still retaining acceptable quality.

You couldnt remux something into a mp4 if the souce is a disc because a MP4 is very strict on what it can contain.

you shouldnt be using DIVX/XVID for quite some time now unless your device requires it as H.264/AVC1 has been the standard since at least the launch of the BD.

I would use Handbrake or RipBot264 if you want a simpler GUI that still had some power or MeGUI if you want a ton of power but still need a GUI and want batch support. If you want all the power in the world go CLI, it take a fair bit of learning probably though.

x264 is not a codec its an encoder for H.264, the same codec used on BDs and just about everything else now.

I decided to build a home file server after completing my first gaming/workstation PC build. I enjoyed the process of building a computer too much that I just needed another project. I got sick of storing my media collection on external HDD's trying to keep track of where everything was and trying to have everything backed up across multiple drives.

I have this file server set up using a RAID 5 configuration using 5x3TB drives which gives me a total of 12TB usable storage space (10.8TB's formatted). The purpose of this server is to back up all the PC's in the house, as well serve as a single location for all my media so I don't have to keep track of everything across multiple PC's and external HDD's.

If you would like to check out my other build log it's named 'SilentCure' and is pinned under the 'Build logs of the week' section of 'Build logs'.

Any Q's please feel free to ask. Thanks for checking it out!

specList -

Case - Bitfenix Prodigy with windowed side panel

PSU - Seasonic 400W 80+ Platinum series fanless

MOBO -  ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe

RAM - 2x4GB G.SKILL 1600MHz CL8-8-8-24 1.5V

CPU - Intel Core i3 3225 3.3GHz

CPU cooler - Noctua NH-L9i

RAID controller - Adaptec 6805 8 port

HDD's - 5x3TB WD RED

Boot drive - Samsung 256GB 840 Pro

Fan controller - Bitfenix Recon

Fans - 1x230mm Bitfenix Spectre - front intake

1x140mm Enermax Apollish Vegas - rear exhaust

2x120mm Enermax Apollish Vegas - top intake

1x80mm Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPRO - RAID controller heatsink cooler

Lighting - RGB 60 LED strip

OS - Windows 8

post-20982-0-16862300-1376449254.jpg

post-20982-0-58753400-1376449276.jpg

post-20982-0-75542300-1376449300.jpg

post-20982-0-47914500-1376449323.jpg

post-20982-0-00782800-1376449347.jpg

post-20982-0-48669500-1376449369.jpg

post-20982-0-25857200-1376449394.jpg

post-20982-0-37133000-1376449416.jpg

post-20982-0-21213500-1376449439.jpg

post-20982-0-65517600-1376451911.png

post-20982-0-94248600-1376452143.png

post-20982-0-96434700-1376452144.png

post-20982-0-84872000-1376453351.png

I decided to build a home file server after completing my first gaming/workstation PC build. I enjoyed the process of building a computer too much that I just needed another project. I got sick of storing my media collection on external HDD's trying to keep track of where everything was and trying to have everything backed up across multiple drives.

I have this file server set up using a RAID 5 configuration using 5x3TB drives which gives me a total of 12TB usable storage space (10.8TB's formatted). The purpose of this server is to back up all the PC's in the house, as well serve as a single location for all my media so I don't have to keep track of everything across multiple PC's and external HDD's.

If you would like to check out my other build log it's named 'SilentCure' and is pinned under the 'Build logs of the week' section of 'Build logs'.

Any Q's please feel free to ask. Thanks for checking it out!

specList -

HDD's - 5x3TB WD RED

OS - Windows 8

Damn.. Nice job ! :D

I never ripped bluray before... I'll start ripping after I'll have enough space (right now I have a 128GB SSD for boot and key apps, and 1TB for storage (already almost full)... I don't think I'll do any compressions, I'd like to keep the quality as high as possible...

We should probably create a new thread for this topic, but I use BD rebuilder. I use a movie only rip and set it for 'no encode' for a 1:1 full quality rip. It keeps it in the same bdmv folder structure, and all the stream files are merged into a single lossless m2ts file. The movie size is about 20GB for a 90 minute feature.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

specList -

HDD's - 5x3TB WD RED

OS - Windows 8

Very nice build, your added to the list with 15TB

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

[...]

Nice, clean and packing a very nice punch for that size. Yes, it pleases me. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

We should probably create a new thread for this topic, but I use BD rebuilder. I use a movie only rip and set it for 'no encode' for a 1:1 full quality rip. It keeps it in the same bdmv folder structure, and all the stream files are merged into a single lossless m2ts file. The movie size is about 20GB for a 90 minute feature.

someone start the thread and invite me id be happy to help

Very nice build, your added to the list with 15TB

lol, what didnt like my box ans stack of HDDs?

Nice, clean and packing a very nice punch for that size. Yes, it pleases me. :D

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed viewing it! :)

@Jimstah87 awesome build, but I have to ask, why windows 8 for the OS? It just seems like a bit of an odd choice

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

@Jimstah87 awesome build, but I have to ask, why windows 8 for the OS? It just seems like a bit of an odd choice

I was waiting for someone to bring this up, honestly mate I don't have any experience with OS's other than Windows. I did initially install WHS 2011 though it wasn't compatible with the RAID card :/ bit of a bummer. Everything works perfect for me with 8 atm, nothing too fancy working here just file sharing and backups mainly atm so for now it is working ok.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up, honestly mate I don't have any experience with OS's other than Windows. I did initially install WHS 2011 though it wasn't compatible with the RAID card :/ bit of a bummer. Everything works perfect for me with 8 atm, nothing too fancy working here just file sharing and backups mainly atm so for now it is working ok.

No problems with that :P my first server ran win 7... you should install some flavor of linux in a virtual machine on your desktop or laptop and play with it, it's actually quite fun to learn an entirely new OS, plus Linux is good for servers (cuz everything for it is free :D) 

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

dedecated servers only :(

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3