AMD Radeon R9 390X cooler leaked [OC3D]

Plasma

Are AMD cards really that horrible that they need a liquid cooler to run below 90 degrees? Ohh wait, it still will run at 90 degrees because AMD sucks and they just overclock and rebrand 3 year old chips whenever they get competition.

Examples?

Not true, if they get their act together and make an efficient architecture I'd be quiet happy with them.

I can assure you that you'd complain about how long it would take. Nobody sane would be happy about an Nvidia monopoly for two years.

I can assure you that you'd complain about how long it would take. Nobody sane would be happy about an Nvidia monopoly for two years.

I'd be mad they couldn't get it done earlier but they need to stay in the game and power efficiency is the next step to increase performance.

I have a reputation? Enlighten me as you've been around that long to see it for yourself. I gave you a valid reply, you can't give an answer in return. GG.

You come off as an egomaniac 

You're one of the most toxic people on the forum that I've seen, along with xxx420blazeitxxx

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I'd be mad they couldn't get it done earlier but they need to stay in the game and power efficiency is the next step to increase performance.

They probably are working on it, since it would be a huge boon for APUs. Really, that's only logical. They don't have the resources to do it as fast as Nvidia, though. Remember that Fermi was just as bad in that area, if not worse.

I'd also estimate that, because they expected 20nm to be ready by now, they didn't see this issue coming. Based on Tonga, they want to fix it but they can't beat Nvidia at their own game. I also doubt that the AIO is actually needed for this, but since Maxwell really caught everyone off-guard they need an edge. I mean, look at it this way. People aren't hyping GK204 for its efficiency; they're hyping it for its price. If AMD had decided to skip making Hawaii and Tonga in favor of putting all of their resources into a new architecture, do you think the 970 and 980 would be this cheap?

You come off as an egomaniac 

You're one of the most toxic people on the forum that I've seen, along with xxx420blazeitxxx

No... xD

They probably are working on it, since it would be a huge boon for APUs. Really, that's only logical. They don't have the resources to do it as fast as Nvidia, though. Remember that Fermi was just as bad in that area, if not worse.

I'd also estimate that, because they expected 20nm to be ready by now, they didn't see this issue coming. Based on Tonga, they want to fix it but they can't beat Nvidia at their own game. I also doubt that the AIO is actually needed for this, but since Maxwell really caught everyone off-guard they need an edge. I mean, look at it this way. People aren't hyping GK204 for its efficiency; they're hyping it for its price. If AMD had decided to skip making Hawaii and Tonga in favor of putting all of their resources into a new architecture, do you think the 970 and 980 would be this cheap?

Oh Fermi was terrible. People may not be hyping GM204 for its efficiency but it has great potential because of it. You can OC the hell out of those cores, first of all. And there's still GM210, the full fledged card that hasn't come out yet. People may not be toting it for power efficiency but it has really good potential for speed. AMD needs that. They need to make the design in a way that it uses less power because then in turn they can make the card cheaper by not throwing a more expensive cooling solution on top of it. So far what we've seen from AMD is the past many years their cards getting hotter and hotter under air. I really wouldn't doubt their next flagship to be water cooled even with the Tonga core because of this trend.

Examples?

It's either the 280 or 270x that's an HD 7970 rebrand. AMD is notorious for reskinning old cards and putting them into the new ranking system. The 280x will be the 370x without a doubt.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No... xD

it's just like my... opinion man

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

It's either the 280 or 270x that's an HD 7970 rebrand. AMD is notorious for reskinning old cards and putting them into the new ranking system. The 280x will be the 370x without a doubt.

You don't even know which cards are the rebrands... ok. And it wasn't 3 years old at the time. Also, Nvidia isn't any better. Hell, they arguably started the trend. And you mean that the 285 will be rebranded as the 370, but you probably don't know that the 285 exists either.

A likely scenario for 300 series IMO:

-Upcoming 390(x) launch

-290(x) becomes 380(x)

-285(x)becomes 370(x) (replacement for Tahiti->7950=r9 280, 7970=r9 280(x))

-Launch new 360(x) soon after (replacement for Pitcairn->7850=r7 265, 7870=r9 270(x))

-260(x) becomes 350(x)

They retire all GCN 1.0 and in turn this line can support ASync, true audio, and XDMA crossfire from top to bottom. All they need is a Pitcairn replacement and the new flagship.

This is just a guess of course, but it makes sense.

I highly doubt there will be any GCN 1.0 re-branded in the 300 series.

Can't wait to see this happen... Let the GPU price wars begin!

Looks quite HOT though but not a big deal

I don't think we will see a rebadge happen here like we did with the HD 7000 series. AMD has far better revisions of GCN under their belt to just rebadge the R7 and R9 series into new cards (again).

Radeon-285-tessellation-1024.jpg

Radeon-285-color-compression-1024.jpg

You're mixed up and no, the Tahiti GPU's (7950/7970, 280/280X) have officially been discontinued. We won't see them again in anything new. 

The 285 "Tonga" is a brand new GPU architecture/chip that replaces both the 280/280X and performs between the two, albeit a little closer to the 280. 

I suspect they will use cut down Tonga's to replace the 270/270X and either call it the 275 or 370/X (something like that).

As for the high-end (290/290X) replacements, I have no idea what they have in store. My best guess is they will try to refine their Hawaii GPUs for better efficiency and more performance. But, all we can really do is wait and see. 

Another thing to note is; we've only just seen the first implementation of their new Tonga and it will take them time to refine and tweak that platform for better efficiency and performance. However, I doubt they will be able to hit the efficiency levels with Tonga as Nvidia has with Maxwell. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

You don't even know which cards are the rebrands... ok. And it wasn't 3 years old at the time. Also, Nvidia isn't any better. Hell, they arguably started the trend. And you mean that the 285 will be rebranded as the 370, but you probably don't know that the 285 exists either.

Nvidia only re-branded the 700 series cards because they saw AMD do it with the 200 series so they decided it wasn't worth their money investing in a whole new line of chips.

^^ What about 8800GT -> 9800GT or 9800gtx+ -> GTS250? Both companies have done it long before GTX 7xx and RX 2xx....

Nvidia only re-branded the 700 series cards because they saw AMD do it with the 200 series so they decided it wasn't worth their money investing in a whole new line of chips.

... wat

Forgive me for not keeping track of AMD's ridiculous scheme, but no, Nvidia doesn't reskin cards. Every generation since 05 has been a full move to a new architecture or a process shrink/full refresh of the previous.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Forgive me for not keeping track of AMD's ridiculous scheme, but no, Nvidia doesn't reskin cards. Every generation since 05 has been a full move to a new architecture or a process shrink/full refresh of the previous.

You're on a tech forum. The fact that you don't keep track reveals your bias. And Nvidia rebrands all the time. The only difference is that they arbitrarily lock out SLI and certain features when they do. What separates a rebrand from a refresh, really?

You're on a tech forum. The fact that you don't keep track reveals your bias. And Nvidia rebrands all the time. The only difference is that they arbitrarily lock out SLI and certain features when they do. What separates a rebrand from a refresh, really?

New core counts/clock speeds. Is Ivy Bridge a rebrand of Sandy Bridge? No, and therefore neither was the fermi refresh.

I'm not biased against AMD, but they shouldn't be pulling this BS in the first place.