windows 9 recent leaks, all the details so far

AlexGoesHigh

There were 3 major things that I care about with the Windows 9/threshold update is that they fix the scaling elements, allow you to choose between the Metro UI and the Start Menu (the metro is much easier to use than the start menu on my convertible with a touch screen.) Both of those it seems they have fixed from what people have said/links in this thread. Now the last thing is that I should be $20 or less to upgrade from any version of windows wether XP/Vista/7/8/8.1. Ideally it would be free but with Microsoft you never know we can only hope.

this isn't the first time they do it, 7 was essentially vista fixed, and a lot of people liked it regardless of not being a patch to vista, also we don't even know when the OS is going to launch, for all we could know this is just testing UI and not final at all, or just a bunch of placeholder to test most important stuff

And I liked Vista to with the right hardware it was a huge step over XP. The Developer preview will be out by the end of the year and this isnt the first time this has been shown off. now its just in a bunch more detail.

XP was release in August 2001, and Windows 2000 was released in February 2000.

-snip-

On stage Microsoft showed a Start Menu and metro in window, but that was unclear if it was mocked up or a genuine build (as it looked more advance than the leaked build.. then again, like I said, we know nothing about the leaked build, it could be quite old), but regardless, they said "later update", and never specified Windows 8.2, or Update 2. WE ASSUMED that was the case.

Windows 8 had a bad reputation. Like Vista. I am sure Microsoft marketing came and said: you have to drop Windows 8. Even if you release a Windows 8 update that is better than slice bread, and makes cry of awesomeness, people will avoid it. And I agree with that view (assuming true), as even now, people are like "Yay Windows 9 has a start button! Look a desktop!", despite Windows 8 having both since day 1. People didn't even look at a pictures of 8.1. So, Microsoft, probably said: "Ok flll breaks on Windows 8 development, and will take all the work we have done so far to Windows 8, and MOVE IT to Windows 9".

All it meaning for you, is that Windows 9 will have MORE features, Windows 9 features and improvements + Windows 8 future development features.

-snip-

Thanks for the correction on XP for some reason my brain said 2002 but it says lots of things and forgets other, so who knows.

Yes a later update. Windows 9 isnt considered a update that would be at a minimum a upgrade. they did confirm it wasnt coming in update 1 and did comfirm a update 2 and later after the bad press of update 1 being mandatory said update 2 wouldnt be.

Yep thats basically what I said going to 9 for marketing reasons. I dont think theyll skip update 2 though which still has a high likelihood of including at least the start menu. If they do skip it I wouldnt be surprised to see like a free or next to free upgrade from 8.1 to 9.

Scaling is fixed. The problem will developers move their ass, and make their software high DPI aware?

With Apple, devs seams to have 0 problem supporting new technology, and consumers seams to have no problem paying for these features in getting the latest version.

Windows users, is a bit of a different story.

However, in developer defense, it maybe because they are depended on a framework they used (either internal or external) for the GUI that isn't high DPI aware. And they have to wait for support.

however, the simple fact that Windows own programs, and Microsoft has documentation on making a high-DPI aware application, shows that it is possible.

I did try it, and it does work.

maybe its time to rewrite these application in 64bit as well as a bunch of other things. I swear some are still riding the exact same thing since at least vista PowerDVD anyone?

The Tek brought up a scary, but very likely point in that Windows Settings might replace the Control Panel...

im fine with that as long as it decently laied out to navigate. Also this reminds me I really want to have a talk with the guy who though it was a good idea to layout control panel in rows instead of columns.

Still look like sh*t to me. Still no Aero. Ugly flat color scheme. massive PC setting window for absolutely no good reason. (that's what happens when you take a useless app that goes fullscreen and put it windowed)

All they did is put some half-assed start menu while still shoving the "modern" UI down our throat on the side of the menu and make the awful modern apps that nobody in their right mind will ever use, windowed.

Just... No... I will still be using Windows 7 for the next couple years it seems right to when I'm forced to upgrade... by which I'm hoping Linux gaming is more of a thing so I can NOT give my money to microsoft ever again.

umm good aero was th bane of Win7. Anytime you did anything with your GPU it had to be disabled, especially with SLI/Crossfire. you seem to just be a Negative Nancy. Why not just remove the right section or if yo ucant do that remove everything from it. Being able to "window" the modern interface is much appreciated.

Heard Microsoft is going to implement new means of activation. From what I recall, users are able to easily active/deactivate a PC of their choice via their website. This is great, no longer are the product keys tied into a hardware and no longer are we gonna call Microsoft for activation (phone-activation) but it's tied into your Microsoft account. Can anyone confirm the validity of this? 

Assuming the Metro UI is optional as seen in the video and there's support for multiple desktops, that will totally sell me to Windows 9. Although, a little bit of polishing and a new set of icons is both refreshing and pleasing to the eyes.

#Windows9

yea I would really appreciate that activation the only thing i dont like is that it would have its own website tied to its own account they should just tie it to your .net account like your devices and computers are done now.

Im so happy they brought the desktop back. looks like they are doing something right. 

What?? The desktop never left. It's basically identical to the windows 7 desktop...

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

umm good aero was th bane of Win7. Anytime you did anything with your GPU it had to be disabled, especially with SLI/Crossfire.

Anytime? I've never had to disable Aero be it for gaming or GPU accelerated video encoding. Nor have I heard of anyone else having to disable Aero as well.

While I admit it was somewhat demanding on the system, it still objectively looked much better than the flat color scheme of Windows 8/9. Even Windows XP had a gradient on the color, Win8/9 is just flat. Then there's the fact on where if you put the color of the UI to Black, text was completely gone because they couldn't be arsed to give us a slider for text color as well as UI color, which resulted in black text on black background. I very much doubt they fixed this in Win9.

I may be nitpicking here, but I will still hate on the awful UI obviously optimized for tablets. (No aero = better battery life/performances on low powered devices, even if they made it optional, people would enable it and then complain about poor battery life)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Anytime? I've never had to disable Aero be it for gaming or GPU accelerated video encoding. Nor have I heard of anyone else having to disable Aero as well.

While I admit it was somewhat demanding on the system, it still objectively looked much better than the flat color scheme of Windows 8/9. Even Windows XP had a gradient on the color, Win8/9 is just flat. Then there's the fact on where if you put the color of the UI to Black, text was completely gone because they couldn't be arsed to give us a slider for text color as well as UI color, which resulted in black text on black background. I very much doubt they fixed this in Win9.

I may be nitpicking here, but I will still hate on the awful UI obviously optimized for tablets. (No aero = better battery life/performances on low powered devices, even if they made it optional, people would enable it and then complain about poor battery life)

Yes really most programs have a setting for it or prompt you. Sometimes even windows will prompt you. I ran windows 7 as my main rig for at least 6 months (begrudgingly) and would run into almost everytime I alt+tab-ed out of a game. Most media programs PowerDVD /TotalMedia theater as well as madVR have setting to just disable it when they start up so you dont have to deal with prompts. It hasnt been as bad since Win7sp1 but on my HTPC I just leave aero off which kinda sucks since the win7 basic theme is complete shit.

Im not saying that I like the current theme of Win8 im just glad aero is gone due to the fact that it caused me more inconveniences than anything. I also said I wouldnt mind transparency as long is it didnt come with the same issues but it shouldlnt since the desktop is now GPU rendered which was the whole problem before. Also the taskbar is transparent so it something that can likely easily be enabled with minimal effort.

I never tried making it black as I just leave it on auto but you should be able to edit the theme just like in the past specifying the font, size, etc for each element. That does make me think I would really like a dark theme. I have ~6 explorer windows open all the time and their crazy bright.

Thing is not really its already being rendered with the GPU which could actually be more efficient rendering the same thing. Technically the theme in 8 is called aero and there is a basic one that actually looks really good. A easy way for mor saving could be like a power saver option that reverts to that and disables other animations and stuff. You argument there kinda reminds me of the G700/G700s vs G602 power savings thoughts.

What?? The desktop never left. It's basically identical to the windows 7 desktop...

I think he is happy that annoying metro is not there and start button is back :) unlike windows 8/8.1

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

• 2 weeks later...

*Ignores everything searches for start button*

Here it is, back when it made sense:

20130113064858!Windows_95_Start_menu.png

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

You know what else looks terribad? Windows 7 in development:

-snip-

And Vista in development:

Still looks worse than Win 10. I don't like the metro design at all, it's too colourful and chunky. The win 7 is sleep and it works with any background/style but if you force a style onto your OS then that's just shitty.