Sound card for gaming

yodelingduck

I just purchased the beyerdynamic mmx300 headphones and I am looking for a sound card that will get the most out of these for gaming audio.  I spend most of my pc time gaming, playing fps or rts games, and the rest of the time listening to music or watching movies.  I need a new sound card either way as my on board audio just does not work.  My budget is $200.

Corsair Graphite 780T | Intel 6700k @ 4.7GHz | Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz | Asus Strix 980 Ti| Mushkin                                                                                      Enhanced Chronos 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 3TB 

You don't really need a sound card for gaming, but if you're dead set on getting something, get the Schiit (pronounced "shit") Vali which costs $119. This is an amp not a card you don't NEED a card.

Computer Science student proficient in OSX, Linux and Windows

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

I need a sound card regardless of the purpose, my on board audio does not work.

Corsair Graphite 780T | Intel 6700k @ 4.7GHz | Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz | Asus Strix 980 Ti| Mushkin                                                                                      Enhanced Chronos 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 3TB 

Is your motherboard under warranty? If so, RMA it.

Computer Science student proficient in OSX, Linux and Windows

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

I highly suggest a Gravis Ultrasound, or if you don't like spending money, a Sound Blaster AWE32.

Dat MIDI broh.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

And just to be helpful instead of wothlessly spewing what Linus said at some point. Look into the Syba Dac, cheap and does what you want. In the mean time, could you explain tyhe troubleshooting steps you've gone throw already?

this place hates on soundcards but for gaming you can watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxO9cd-sYA#t=815

to each of their own??

think that is the saying

It's not that we hate sound cards in this sub, it's just there are a lot of other better alternatives for cheaper. It's like those power balance rubber bracelet in the market a few years ago. Claimed that it make the wearer to have more balance, flexibility, endurance, and whatnot. Later on, when they're debunked beyond any excuses, they finally came out with the fact that the bracelet was nothing but rubber, and all the claims were hoax to the max. Now when you already now that a certain something is not worth the money spent on it, and there are other stuffs that get the job done with cheaper price and better quality, it's kinda hard to still recommend that thing to somebody who genuinely needs help. 

If it MUST be a sound card, then just go with the cheap ones, like the xonar DG. Cheap, gets the job done, good quality. 

this place hates on soundcards but for gaming you can watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxO9cd-sYA#t=815

to each of their own??

think that is the saying

There someone goes again with the hyperbole. No one here has ever said, implied, or insinuated that they hate soundcards.

There someone goes again with the hyperbole. No one here that knows what they are talking about* has ever said, implied, or insinuated that they hate soundcards.

I hate soundcards, so everyone here does.

Fuck them.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

There someone goes again with the hyperbole. No one here has ever said, implied, or insinuated that they hate soundcards.

There you go again taking things out of context. "Hating on soundcards" is not the same as "hating soundcards" - the former of which we definitely do a fair amount of around here.

There you go again taking things out of context. "Hating on soundcards" is not the same as "hating soundcards" - the former of which we definitely do a fair amount of around here.

Just keep telling yourself that.

Well the xonar st, stx, both have a pretty good Dac(same one), and the amp is just decent u can upgrade it your just get a good desk one later.

Like i say the Dac is actually what make it a good deal it can match some external that double the price with no amp, with that said, if u have a lot going in side your computer even if the shielding is no bad, u can get some noise at full volume, that with the fact that the drivers sux ass and asus don't give a DM (just use uni xonar drivers) is one of the better choice for less of 200dlls.

I use it as a dac with bottlehead crack + speedball amp for my HD650 and it is really DAM good, the dac is noticeable better than my modi. 

I don't think hate result in good things ....

Don't get the xonar dg, get the xonar dgx. It's the same card but PCIe instead of PCI (more future proof)

I see that the audio helpers are still being classy

Your first mistake was thinking that I'm trying to be a "helper".

get the xonar DG not the DGX, the PCIe version has a bunch of audio sync issues so I hear. My PCIe creative card had a lot of issues with this.

Also don't listen to the idiots here who say "sound cards aren't worth it" because sound cards have a very good price to sound quality ratio when compared to external AMPs/DACs

"Peek-a-boo, you ****s, you!"

get the xonar DG not the DGX, the PCIe version has a bunch of audio sync issues so I hear. My PCIe creative card had a lot of issues with this.

Also don't listen to the idiots here who say "sound cards aren't worth it" because sound cards have a very good price to sound quality ratio when compared to external AMPs/DACs

That is actually one of the reasons why people prefer external DAC/amp. USB class 1.0 = plug and play vs interface issues, sync issues, driver issues,  compatibility issues, electric interference issues, etc.

Too bad, OP insists on a sound card....

Sound cards aren't bad, just lots of potential works.

That is actually one of the reasons why people prefer external DAC/amp. USB class 1.0 = plug and play vs interface issues, sync issues, driver issues,  compatibility issues, electric interference issues, etc.

Too bad, OP insists on a sound card....

Sound cards aren't bad, just lots of potential works.

So many issues with USB its not even funny not to mention the possible over head of the USB protocol while gaming.

"Peek-a-boo, you ****s, you!"

So many issues with USB its not even funny not to mention the possible over head of the USB protocol while gaming.

Yes, because gaming audio is so much more "intense".

Seriously, do you even know what the fuck are you're talking about?