Consumers Won't Pay Xbox One Second Account Installation Fee, Shops Will

MeltyMoon

The used game market could take quite a hit, they will most likely start charging more for used games if this is true.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Xbox-Used-Games-Fee,news-17065.html#xtor=RSS-998

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

I do kind of like this though, Developers get a cut and consumers still get cheaper games

I do kind of like this though, Developers get a cut and consumers still get cheaper games

I don't think you get it.

since the shops have to pay the activation fee and they get a small margin of the money rather than all of it we may be looking at much more expensive used games than before.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I don't think you get it.

since the shops have to pay the activation fee and they get a small margin of the money rather than all of it we may be looking at much more expensive used games than before.

I get it, and used games are still going to be competitively priced. Used games are completely priced on supply and demand, which is why even the older cod games are still significantly more than say Fallout 3 GOY edition. the used games are still going to be priced the same way because nothing loses money for game retailers faster than games sitting around collecting dust. Shops will try to raise prices at first, but consumers won't pay those prices and they'll have to reduce prices to move product. Meanwhile, developers get more income. 

all they need to do now is sort out the backwards compatibility issue then i will get 1 on launch

Character artist in the Games industry.

all they need to do now is sort out the backwards compatibility issue then i will get 1 on launch

they aren't going to, it would be cheaper for you to buy a 360 with your One than for them to release a backwards compatible console. The architectures are too different, they'd have to include all of the hardware of a 360 in side the one and even then the implementation would be clunky at best. 

they aren't going to, it would be cheaper for you to buy a 360 with your One than for them to release a backwards compatible console. The architectures are too different, they'd have to include all of the hardware of a 360 in side the one and even then the implementation would be clunky at best. 

they wont need to do that, have you ever taken and old game on a new desktop? its the same thing, + the OS for the 360 is in the XB1 so it wont be to hard for them to setup 360 games to run of that OS. they wont need to change the optical drive cause bluray reads both Bluray, DVD and CD so thats not an issue. all they need to do is sit down and create an emulator for the CPU/APU or whatever they are using for it to run the games on.

all i can say is, they are going to lose sales cause of the issue, they might aswell push there $73.7bn company with there 97k employees to spend a few hours getting it to work, its not imposible, its cause they are lazy and only care about there wallets

The used game market could take quite a hit, they will most likely start charging more for used games if this is true.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Xbox-Used-Games-Fee,news-17065.html#xtor=RSS-998

No such thing, consumers will pay regardless. NO retail company (or online) is going to swallow that cost, it will be passed to the consumer. THAT is just Microsoft PR spin

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

they wont need to do that, have you ever taken and old game on a new desktop? its the same thing, + the OS for the 360 is in the XB1 so it wont be to hard for them to setup 360 games to run of that OS. they wont need to change the optical drive cause bluray reads both Bluray, DVD and CD so thats not an issue. all they need to do is sit down and create an emulator for the CPU/APU or whatever they are using for it to run the games on.

all i can say is, they are going to lose sales cause of the issue, they might aswell push there $73.7bn company with there 97k employees to spend a few hours getting it to work, its not imposible, its cause they are lazy and only care about there wallets

old PC games are still coded for the x86 architecture, which is entirely different than the powerPC architectural that as used in the 360. emulating a powerPC architecture on x86 is nearly impossible, that's why in the 8 years since the 360 was released we never got a 3rd party emulator for it like we have for other consoles, some of which are much newer than the original 360. Saying it would take a few hours is incredibly ignorant of the challanges. Backwards compatibility in the console market is dead and has been for a very long time, and you know what? People don't really care. Everyone makes a big deal about it when the consoles are first announced and then within a month of their release no one talks about it anymore. 

That's not how it works. Not even Sony can do PS3 games on the PS4 and they have to rely on cloud computing just so you can play old PS1/2 games.

Old PC games were developed on x86 architecture, which is what we still use today, which is why it's easy for PC gamers to play old games. Hell, even the modding community that creates emulators still can't do PS2 and the original Xbox games.

It's not going to work. PC gamers will see a Xbox One or PS4 emulator before we see a Xbox 360 and PS3 emulator because of the architecture.

That's not how it works. Not even Sony can do PS3 games on the PS4 and they have to rely on cloud computing just so you can play old PS1/2 games.

Old PC games were developed on x86 architecture, which is what we still use today, which is why it's easy for PC gamers to play old games. Hell, even the modding community that creates emulators still can't do PS2 and the original Xbox games.

It's not going to work. PC gamers will see a Xbox One or PS4 emulator before we see a Xbox 360 and PS3 emulator because of the architecture.

even so they should of taken that in to account when they made it, i wont mind if they made a more RAM model of the 360 to launch along side the XB1, and tbh a better thing for them to of done would be been to take the 360 add more RAM and a video card then called it the XBox 720

Makes sense, but how will they regulate sites like eBay or what if someone gifts a used game/trades it with someone? will that require them to pay the fee using Microsoft points, will the game simply be unplayable or will the fee be ignored for them?

But yeah, the customers will pay the price eventually and that won't help Microsoft when they compare prices of the same game on different consoles and realise the Xbox one's prices are higher.

It seems like Sony is going to be taking advantage of this since they were planning on implementing something similar but stopped themselves after seeing the backlash on Microsoft, that might make their second hand games cheaper and that might help promote the console.

even so they should of taken that in to account when they made it, i wont mind if they made a more RAM model of the 360 to launch along side the XB1, and tbh a better thing for them to of done would be been to take the 360 add more RAM and a video card then called it the XBox 720

that wouldn't have been nearly as powerful, one of the main reasons both console makers are moving away from powerPC is the platform just isn't keeping up with x86. simply throwing more RAM and a video card at the problem wouldn't solve anything, especially since most video cards dont have powerPC drivers and to my knowledge powerPC doesn't yet support DDR3 or higher

That is beyond redundant. It would not be worthwhile for them to do that as you're still stuck with an old CPU and an old architecture. The Xbox 360 is going to be dead in 5 years tops, so there wouldn't be a point in doing that.

Sure Microsoft could have done an emulation type of system for the Xbox One, but that would takes months to do and to test with every Xbox 360 game out there, it was obviously not worth the hassle to them.

That is beyond redundant. It would not be worthwhile for them to do that as you're still stuck with an old CPU and an old architecture. The Xbox 360 is going to be dead in 5 years tops, so there wouldn't be a point in doing that.

Sure Microsoft could have done an emulation type of system for the Xbox One, but that would takes months to do and to test with every Xbox 360 game out there, it was obviously not worth the hassle to them.

atleast it will be able to sell and more ppl will be happy with it, all i want is to be able to play bf3 on the xbox and my copy of halo 4 without needing to have 2 consoles with the same badges

atleast it will be able to sell and more ppl will be happy with it, all i want is to be able to play bf3 on the xbox and my copy of halo 4 without needing to have 2 consoles with the same badges

Well you might as well not buy the new Xbox or have to deal with two consoles. BF3 isn't getting a port and I doubt Halo 4 would either.

It sucks I know, but it's a money thing. I could care less about backwards compatibility and used games, I have other issues with the Xbox that keep me from buying it.

Sorry, but Microsoft will most likely not even consider doing such a thing.

*cough* PC... As you said yourself, take an old PC game and run it on a new PC. It almost always works. So yeah, I don't think you should be complaining about something you don't know anything about. You go and grab a PS2 emulator (PCSX2) and it can struggle to play PS2 games due to the emulation process. That's an entirely different architecture and it's 13 years old (approx.). I don't know about PowerPC > x86, but I can tell you that the EmotionEngine > x86 is complicated as hell. And I'm fairly sure that it's simple compared to PowerPC.

I generally feel bad for gamestop even though I'm not a huge fan of theirs, and I feel terrible for the true homegrown local game shop that was at one time was the heartbeat of the gaming industry.

Game shops should be those places you go to not only purchase these games but expand your gaming community by meeting local people that are generally interested in the same things you are. 

As for used games, does not change anything for me. I've been solely playing pc games since my original Xbox died. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

old PC games are still coded for the x86 architecture, which is entirely different than the powerPC architectural that as used in the 360. emulating a powerPC architecture on x86 is nearly impossible, that's why in the 8 years since the 360 was released we never got a 3rd party emulator for it like we have for other consoles, some of which are much newer than the original 360. Saying it would take a few hours is incredibly ignorant of the challanges. Backwards compatibility in the console market is dead and has been for a very long time, and you know what? People don't really care. Everyone makes a big deal about it when the consoles are first announced and then within a month of their release no one talks about it anymore.

It's planned obsolence. My 2G iPod Touch can run iOS 6, but Apple stopped developing for it so I would buy the newest one instead.

Main Rig:  FX-8320 || EVGA 650 Ti BOOST || AsRock 970 Extreme3 || Corsair 800D || 8 Gb Crucial Ballistix || Antec HCG 520M || Noctua NH-D14
LAN Party Rig: FX-4100 || EVGA 550 Ti || ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS || Cooler Master 430 Elite || 4 Gb Corsair Vengeance || Antec HCG 400 || Cooler Master Gemin 2 
Staples EasyTech Associate since September, 2013

It's planned obsolence. My 2G iPod Touch can run iOS 6, but Apple stopped developing for it so I would buy the newest one instead.

No it's really not, the phone market is different. one of them produces a new version of a product yearly, the other once ever 8 years to a decade. It has nothing to do with planned obsolescence at the time the powerPC architecture was good for their purposes and was cheaper than the x86 alternatives, now-a-days that's not true. If they wanted the old consoles to be obsolete, they would make the news ones backwards compatible.

Also your iPod touch 2G could run iOS6 but it would not be a pleasant experience, the hardware in that really isn't strong enough for iOS6. 

*cough* PC... As you said yourself, take an old PC game and run it on a new PC. It almost always works. So yeah, I don't think you should be complaining about something you don't know anything about. You go and grab a PS2 emulator (PCSX2) and it can struggle to play PS2 games due to the emulation process. That's an entirely different architecture and it's 13 years old (approx.). I don't know about PowerPC > x86, but I can tell you that the EmotionEngine > x86 is complicated as hell. And I'm fairly sure that it's simple compared to PowerPC.

pcsx2 can emulate nearly all games flawlessly and at full speed on any decent mid range pc @ 1080p.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

Middle finger to Gamestop? I'm sure a lot of the enlightened gaming community appreciates this. I wonder how GS will respond.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

pcsx2 can emulate nearly all games flawlessly and at full speed on any decent mid range pc @ 1080p.

Note the word 'most'. I didn't say that PCSX2 can't play any games properly. I said that it can struggle to play some games, even on todays hardware.

Note the word 'most'. I didn't say that PCSX2 can't play any games properly. I said that it can struggle to play some games, even on todays hardware.

it doesn't struggle to play any games.

it either

plays them at full speed but with graphical glitches (which could be fixed but sometimes isn't due to lack of demand)

plays them at full speed without graphical glitches

plays them at full speed but does not allow to finish game.

does not play at all.

and the reason that not all games play perfectly is that these emulators are created by,relatively,small groups of people.

they fix what has large demand to be fixed,or issues that are common in multiple games.

a large company like sony or microsoft 

A.already has emulators typically

B.could within a month create an emulator that is compatible with a large majority of games

Linus Sebastian said: