Network layout showoff

Ssoele
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, and my parents tell me i have too much networking gear... :D
network.PNG
All gigabit except the RPI2 and Archive 01. The two wireless router acts onlyas wireless AP's and the AP connected to Archive is in Client mode.

/EDIT

The Wirless router 2 connected to the switch through a Zyxel powerline adapter. And here is where all the "magic smoke" doing its business :D :

20151006_095359.jpg

Edited by jagdtigger

Here is mine.

post-181573-0-18857300-1440658397_thumb.

post-181573-0-18857300-1440658397_thumb.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

No Ethernet cables in the home. It beats wifi and it all runs fine.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

Here's mine:

homenetwork.jpg

Nothing special obviously. I configured my second router (sitecom 300n) to act purely as an access point for my main router and switch, so I have 1 seamless wireless network. The lines are all standard cat5e ethernet cables. Any comments/tips?

Im not sure if this works, can i get any answers?

163xo2.jpg

That probably wouldn't work because usually your ISP only allows one device to connect to each modem, so you have to have a router running NAT connected to the modem (this can be a true router, without wireless, or the consumer mind that also does wireless). The exception to this is if you are buying multiple static IPs from your ISP, or if they are the rare company to not put a limit on the number of devices that can get a public IP by DHCP from them.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

• 3 weeks later...

They are 2 separate networks, with different DHCP servers and different IP-ranges, connecting them would cause clients from 1.x to get IP's in the range of 2.x and vice-versa.

VTP pls

i7 4820K, 16GB Corsair Dom. Plat. and 8GB of Corsair Vengance(yes this works), Asus X79 Sabertooth, Corsair H100, 2x Asus DCUII R9 290, 2x WD RED 1TB in RAID 1, WD Caviar Black, Crucial M500 128GB Boot drive, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in a RAID 0 enclosure for backup and scratch disks/SSD cache in a Corsair 780T.

post-14088-0-56280100-1444235337_thumb.p

The windows server 2012 R2 hosts my media server, web server and associated db's for my personal projects.

I live alone in an apartment so the need and possibility of creating a larger setup is redistricted and it's relevance limited.

I plan on replacing the linksys e-3000 with a dedicated firewall/router (pfsense or edge router from ubiquiti) the model has yet to be detriment.

VTP pls

I believe the term you are looking for is vlan. VTP is a cisco protocol meant to propagate all your switches with vlan information. so you just need to modify your vtp server switch with the new vlan information and it will distribute to the rest of the switches in the same vtp domain.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Dang would love a nice setup but my mum won't even let me rename my Isp provided router//modem/ :(

wifi,

Edit Here is a diagram 07Rcdzt.png

-snip-

Props for using Mikrotik and Ubiquiti. Also some pics of this setup would be awesome.

I've found them in really good prices slightly used along with a few RouterBoards so I got them. I really like Ubiquiti stuff (more than Mikrotik :P ) but they have no 10 GbE equipment (if you exclude the 2 (only) 10 GbE SFP+ Uplinks for two of their switches). What I'm planning next is to get a 10 GbE SFP+ Switch but they're terribly expensive. It's a shame we don't see Mikrotik and UBNT make this kind of stuff. Currently another CloudCore Router (8S+) is cheaper than most 8-port 10 GbE Switches.. 

BTW all 10 GbE links are made using SFP+ and Single Mode Fiber (I believe even if the distance is extremely small (a few meters), spending a little bit more money on decent equipment is worth it). 

Mikrotik > UBNT imo, but it's harder to set up, but then on the other hand you can just do so much more :)

Again, can you post some pics? :)

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

I've found them in really good prices slightly used along with a few RouterBoards so I got them. I really like Ubiquiti stuff (more than Mikrotik :P ) but they have no 10 GbE equipment (if you exclude the 2 (only) 10 GbE SFP+ Uplinks for two of their switches). What I'm planning next is to get a 10 GbE SFP+ Switch but they're terribly expensive. It's a shame we don't see Mikrotik and UBNT make this kind of stuff. Currently another CloudCore Router (8S+) is cheaper than most 8-port 10 GbE Switches..

BTW all 10 GbE links are made using SFP+ and Single Mode Fiber (I believe even if the distance is extremely small (a few meters), spending a little bit more money on decent equipment is worth it).

I also would love to see pics.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Network Layout

Spent the weekend re-configuring my routers after removing an older one. Decided to take my time with it and note down the Make/Model/MAC addresses of everything and assign IP addresses manually, writing everything down in a spreadsheet as I went along. Finally have my home network documented even though it's not much. One thing I learned was that Chromecast and iHome Smart Plugs both use AzureWave wireless controllers. Thankfully the Chromecast app has the MAC address listed in the device settings which made sorting them out easy.

Just a bit overkill...

post-158901-0-29156100-1446082507.png

Primary: Xeon E3-1231v3, 32GB HyperX, GTX 960

Mobile: Lenovo Thinkpad X61 running Apricity Linux

Here is the physical layout of my home network.

post-233678-0-79519400-1446228851_thumb.

The NASter machine is a scrapyard build running Ubuntu Server, functioning as a router/NAS/managed switch combo. The P5BV-C mobo have all its PCI slots populated with NICs, a 6TB spinning platters storage and a 60GB SSD cache.

The Battlebird machine is my E3-1231v3 based workstation.

The Battleship machine is my dual E5-2620v2 based ex-server now used as a computational power reserve (that is, fired up only when needed.) I am still having no idea how should I fully utilize its 128GB of ECC DDR3-1600 RAM as I no longer run VMs on it.

The Bluebird is my daily driver laptop computer, an Ivy Bridge MacBook Pro.

The Ladybird machine is my mom's laptop, a Sandy Bridge MacBook Pro.

The Fruit Pie: Core i7-9700K ~ 2x Team Force Vulkan 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Gigabyte Z390 UD ~ XFX RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ WD Black 2TB ~ macOS Monterey amd64

The Warship: Core i7-10700K ~ 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming Wi-Fi ~ PNY RTX 3060 12GB LHR ~ Samsung PM981 1.92TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
The ThreadStripper: 2x Xeon E5-2696v2 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16 ~ Sapphire RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Ubuntu Linux 20.04 amd64

The Question Mark? Core i9-11900K ~ 2x Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4-3000 @ DDR4-2933 ~ MSI Z590-A Pro ~ Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB ~ Samsung PM981A 960GB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Home server: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P9D-M ~ nVidia Tesla K20X 6GB ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Gigabyte 480GB SATA SSD ~ 8x Mixed HDD 2TB ~ 16x Mixed HDD 3TB ~ Proxmox VE amd64

Laptop 1: Dell Latitude 3500 ~ Core i7-8565U ~ NVS 130 ~ 2x Samsung 16GB DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung 960 Pro 512GB ~ Samsung 850 Evo 1TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Laptop 2: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB ~ macOS Catalina amd64

Metro-E? Must be serious business needing all that bandwidth.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I'm a student getting ready to up sticks to University, but I do what I can :D.

I am running on a BT Infinity line, on a pretty weak BT Home Hub 5. Most of the network is ran from my bedroom, so my switch -a HP 2610 Gigabit 48 Port generously donated by my school- connects to the HH5 by a powerline adapter, who's speed I have forgotten. Connected to the switch is my PC, my Xbox (hardly used now I have finally joined the PCMR) and my Server. My Server is a HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 with the G1610T Processor. It runs FreeNAS 9.3, and has 2 zdevs (One System Volume "SysVol" for the plugins, and one for storage "STORAGE" (RAID 0 Equiv.)) SysVol hosts no shares, whilst STORAGE has 2 datasets, with 1 share a piece, one for general storage, the other for file history images. Everything else is dealt with by the inbuilt WiFi on the HH5, which isn't awfully bad, just not jawdropping either...

post-253180-0-96585100-1446321384.png

Would I improve if I had the chance? Hell yes, there's so much more I want to do, including using a pfSense firewall and router solution, as well as using a more robust AP. But I need to be realistic; I'm moving to Student digs in 8 months, so a permanent solution really isn't worth setting up, and I'm not the wealthiest guy in the world (but I did manage to bag a part time job at my school as a Junior Network Tech ;) ). Another issue is the BT HomeHub is an abosulte A*se to work with. We would change it, but there's better things to spend money on... This set up has helped me learn networking fundamentals, and has helped me explore production environments, an area I will be studying at university.

Commas are great, they really are!

Some of my parts on PC Part Picker are wrong! There's a supprising ammount of value components and cases they don't include.

My humble network:

attachicon.gifnetwork.png

Not showing the wireless stuff, wich is a mess of families phones, chromecasts, tablets and other gimmiks

Why a RADIUS Server? Just curious.

Why a RADIUS Server? Just curious.

Not the person you quoted, but I can list a few reasons someone might want an radius server:

• Fancy 802.1x Enterprise Wireless Encryption and credentials
  • Network domain login across all your PCs
  • VPN, subnet, web server access with varying security realms and permissions 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I Posted about 2 months ago and I have completely rebuilt my network. I learned a lot about networking, and now feel like a genius. Here is a diagram of what I'm running now: post-158156-0-14408200-1446673622_thumb.

Hope you enjoy my network, just as much as i had making it.

Thanks, 

Peter

Edit: Forgot to add my wireless printer, oh well.

my humble little network, hoping to get fiber soon and set up some remote servers, also, wireless upgrade is needed (probably UAP-AC-PRO's)

Until not too long ago the TP-Link WDR4300 was the main router, but it was terrible due to a custom firmware for my country,

so now it's only a "dumb AP" and it's running a custom version of openWRT 12.09AA. it's still shit. My house is big and I have enough 802.11ac clients to justify a proper solution.

network_map_public_zps8ulign19.png