Surround: IPS or TN

beteng1
Go to solution Solved by ForsakenLive,

The viewing angles are worth it, go IPS for surround.

Get triple Dell U2414H if you can afford it, it's one of the best monitors out there for gamers.

Not only color preproduction and very thing bezels, it has one of the lowest input lag on monitors.

The PSU is enough for SLI no problems there.

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking whether I should do a surround setup.  I’m curious which one would be ‘better’, in your own opinion, whether to use IPS or TN panels in surround.  I found that most people would recommend the Dell U2414H because of its thin bezel and great colour.  Originally I thought of doing 3 Benq XL240T (never had a 120hz Monitor) hooked up to an Ergotech 3 monitor stand.  Now I’m in conflict between the U2414h and XL240T and my budget for each monitor is $400 including tax (13% HST Canada).  I have an Asus DCU II 780 and plan on getting another 780 SLI at the end of the year. 

So my initial questions are:

1.       Would you select an IPS or TN panel for surround?

2.       Which monitor would you use? (Vesa mount compatible)

3.       Why did you choose that monitor? (Bias, preference, experience etc.)

I’ll be using this setup for my regular use (movies, surfing the web) and school work (coding, research, word doc). Do you think it will be worth it for me to get a surround setup or should I just get a single widescreen monitor?

A question about PSU, if I’m to get another 780, would my AX860 watt power supply be enough or do I need to upgrade my PSU as well?  I did a PSU calculator and I was getting either almost the limit or over the limit.  I then checked other forums and people said it should be just fine. So I don’t know whether I should upgrade or not.  What could possibly happen if I go over the limit? Hopefully it would not cause any fire.

I have only been doing a few hours of research about this so any other suggestions or inputs would be great.

Thanks,

Vince

I would prefer IPS over TN but that's because I prefer excellent color over a 1 ms response time.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

1. IPS. The viewing angles of TN make it not worth it.

2. The Acer H236HLbid

3. Thin bezels, size, etc.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Get the IPS.

TN is for competitive gaming where you as the player is running the game at the low graphics to give you as many fps you can get, if thats not what you do, go IPS, also you dont really do surround for normal stuff, you just have more monitors :P i have 5

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

2. The Acer H236HLbid

This monitor is exactly what you need.

Git Gud.

The viewing angles are worth it, go IPS for surround.

Get triple Dell U2414H if you can afford it, it's one of the best monitors out there for gamers.

Not only color preproduction and very thing bezels, it has one of the lowest input lag on monitors.

The PSU is enough for SLI no problems there.

2. The Acer H236HLbid

He's wanting VESA mount compatible monitors. 

Something like the Dell UltraSharp U2414H is nice. 

EDIT: Same thing to @sqwidee

Do you plan on playing a lot of FPS games? If so go 120/144hz. If you play more singleplayer, moba type games where motion blur wont affect much IPS.  Me personally would never touch a 60hz monitor again. http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

Even with a crazy setup, not many games will allow him to take advantage of 120Hz in surround. Older games, sure, but newer games, he'll have to lower the settings a fair bit. 

He's wanting VESA compatible monitors. 

Something like the Dell UltraSharp U2414H is nice. 

Shit, hadn't noticed they didn't have VESA mounts.

What the f*** Acer and AOC? You make two nice thin-bezel monitors and put your own shitty stands on them? (The AOC i2367F(h))

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Thanks for fast response!

I'll go for an IPS monitor then! :)

Even with a crazy setup, not many games will allow him to take advantage of 120Hz in surround. Older games, sure, but newer games, he'll have to lower the settings a fair bit. 

omg no don't lower  the settings. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. <_<

Shit, hadn't noticed they didn't have VESA mounts.

What the f*** Acer and AOC? You make two nice thin-bezel monitors and put your own shitty stands on them? (The AOC i2367F(h))

Yep, it's pretty much the only complaint I have about them. I'm considering selling mine and buying 4 Dell UltraSharp U2414H monitors instead. I'd like to have them all on one stand and easy to move. 

Oh man.. I do not have a local store that i can buy it from. I'd have to buy it online and have it shipped :(

omg no don't lower  the settings. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. <_<

If i have to use only one monitor to play on max settings.. so be it :P