Help me pick a pair of headphones

Ryuk

Except that not everyone likes Sennheiser's sound signature.

Or likes pointless overpaying for gayman headsets. 

Sennheiser PC 350 SE, because it is the way it is - people have to face it, they are the best for their price and totaly outcompete others with a higher pricetag.

You couldn't be more wrong. Pc350 is overpriced and beaten out by a lot of things cheaper than it.

I was working a lot these past days, but today is my buy day. Currently debating between pro700mk2(yes still, I love the look), m50x, dt770. Again, I am looking for nice bass, good comfort (want to be able to have them on for at least 2 hours), removable cables. Right now, the m50x are the main candidates but I don't like the way they look. Would like something that looks a little better. If anyone has any more input here or maybe can let me know some other headphones that could fit me, please, let me know. Anything is very much appreciated.

I was working a lot these past days, but today is my buy day. Currently debating between pro700mk2(yes still, I love the look), m50x, dt770. Again, I am looking for nice bass, good comfort (want to be able to have them on for at least 2 hours), removable cables. Right now, the m50x are the main candidates but I don't like the way they look. Would like something that looks a little better. If anyone has any more input here or maybe can let me know some other headphones that could fit me, please, let me know. Anything is very much appreciated.

want looks? save yourself some hassle in this forum and go beats by dr.Dre...

if you really care bout your 'bass', then go DT770. im pretty much serious.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

want looks? save yourself some hassle in this forum and go beats by dr.Dre...

if you really care bout your 'bass', then go DT770. im pretty much serious.

I don't like the look of the beats and are ridiculously overpriced. Looks are not the main thing to consider since I will be using them at home only. I do like how the pro700mk2 look. I personally haven't tried them but the reviews say they are very uncomfortable. I can put the m50 pads on them and it should solve this (not sure, if anyone did this, please let me know and what pads I should buy).

The dt770 do sound nice and look ok but no detachable cable, no folding - don't know about that.

So now, couple of hours before the buy, m50x or pro700mk2. Comfort and sound wise, what are your opinions? I've watched countless videos and read dozens of reviews but I still cannot decide. I've also considered some AKG headphones but I still think ath headphones fit me better.

So far - m50x for comfort and sound (can drive the bass up to pro700mk2) but I love the look and feel of the pro700mk2.

I don't like the look of the beats and are ridiculously overpriced. Looks are not the main thing to consider since I will be using them at home only. I do like how the pro700mk2 look. I personally haven't tried them but the reviews say they are very uncomfortable. I can put the m50 pads on them and it should solve this (not sure, if anyone did this, please let me know and what pads I should buy).

The dt770 do sound nice and look ok but no detachable cable, no folding - don't know about that.

So now, couple of hours before the buy, m50x or pro700mk2. Comfort and sound wise, what are your opinions? I've watched countless videos and read dozens of reviews but I still cannot decide. I've also considered some AKG headphones but I still think ath headphones fit me better.

So far - m50x for comfort and sound (can drive the bass up to pro700mk2) but I love the look and feel of the pro700mk2.

hello

this is my review of my M50 non X ( they sound the same though) they're not bad actually, but rather overrated. i never really tried the DT770 but already the DT880, same driver but more open and more analytical sounding. let me tell you they have immaculate imaging, and AWESOME soundstage.

but if you're really *sorry* ignorant ... then go for the ATH M50. i actually use them when i travel.

note i'm not a fanboy or anything. just look at my signature.

hello

this is my review of my M50 non X ( they sound the same though) they're not bad actually, but rather overrated. i never really tried the DT770 but already the DT880, same driver but more open and more analytical sounding. let me tell you they have immaculate imaging, and AWESOME soundstage.

but if you're really *sorry* ignorant ... then go for the ATH M50. i actually use them when i travel.

note i'm not a fanboy or anything. just look at my signature.

I don't see what I am ignorant about. I said why I don't like the DT770 (sound wise I have nothing against them).

I have spent a lot of time researching with an open mind considering absolutely everything.

I read your review a while ago. If you do not recommend them, what do you recommend then? I am new to the audiophile world.

Shure 840

ATH M50/M50x

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

the shures 840 I would buy if i was you.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

the shures 840 I would buy if i was you.

LPT, you can get the same sound out of a 440 with the 840 pads, or do what my friend did and bum my 1540's spare set.

I don't see what I am ignorant about. I said why I don't like the DT770 (sound wise I have nothing against them).

I have spent a lot of time researching with an open mind considering absolutely everything.

I read your review a while ago. If you do not recommend them, what do you recommend then? I am new to the audiophile world.

if you want good looks and bass, detachable cable, then i say save your money and go for the Philips Fidelio X1. its a one of a lifetime headphone ( yes there's no other headphone like it till now). from my experience, it has better bass than the DT880/DT770, not my cup of tea, but its really amazing. also don't go DT990, its a headphone designed for people who want to destroy their ears.

other than that, i don't know what to recommend next.

Look at the HD595 or 598. Same drivers different style. I went for the 598's and I can vouch for their quality at reproducing jazz, classical, rock, and death metal. They do lack marginally at lively playback of dubstep or house music, the bass is controlled and that isn't really what that genre demands. Flac, and vinyl both sound great through these cans. Perhaps most importantly, they are extremely light and extremely comfortable. It feels like wearing a practically nothing. Great for extended listening.

Butts. Booty butts.

LPT, you can get the same sound out of a 440 with the 840 pads, or do what my friend did and bum my 1540's spare set.

that would be nuts, but is actually not totally unreal since drivers and design is pretty much the same. but still..

I have had the chance to listen to the 1840 cuz my dad owns them - a real pleasure to listen to, but I do prefer closed designs. would be more than happy to try the 1540 when a occasion comes by.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

that would be nuts, but is actually not totally unreal since drivers and design is pretty much the same. but still..

I have had the chance to listen to the 1840 cuz my dad owns them - a real pleasure to listen to, but I do prefer closed designs. would be more than happy to try the 1540 when a occasion comes by.

Its only marginally better then the 440 and very heavy, pads are nice.

Thanks guys, I hear good things about shure headphones, I just don't like how they look that much. As I said, looks are not that important but I don't want them to be ugly, won't even want to put them on :)

I ordered the pro700mk2, should arrive on Tuesday, will review them when I get them :) If I won't like them, the Fidelio X1 look REALLY nice. A big higher price but it's ok. Not sure about open headphones, never owned one or even listened.

Thanks everyone for the input, I've considered everyone's opinion/suggestion.

In the meantime, before I get my ath pro700, can anyone suggest some nice, comfortable and thick earpads for them? I am pretty sure the headphones will hurt my head even though my head is not that large (I do have thick hair though, and it's on the longer side :D).

Thanks guys, I hear good things about shure headphones, I just don't like how they look that much. As I said, looks are not that important but I don't want them to be ugly, won't even want to put them on :)

I ordered the pro700mk2, should arrive on Tuesday, will review them when I get them :) If I won't like them, the Fidelio X1 look REALLY nice. A big higher price but it's ok. Not sure about open headphones, never owned one or even listened.

Thanks everyone for the input, I've considered everyone's opinion/suggestion.

In the meantime, before I get my ath pro700, can anyone suggest some nice, comfortable and thick earpads for them? I am pretty sure the headphones will hurt my head even though my head is not that large (I do have thick hair though, and it's on the longer side :D).

I think you missed the part where I said that Pro700's are the worst headphones I've even used....Including everything Razer and Monster. 

I think you missed the part where I said that Pro700's are the worst headphones I've even used....Including everything Razer and Monster. 

I thought you were talking about comfort, sound-wise - I haven't found a bad review. Can you tell me more about what's wrong with them while I can still cancel the order? The thing I didn't like about them is the thin pads and the popping-out driver that might touch the ears, but reviews say different pads solves this(or modding the stock ones a bit).

It's ok though, if I won't like it, I'm getting the m50x or the Fidelio X1(if I decide to go ahead and try open cups).

I recommend the Sony MDR-XB800 headphones.

I use them and I would say they have the sound signature you asked for. I've found they have powerful but not overpowered/overpowering bass, bright highs (not to bright; the overall sound signature is comfortably warm in my opinion), a warm ever-so-slightly-suppressed mid range, and clarity throughout.

Paired with a good Sound Card (integrated or discreet) or external DAC and Amp (combined or not) they will almost certainly bring your music alive with details you never even heard traces of before. (Almost certainly; I don't know what you've already got.)

They're rated to 3,000 milliwatts IEC. That's not RMS so keep them a bit bellow that.

There's just one downside; they've been discontinued. So if your going to grab a pair you'd best do so before they're gone, because once they're gone, they're GONE.

I find them to be pretty comfortable most of the time. However when I start gaming they start to get mildly uncomfortable. No idea why, they just do that for me.

Oh yeah! Almost forgot. The cord is a bit short, about 1.2 meters I think, not very long. Keep that in mind if you choose these.

Here's a link to them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB800-Extra-Driver-Headphone/dp/B009A7BP3U/

Resurrect the Mercury!!!!

I thought you were talking about comfort, sound-wise - I haven't found a bad review. Can you tell me more about what's wrong with them while I can still cancel the order? The thing I didn't like about them is the thin pads and the popping-out driver that might touch the ears, but reviews say different pads solves this(or modding the stock ones a bit).

It's ok though, if I won't like it, I'm getting the m50x or the Fidelio X1(if I decide to go ahead and try open cups).

Normally you can get away witrh saying just the bass is muddy, but this bass muddied all the way up into the low treble, the treble was overbearing and almost painful to listen too. The pads are not padded and the headphones clamp to much, they are too heavy and create hotspots. I have these shit little coby clip ons that cost $5 that i would rather have because they didnt hurt to wear or lIsten too. But the build was great, which is the ONLY redeeming factor. 10/10 would take Razer Tiamat (or whatever it is) or the Pro700. Review i helped write here, http://www.headphonehub.blogspot.com/search/label/Audio%20Technica%20ATH-PRO700mk2%27s.

Normally you can get away witrh saying just the bass is muddy, but this bass muddied all the way up into the low treble, the treble was overbearing and almost painful to listen too. The pads are not padded and the headphones clamp to much, they are too heavy and create hotspots. I have these shit little coby clip ons that cost $5 that i would rather have because they didnt hurt to wear or lIsten too. But the build was great, which is the ONLY redeeming factor. 10/10 would take Razer Tiamat (or whatever it is) or the Pro700. Review i helped write here, http://www.headphonehub.blogspot.com/search/label/Audio%20Technica%20ATH-PRO700mk2%27s.

Where's the sexi shots of rerty modeling headphones in the nud. Also, the link doesn't go anywhere useful.

I recommend the Sony MDR-XB800 headphones.

I use them and I would say they have the sound signature you asked for. I've found they have powerful but not overpowered/overpowering bass, bright highs (not to bright; the overall sound signature is comfortably warm in my opinion), a warm ever-so-slightly-suppressed mid range, and clarity throughout.

Paired with a good Sound Card (integrated or discreet) or external DAC and Amp (combined or not) they will almost certainly bring your music alive with details you never even heard traces of before. (Almost certainly; I don't know what you've already got.)

They're rated to 3,000 milliwatts IEC. That's not RMS so keep them a bit bellow that.

There's just one downside; they've been discontinued. So if your going to grab a pair you'd best do so before they're gone, because once they're gone, they're GONE.

I find them to be pretty comfortable most of the time. However when I start gaming they start to get mildly uncomfortable. No idea why, they just do that for me.

Oh yeah! Almost forgot. The cord is a bit short, about 1.2 meters I think, not very long. Keep that in mind if you choose these.

Here's a link to them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB800-Extra-Driver-Headphone/dp/B009A7BP3U/

Short cable is ok with me, I intend buying headphones for at home listening(I have the Sennheiser CX300II for when I'm on the go).

I've considered these headphones but ditched the idea of buying these because the cable is not removable and all my headphone cables die very fast (I am a heavy user, not very careful with my electronics either). But because of the very low price, I might consider them again, especially if I don't like the pro700s that will be shipped on Tuesday. Thanks for the suggestion :)

I've owned a pair of Razer Electra long ago, the sound wasn't that great. Probably never going with razer again, I just thought the Adaro was a step up.

The muddy bass and overbearing treble - have you played around with the eq? Some reviews say it helped. I play around with the eq all the time when switching between music genres and movies. I have 5 saved settings, easy to switch (using hotkeys).

I would go with the M50x but I just prefer the look of the pro700 more. And again, if I won't like them I will return them and get something else :)

Where's the sexi shots of rerty modeling headphones in the nud. Also, the link doesn't go anywhere useful.

Yeah bad link, here's the right one: http://headphonehub.blogspot.com/2013/05/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-review.html

Again, if someone modded/got new pads for pro700, let me know :)

Because I dont spend much time nude in my friends kitchen, or any kitchen for that matter. Too many sharp or hot bits. 

snip

M40x is identical to the M50(x) for less, therfore a better option. And the M40x is a headphone to stand behind, very few negatives to mention.

M40x is identical to the M50(x) for less, therfore a better option. And the M40x is a headphone to stand behind, very few negatives to mention.

I've seen this claim before. The M40x come with 40mm drivers while the M50x come with 45mm drivers. My knowledge is poor, so correct me if I am wrong, bigger drivers - better bass. I don't mind paying a little more for a little better sound, especially considering my budget is $300.

And you didn't touch on the bass and treble - have you tried eq-ing?

Ryuk, get back to us when you're done reviewing the pro700. That should be interesting.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Ryuk, get back to us when you're done reviewing the pro700. That should be interesting.

Definitely will :)

I've seen this claim before. The M40x come with 40mm drivers while the M50x come with 45mm drivers. My knowledge is poor, so correct me if I am wrong, bigger drivers - better bass. I don't mind paying a little more for a little better sound, especially considering my budget is $300.

And you didn't touch on the bass and treble - have you tried eq-ing?

Driver size is about as meaningless as frequency response numbers on the side of the box. When I say identical, I mean most people would fail a blind test trying to tell the difference, its noty woth the extra 80 or so. Not that the Pro700's M40/50(x) are that good at gaming since they are all closed anyway.