Desk Build: Monolith - Big Green Powerful Machine!

Another update!

Just reminding you that you can see ALL of the photos I take in this Imgur Album:http: //imgur.com/a/xKauZ#0

Theres 250ish up there ATM.

This update should have the most of the painting & construction done. The major PC hardware has just been ordered & believe me, its Orgasmick, so stay tuned! (Just think, what else is awesome & green!?)

Cutting out the PSU mount from some scrap metal that I once found on the Jobsite & thought it would come in handy.

vDmSQWI.jpg

Rem9CKT.jpg

Cutting the desk to fit. Happened to have borrowed the bosses Multitool that day which was handy.Used it & a dremel to clean up.

8esbTw8.jpg

A touch or primer then some black to clean it up

Zxzq6El.jpg

Mounting the hinges for the glass door on the front. Most complicated nstructions for hinges iv ever encountered.

NGygLaG.jpg

5GtY7k5.jpg

Lock & Load! Weapons hot! Primer everywhere...

sD8WfDz.jpg

5OnybI4.jpg

Tabletop cut, routered & primed with a rebate for the glass to sit in.

dMzwMeD.jpg

SYArsUd.jpg

BkoiAY6.jpg

Masked the drawerfaces to be Sprayed black and then a green chamfer added.

qjWKS3i.jpg

PuKQPPa.jpg

8fsdjvP.jpg

Painted the underside of the Top black and gave the Desk Carcase its final coat of paint.

kjtwQND.jpg

MDE4MtS.jpg

Told dad id use my leftover green paint to fix the Lawn =S

nVaUFPZ.jpg

xr1YPZP.jpg

Masked up & painted the top Green and then the Crackle coat medium.

2TZ4lT0.jpg

What sort of pricks would use packaging like this? ended up with this multch shit all through my Ute, just for a few long UV Sata cables!

lw6qx8e.jpg

LxvVY7f.jpg

SLEEVING!!! Never done it before & there will be alot of work to do on this build! All custom length cables. Bought this gear From Lutro0 Customs. 200ft of wire should be enough.

dVrW4bV.jpg

Bought 200ft of parracord sleeving from an ebay seller because Lutro diddnt have enough in stock but got 25ft of his to compare as well as some other of his sleeves just to check out. Iv contacted him to do a special order for me since because his is much better. Its a lighter green and more UV reactive.

gQIA3P1.jpg

xCIzVVP.jpg

YcazwGe.jpg

First cable done! 8pin EPS I used the ebay parracord because I expected to screw it up. Didn't do too bad tho, will re-sleeve it eventually in the better sleeving.

VI0ize2.jpg

Cutting cable management hole in the Desktop. Also note the white border there, I masked it that way when i painted the green because i wanted a solid black border around the glass.

9pswfJt.jpg

VeUfl7f.jpg

Also cut a hole in the back for monitor cables.

l6WWfUK.jpg

So yea, should be another update by the end of the week if all goes well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

You are using a different motherboard, right? I mean, that one inside the desk is crap and needs an upgrade.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

You are using a different motherboard, right? I mean, that one inside the desk is crap and needs an upgrade.

lol yes Thats an old dead pc, was using as a mounting template for stand-offs & such

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w

realy good work so far looks awseome cant wait to see the finished thing

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

lol yes Thats an old dead pc, was using as a mounting template for stand-offs & such

OK, now i understand. Also, when do you expect to finish the build? I am waiting to see the final product. Thanks. :D

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Great work, You must be patient lol

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

This looks amazing i love the uv green just soo sexy

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

OK, now i understand. Also, when do you expect to finish the build? I am waiting to see the final product. Thanks. :D

The desk itself hopefully within a fortnight, but a completed build not for a while. Hardware is inbound but will all be air cooled untill iv got enough spare cash to do the waterloop.

Great work, You must be patient lol

Yea its been hard, I rage at things fairly regularly Lol

Looks GREAT!

This looks amazing i love the uv green just soo sexy

Thanks Guys :)

Aussie FTW!

Heres another update, mostle on the finish of the desktop.

Remember all my photos can be found in this Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/xKauZ#0

Ok so i used a spray gun to spray the black paint over the crackle coat.

This is what it looked like 5min after spraying

6Huh7CI.jpg

& 15min later

g5hVvFr.jpg

& here is is dry later that night.

dDOwsFH.jpg

This is all the drawer faces layed out so i could wipe a Waterbased Polyurothene on them. This'll give them a bit more durability, also wiped the poly over the external parts of the carcase where they were most likely to be damaged

DTwFLia.jpg

Painted all the metal bits. Etch primer, primer surfaces, black, clear.

xilxpNa.jpg

Attached the desk back panel. A large Checker plate panel will go in there with the radiators mounted to it. Ill leave it off untill I do the watercooling setup because theres some cutting that'll need to be done for the Rads.

fxMVFin.jpg

These are the special hinges I found on eBay. They have easy to remove pins so the desktop can be removed from the desk. Because of the weight of the entire project it was necesary to make it as dismantleable as possible.

MACFTpT.jpg

Put the drawers back in, attached the slide out space and hinged the front glass door.

FJrjFtg.jpg

hswIMAr.jpg

Setup to do the glasscoat in the back loungeroom. The family was kindly instructed: DONT %*#@$@ TOUCH IT! and the cats locked out of that half of the house

V9yQ1CQ.jpg

The tools needed to do the Glasscoat: mixing bowl/cups, mixing stick, spreader, towls to clean any spills, burner to de-gass bubbles & enough Glass Finish for the job.

2jgvjX5.jpg

Shiney & Wet :) Peel masking tape around 5-6hrs, touch dry in 12hrs, dont put objects on it for 3days, fully cured in 7 days.

55UHEz5.jpg

Also done this to an iPhone 4 case for funzies, turned out really well.

XZTbUHS.jpg

Finished top a week later with the glass in it.

The only thing that diddnt finish perfectly is there are a few small dimples around the surface from bubbles that kept reappearing in the glasscoat. I kept popping them with the burner but it got to a stage where the glasscoat was too thick to reform into the space where the bubble was appearing.

6SmiBu8.jpg

& Now you are now 100% up to date with current progress. =) Hardware & the last bits i need to get the Desk in my room should arrive this week!

Aussie FTW!

That is some beautiful work on the desk top. I can see you have the skills to make this an incredible build. Waiting for more!

This is completely out of topic, but do you have a drivers license? If so, another question. Do you drive that Mazda 323 in the background? It looks sick.

Sorry for not being on topic, but i couldn't resist that awesome mazda in the bkgnd.

-terrytek

wicked sick.

Anything built with screws is meant to be disassembled.

im so impressed by your skills man... you must be a tradie day to day?

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

That is some beautiful work on the desk top. I can see you have the skills to make this an incredible build. Waiting for more!

OMG Its the Metallica build guy!!! Thanks man means alot, absolutely love your work on the metallica build!

This is completely out of topic, but do you have a drivers license? If so, another question. Do you drive that Mazda 323 in the background? It looks sick.

Sorry for not being on topic, but i couldn't resist that awesome mazda in the bkgnd.

-terrytek

Haha very random.

Yes i have a licence but thats not my car, its my mates who decided to crash and write it off while un-insured (front right bent chassie rail) So its parked im my yard while we pull all the moddified stuff out of it that we spent so much time putting in as he tries to sell it off for parts. (you may notice the bumper & other broken bits on the far left)

im so impressed by your skills man... you must be a tradie day to day?

Hit the nail right on the head mate! 3rd year apprentice Builder.

Aussie FTW!

2013 is the year of redefined Computer desks

very nice i love seeing people do desk builds :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

This is awesomeness at a level rearely seen on this earth.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Hit the nail right on the head mate! 3rd year apprentice Builder.

Must an aussie thing to be able to spot tradies from their work man

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

This is awesomeness at a level rearely seen on this earth.

very nice i love seeing people do desk builds :D

2013 is the year of redefined Computer desks

Wow, this is beautiful!  I wish I could build something so nice!

Thanks Guys :D

Aussie FTW!