Things to do on a new PC

I have a small list of optimizations and little tricks to do after installing windows (and the drivers of course), I thought about sharing with you guys, and asking for more things to add to it. Many of it I got from an video from teksyndicate and the rest from elsewhere. If anyone don't know what one of this things do just ask, no problema

CREATE RESTORE POINT

Ninite

http://www.ninite.com

CCleaner

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Defraggler

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

REGEDIT

→ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE→SYSTEM→CurrentControlSet→Control→FileSystem

NtfsDisableLastAccesUpdate (1)

info: Determines whether windows updates the last-access timestamp on each directory when it lists the directories on an NTFS volume, so specially if you are using a hard drive your computer isn't scratching the disk at all times.

→ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE→SYSTEM→CurrentControlSet→Control

WaitToKillServiceTimeout (?miliseconds)

info: The time that windows waits to forceclose programs, normally when you shutdown your pc, normally it can take a while. 

→ HKEY_CURRENT_USER → Control Panel→Desktop→MenuShowDelay (50?miliseconds)

info: when you hover an option in the start menu, the time it takes to show the next menu

SERVICES

Windows Search → Properties → Start up Type → Disabled

info: If you never/very rarelly use windows search you can disable it so windows don't keep indexing everything.

(SSD only!)Superfetch → Disabled

info: SuperFetch has two goals: it decreases boot time, and makes sure applications that you use the most load more efficiently, but uses much ram and ssds are already fast enough. 

MSCONFIG

Boot→Advanced→ Number of Processors (MAX)

Startup

System

Advanced System Settings → Advanced → Performance Settings (Animations...)

System Protection → System Protection → Advanced (System Volume Information)

Power Settings

Optional

Always Bypass Win8 Password

cmd.exe → "control userpasswords2" -> uncheck "Users has to enter a user name and password to use this computer"

Deactivate Win8 Lock Screen

gpedit.msc → Computer Configuration  Administrative Templates  Control Panel  Personalization → Don’t show lock screen → Enable

Space Optimization

CMD.exe → powercfg -h off (Turn off hybernate mode/delete hyberfile.sys)

info: disable hybernate mode for people who don't use it.

FAST Youtube

CMD.exe → netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="YoutubeHTTP1" protocol=TCP localport=80 action=block dir=IN remoteip=173.194.55.0/24

→ netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="YoutubeHTTP2" protocol=TCP localport=80 action=block dir=IN remoteip=206.111.0.0/16

info: Because companies like Time Warner Cable throttle your youtube connection, if you want to learn more about that here is a reddit link: http://goo.gl/joLYW

added 20/jun/2013:

Create Shutdown/Restart Button in Windows 8

in desktop or any folder right click → new → shortcut

in the location type "shutdown /s /t 0" or "restart /r /t 0"

change the icon right click on the new shortcut → properties → customize → change icon

ps.: To add to taskbar just click it and "pin to taskbar" and to add to Metro Start(New UI) just "pin to start"

ps2.: in the command "shutdown /s /t 0" shutdown is the name you give, you can write whatever, and 0 is the time in seconds to shutdown you can write a timer that way

added 22/may/2013:

Move My Documents and other folders from SSD to HDD

C:/Users/user(your username)/

right click on the folders you want to change the location, normally 'my documents', 'downloads', 'my music', 'my video' select properties, go to the location tab, and select move. Find your destination folder, if you don't have one yet feel free to create a new one.

info: This is with the intention to free space on your SSD and move the not so much used or not heavy files to the HDD, if you have a big SSD or a big array of SSDs in raid there is no need to do that

Logan Things to do an a new PC, I will add some of this later  to the list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMGX6UnCASE

Edited by danieldsklein

cool, i will try some of this.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Nice!

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Maybe add an short expanation as to what those programs do. Otherwise nice

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

Because companies like Time Warner Cable throttle your youtube connection, using their own "youtube servers" and other around the globe have agreements to use their servers (in my country Net Virtua at least does), I have a 20Mbps connection and I wasn't able to watch youtube videos in 720p or 1080p, many times even 480p was slow. That command line is to block their server IPs so you can go to the real youtube servers, if you want to learn more about that here is a reddit link: http://goo.gl/joLYW

Man I love Ninite so so much, it just makes installing the first few applications so much easier  :D

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

It's worth mentioning that you should keep the original Ninite installer you used, it can be used to update everything in one fell swoop (Many people seem to miss this feature).

For those that want to see the video mentioned

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

I have a small list of optimizations and little tricks to do after installing windows (and the drivers of course), I thought about sharing with you guys, and asking for more things to add to it. Many of it I got from an video from teksyndicate and the rest from elsewhere. If anyone don't know what one of this things do just ask, no problema

CREATE RESTORE POINT

Ninite

http://www.ninite.com

CCleaner

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Defraggler

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

REGEDIT

→ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE→SYSTEM→CurrentControlSet→Control→FileSystem

NtfsDisableLastAccesUpdate (1)

→ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE→SYSTEM→CurrentControlSet→Control

WaitToKillServiceTimeout (?miliseconds)

→ HKEY_CURRENT_USER → Control Panel→Desktop→MenuShowDelay (50?miliseconds)

SERVICES

Windows Search → Properties → Start up Type → Disabled

SSD only! Superfetch → Disabled

MSCONFIG

Startup

System

Advanced System Settings → Advanced → Performance Settings (Animations...)

System Protection → System Protection → Advanced (System Volume Information)

Power Settings

Optional

Deactivate Win8 Lock Screen

gpedit.msc Computer Configuration Administrative Templates Control Panel Personalization → Don’t show lock screen → Enable

Space Optimization

CMD.exe → powercfg -h off (Turn off hybernate mode/delete hyberfile.sys)

FAST Youtube

CMD.exe → netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="YoutubeHTTP1" protocol=TCP localport=80 action=block dir=IN remoteip=173.194.55.0/24

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="YoutubeHTTP2" protocol=TCP localport=80 action=block dir=IN remoteip=206.111.0.0/16

Nice guide, but Windows automatically disables SuperFetch when it detects an SSD.

It's worth mentioning that you should keep the original Ninite installer you used, it can be used to update everything in one fell swoop (Many people seem to miss this feature).

Also some apps will not be available on new installers if the company requests it, flash player, piriform apps, etc. However, installers downloaded before they were removed will still work for both fresh installs and updating.

Don't forget Chrome!

More fast and safe than Internet Explorer

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Don't forget Chrome!

More fast and safe than Internet Explorer

It's included in ninite ;-) (if you are not like me and use chrome beta and canary)

Because companies like Time Warner Cable throttle your youtube connection, using their own "youtube servers" and other around the globe have agreements to use their servers (in my country Net Virtua at least does), I have a 20Mbps connection and I wasn't able to watch youtube videos in 720p or 1080p, many times even 480p was slow. That command line is to block their server IPs so you can go to the real youtube servers, if you want to learn more about that here is a reddit link: http://goo.gl/joLYW

well you learn something everyday! So im safe to assume that this command line is useable by any windows OS? im using windows 8 and im in Australia!

can anyone verify that the command line actually works? 

Thanks!

MSCONFIG

This has been proven to not make any difference. Even microsoft said that it doens't make any difference.

FAST Youtube

CMD.exe netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="YoutubeHTTP1" protocol=TCP localport=80 action=block dir=IN remoteip=173.194.55.0/24

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="YoutubeHTTP2" protocol=TCP localport=80 action=block dir=IN remoteip=206.111.0.0/16

Access Denied....

fml, I was really interested to see if this worked..

Access Denied....

fml, I was really interested to see if this worked..

I forgot to mention that you have to access the cmd as administrator, just click with the right button and select run as administrator

Install Safari and Norton

i5-3570k, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 1155 Z77, Patriot 8GB  (2*4GB), ASUS R9 290, Coolermaster HAF, OCZ 120 GB SSD + WD 1 TB HDD, Corsair CX750M, Samsung 22" + HP 23", CM Hyper 212 EVO, Ducky Shine 3 (Cherry MX Blue), Razer Naga 2014

I forgot to mention that you have to access the cmd as administrator, just click with the right button and select run as administrator

Meh, didn't make a difference.

I have a feeling my dad's got something to do with this.

Install Safari and Norton

Safari, on Windows? Safari is so painful to use on Windows. :(

I think that you should explain what some of those Registry Edits do, it can help people decide if they want to do them or not.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Safari, on Windows? Safari is so painful to use on Windows.  :(

Fixed it. :P

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB