Things to do on a new PC

I think that you should explain what some of those Registry Edits do, it can help people decide if they want to do them or not.

The video explains most of them. ;)

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

Great thread, well worth the read for newcommers.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

I think that you should explain what some of those Registry Edits do, it can help people decide if they want to do them or not.

I edited and tried to explain most of it, if any more doubts show up I will try to make it easier to understand.

Install Safari and Norton

Ninite give you options of many free AVs I use norton myself but if you have a license I can't think you will forget it, and Safari? Really? I have a macbook but I know that Safari sucks, ninite give you the option of the only 3 browsers you should ever use (Chrome, Mozilla and Opera)

Safari is amazing! Gives me time to grab a cup of tea while my pages load!

i5-3570k, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 1155 Z77, Patriot 8GB  (2*4GB), ASUS R9 290, Coolermaster HAF, OCZ 120 GB SSD + WD 1 TB HDD, Corsair CX750M, Samsung 22" + HP 23", CM Hyper 212 EVO, Ducky Shine 3 (Cherry MX Blue), Razer Naga 2014

I used norton back in the day, would not recommend!

There was a time it sucked, I think around 2006-2008 they lost a lot of costumers, but they rewrote their program from scratch, and now is the best AV out there

Ninite makes it so even a complete idiot is safe you rock and roll, I just give them a list of programs they'll need and away they go. As for optimising boot times I'll never build a system without and SSD anymore the speed is just phenomenal 

Forgot to add changing the location of the default Videos, Music, Pictures folder to a general storage drive.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Fixed it. :P

You can download webkit source and install it on windows for the open source version of safari (developers nightly build)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Mozilla

The browser is called firefox.... Mozilla is the company that develops it etc.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Install Safari and Norton

Come on guys. Clearly trolling.

MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) | Core i7 2700K @ 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB @ stock

8GB G.Skill RipjawsZ 2133MHz | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 3x500GB RAID 5 | DVD-RW

Xclio Nighthawk | OCZ ModX Stream Pro 700W | CM Hyper 212 EVO with Corsair SP120s push/pull

The browser is called firefox.... Mozilla is the company that develops it etc.

ops... my fail :P

Forgot to add changing the location of the default Videos, Music, Pictures folder to a general storage drive.

I will put the "tutorial"underneath just in case later today, thanks for the tip

fast youtube is very effective. thanks :D

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

Another good option for updating would be Patchmypc, it auto detects the programs you have running on your PC and updates them for you. 

Main PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FNsFVY

Secondary PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7sv7xY

Former Intel Response Squad Member, May Class.

Member of the LTT Forums since January 3rd, 2013.

1st thing to do when you get a new PC:

go to another PC, download Google Chrome.  Put it on a USB drive.  Install in on new computer.

SMD IE, I'm not even going to use you to install google chrome.

Done it, it is a little bit confuse but I think people can understand it.

Another good option for updating would be Patchmypc, it auto detects the programs you have running on your PC and updates them for you. 

I just downloaded it and tried, I liked it but ninite installer does that, so I'm not sure about keep adding more things to the list

1st thing to do when you get a new PC:

go to another PC, download Google Chrome.  Put it on a USB drive.  Install in on new computer.

SMD IE, I'm not even going to use you to install google chrome.

Google'd a better method.

Open notepad.

Copy this and save it as a chrome.vbs script on your desktop.

' This is the URL of the chrome EXE.strFileURL="https://dl.google.com/tag/s/appguid%3D%7B8A69D345-D564-463C-AFF1-A69D9E530F96%7D%26iid%3D%7BA024641A-81C0-533A-53CB-AE9534821219%7D%26lang%3Den%26browser%3D4%26usagestats3D0%26appname%3DGoogle%2520Chrome%26needsadmin%3Dfalse%26installdataindex%3Ddefaultbrowser/update2/installers/ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe"' This is where the file will download to.strHDLocation = "c:\ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe"' Fetch the fileSet objXMLHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")objXMLHTTP.open "GET", strFileURL, falseobjXMLHTTP.send()If objXMLHTTP.Status = 200 ThenSet objADOStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")objADOStream.OpenobjADOStream.Type = 1 'adTypeBinaryobjADOStream.Write objXMLHTTP.ResponseBodyobjADOStream.Position = 0 'Set the stream position to the startSet objFSO = Createobject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")If objFSO.Fileexists(strHDLocation) Then objFSO.DeleteFilestrHDLocationSet objFSO = NothingobjADOStream.SaveToFile strHDLocationobjADOStream.CloseSet objADOStream = NothingEnd ifSet objXMLHTTP = Nothing

Open Command Prompt (CMD) and type the following

1. cd desktop

2. cscript.exe chrome.vbs

The Chrome Installer should be in C:\.

EDIT: New plan.  Create the vbs file and save it on your USB drive.  It will always download the newest chrome.  Obviously to create it on the new computer, you either have to type out the entire thing, or use IE to get to a website to copy it. -_-

I have a small list of optimizations and little tricks to do after installing windows (and the drivers of course), I thought about sharing with you guys, and asking for more things to add to it. Many of it I got from an video from teksyndicate and the rest from elsewhere. If anyone don't know what one of this things do just ask, no problema

Move My Documents and other folders from SSD to HDD

C:/Users/user(your username)/

right click on the folders you want to change the location, normally 'my documents', 'downloads', 'my music', 'my video' select properties, go to the location tab, and select move. Find your destination folder, if you don't have one yet feel free to create a new one.

info: This is with the intention to free space on your SSD and move the not so much used or not heavy files to the HDD, if you have a big SSD or a big array of SSDs in raid there is no need to do that

^^^ THIS ^^^ Even if you're not running an SSD, moving your important documents to another drive, or even just another partition, will save you much time in the event of a reinstall. Obviously, you should still have a good external, and preferably offsite, backup of your important files, but having it setup like this will let you wipe your Local Disk (C:) / ROOT partitions in the event of an emergency or spring cleaning, leaving your personal User folder intact. After you've reinstalled, you can just re-map/re-link your personal folders.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

FAST Youtube

CMD.exe → netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="YoutubeHTTP1" protocol=TCP localport=80 action=block dir=IN remoteip=173.194.55.0/24

→ netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="YoutubeHTTP2" protocol=TCP localport=80 action=block dir=IN remoteip=206.111.0.0/16

info: Because companies like Time Warner Cable throttle your youtube connection, if you want to learn more about that here is a reddit link: http://goo.gl/joLYW

Could someone tell me how to undo this? After i tried this, youtube videos actually freezes a few seconds into the video but loads the rest quickly.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

Could someone tell me how to undo this? After i tried this, youtube videos actually freezes a few seconds into the video but loads the rest quickly.

CMD.exe → netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="YoutubeHTTP1"

→ netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="YoutubeHTTP2"

• 2 months later...