Asus refreshes B450 Motherboards

GreatnessRD

Summary

Asus decides to refresh their B450 motherboards. Strix, Tuf, and Prime line of boards

Quotes

Going with one of our refreshed B450 boards for the foundation of your build gives you more flexibility in how you allocate resources in your next Ryzen system. You might be able to choose a faster processor, a boosted graphics card, a bigger, future-proof power supply, or quieter, more robust CPU cooling. The latest Ryzen 3000-series processors will be right at home in our buffed-up B450 boards, and you can still install first- and second-generation Ryzen CPUs in these boards if need be.

My thoughts

This looks pretty good, in my opinion. I wonder was this done to help with upcoming 5000 series as well? Should definitely have a solid customer base for these boards, too.

Sources

https://videocardz.com/press-release/asus-refreshes-amd-b450-motherboard-series

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

We’re boosting the bang-for-the-buck of this platform with a refreshed family of ASUS B450 motherboards.

There you go. B550 probably cut into B450 mainboards and the "new and refreshed" variants are needed to fill the entry level spot in the line-up. They're likely cutting manufacturing costs and also the price.

Damn, motherboard is getting refreshes too now?

The latest Ryzen 3000-series processors

Not for long!

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Seems a bit dumb with new chips being released soon and B550 being a thing 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

Seems a bit dumb with new chips being released soon and B550 being a thing 

I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe X570 will be the next chipset for 5000 series CPUs. And they might introduce a X590 with a four extra PCIe4 lanes to accomodate more fast storage. They launched B550 pretty late and I don't think there is any reason for a new chipset with the new generation of CPUs. B450 might stick around for some time as the entry level solution.

1 minute ago, HenrySalayne said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe X570 will be the next chipset for 5000 series CPUs. And they might introduce a X590 with a four extra PCIe4 lanes to accomodate more fast storage. They launched B550 pretty late and I don't think there is any reason for a new chipset with the new generation of CPUs. B450 might stick around for some time as the entry level solution.

Maybe but they were shifty with supporting the B450 boards at all

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

52 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

No I agree it's pretty stupid to do this whole debacle when they just released b550 boards that support the new processors from the get go. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

54 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

No I agree it's pretty stupid to do this whole debacle when they just released b550 boards that support the new processors from the get go. 

And the press release sounds just like the new standard BIOS for B450 will also support Ryzen 3000 from the get go.

6 hours ago, GreatnessRD said:

The latest Ryzen 3000-series processors will be right at home in our buffed-up B450 boards, and you can still install first- and second-generation Ryzen CPUs in these boards if need be.

The real question is how much is these going to cost? Since its supposed to be entry level, I have a hard time believing it will be more than $110 USD. If any higher than that, I don't see why anyone wouldn't go for a B550 board. But I guess its allure would be for those wanting to move up for A320 and still using Zen/Zen+ while getting updated features. 

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

7 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

There you go. B550 probably cut into B450 mainboards and the "new and refreshed" variants are needed to fill the entry level spot in the line-up. They're likely cutting manufacturing costs and also the price.

I see b450 as sort of sitting between b550 and a520, with a520 being not really up to snuff.   Could be theyre seeing a situation where people think a520 is too crappy to buy but they’ll still buy a b450 so the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Probably leftovers,getting rid of old stock.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Could be theyre seeing a situation where people think a520 is too crappy to buy but they’ll still buy a b450 so the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

B550 boards are more expensive than B450,the B450 Tomahawk at $114 is capable of running even a 3950X with good airflow no problem.

Show me a B550 board that is capable of this at that price point.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

19 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Probably leftovers,getting rid of old stock.

B550 boards are more expensive than B450,the B450 Tomahawk at $114 is capable of running even a 3950X with good airflow no problem.

Show me a B550 board that is capable of this at that price point.

Show me an a520 that can do it at all.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Show me an a520 that can do it at all.

A520 is DOA :D

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

A520 is DOA :D

I could see a520 being simply killed off by the popularity of ryzen.  If you could get a $45 mobo that would take a $80 cpu and $50 worth of memory it starts to make sense.  The problem is most of ryzen CPUs are so popular they’re selling at stupid markup.  The 3300x was designed to sell for $120.  I see demands of $200.   Who’s going to put a $200 chip in a $45 motherboard?

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

The 3300x was designed to sell for $120.  I see demands of $200.

you see 3300x cpus? they're out of stock everywhere in the US.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

In certain regions, you see Asus B450 selling at B550 prices.

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

you see 3300x cpus? they're out of stock everywhere in the US.

I only see ads for em.  Really expensive ads. Apparently they exist just not in the US. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I only see ads for em.  Really expensive ads. Apparently they exist just not in the US. 

The 3300X is $140 in my country -_-

Well, B450 is probably still better than an A520.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

42 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The 3300X is $140 in my country -_-

A mere 18% over list (assuming my math is right which I’m not sure of)

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

A mere 18% over list (assuming my math is right which I’m not sure of)

same here roughly 141 euros. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

18 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

I doubt it. The X570 already requires active cooling, and the X590 will not be mainstream unlike the B550 for Ryzen 5000 series. I think this is the end of the line for AM4.

3 hours ago, StDragon said:

I doubt it. The X570 already requires active cooling, and the X590 will not be mainstream unlike the B550 for Ryzen 5000 series. I think this is the end of the line for AM4.

So AMD has repetitively said. They’ve already held am4 much longer than intel normally holds a board.  There is supposition that the next boards will be ddr5 anyway which blows am4 out of the range of bare possibility anyway

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So AMD has repetitively said. They’ve already held am4 much longer than intel normally holds a board.  There is supposition that the next boards will be ddr5 anyway which blows am4 out of the range of bare possibility anyway

Exactly. DDR5 will be that push to AM5. I'm not sure they can squeeze more blood out of AM4 other than another chipset with reduced power requirements. But from a feature standpoint, AM4 is done.

The question is if AM5 will support PCIe 4.0 or 5.0 upon initial launch. Most likely 4.0 if I was a betting man.

6 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Exactly. DDR5 will be that push to AM5. I'm not sure they can squeeze more blood out of AM4 other than another chipset with reduced power requirements. But from a feature standpoint, AM4 is done.

The question is if AM5 will support PCIe 4.0 or 5.0 upon initial launch. Most likely 4.0 if I was a betting man.

My suspicion is both or ddr5 only.  Some motherboards would be ddr5, some would be ddr4.  If it’s just ddr4 there’s not enough reason to do an am5.  Zen4 with ddr4, if there even is a zen4 and not something else, (whether it is called zen4 or not) would have to have really good stuff under the hood to make it worth it, and while AMD is reaping benefits from intel’s inability to make a useful die change for what is over 10 years now, that will likely eventually end. AMD said they would support am4 through zen3.  They did not say they would do more than that, and they’re already having problems with am4 maintainance