Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreatnessRD

Asus refreshes B450 Motherboards

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Summary

Asus decides to refresh their B450 motherboards. Strix, Tuf, and Prime line of boards

 

Quotes

Quote

 Going with one of our refreshed B450 boards for the foundation of your build gives you more flexibility in how you allocate resources in your next Ryzen system. You might be able to choose a faster processor, a boosted graphics card, a bigger, future-proof power supply, or quieter, more robust CPU cooling. The latest Ryzen 3000-series processors will be right at home in our buffed-up B450 boards, and you can still install first- and second-generation Ryzen CPUs in these boards if need be.

 

My thoughts

This looks pretty good, in my opinion. I wonder was this done to help with upcoming 5000 series as well? Should definitely have a solid customer base for these boards, too.

 

Sources

 https://videocardz.com/press-release/asus-refreshes-amd-b450-motherboard-series


CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB | Motherboard: ROG Strix B450-F gaming | RAM: G.Skill Aegis CL16 3000mhz 16GB 

Hard Drives: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, WD 1TB | Case: Rosewill T500 PRISM | PSU: PowerSpec 750W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular 

Monitors: Acer KG240 144Hz / Acer V203H 60hz

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

We’re boosting the bang-for-the-buck of this platform with a refreshed family of ASUS B450 motherboards.

There you go. B550 probably cut into B450 mainboards and the "new and refreshed" variants are needed to fill the entry level spot in the line-up. They're likely cutting manufacturing costs and also the price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, motherboard is getting refreshes too now?

Quote

The latest Ryzen 3000-series processors

Not for long!


Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems a bit dumb with new chips being released soon and B550 being a thing 


Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

Seems a bit dumb with new chips being released soon and B550 being a thing 

I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe X570 will be the next chipset for 5000 series CPUs. And they might introduce a X590 with a four extra PCIe4 lanes to accomodate more fast storage. They launched B550 pretty late and I don't think there is any reason for a new chipset with the new generation of CPUs. B450 might stick around for some time as the entry level solution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HenrySalayne said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe X570 will be the next chipset for 5000 series CPUs. And they might introduce a X590 with a four extra PCIe4 lanes to accomodate more fast storage. They launched B550 pretty late and I don't think there is any reason for a new chipset with the new generation of CPUs. B450 might stick around for some time as the entry level solution.

Maybe but they were shifty with supporting the B450 boards at all


Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe X570 will be the next chipset for 5000 series CPUs. And they might introduce a X590 with a four extra PCIe4 lanes to accomodate more fast storage. They launched B550 pretty late and I don't think there is any reason for a new chipset with the new generation of CPUs. B450 might stick around for some time as the entry level solution.

No I agree it's pretty stupid to do this whole debacle when they just released b550 boards that support the new processors from the get go. 


PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING OC 3X 8G

ryzen 5 2600x at 4.1 GHz all core               (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
hyper 212 black edition cooler                  (cpu cooler)          |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |     (Memory)      HyperX Predator RGB 2x8 at 3200

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)          Razer deathadder elite

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

No I agree it's pretty stupid to do this whole debacle when they just released b550 boards that support the new processors from the get go. 

And the press release sounds just like the new standard BIOS for B450 will also support Ryzen 3000 from the get go.

 

6 hours ago, GreatnessRD said:

The latest Ryzen 3000-series processors will be right at home in our buffed-up B450 boards, and you can still install first- and second-generation Ryzen CPUs in these boards if need be.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

The real question is how much is these going to cost? Since its supposed to be entry level, I have a hard time believing it will be more than $110 USD. If any higher than that, I don't see why anyone wouldn't go for a B550 board. But I guess its allure would be for those wanting to move up for A320 and still using Zen/Zen+ while getting updated features. 


CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB | Motherboard: ROG Strix B450-F gaming | RAM: G.Skill Aegis CL16 3000mhz 16GB 

Hard Drives: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, WD 1TB | Case: Rosewill T500 PRISM | PSU: PowerSpec 750W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular 

Monitors: Acer KG240 144Hz / Acer V203H 60hz

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

There you go. B550 probably cut into B450 mainboards and the "new and refreshed" variants are needed to fill the entry level spot in the line-up. They're likely cutting manufacturing costs and also the price.

I see b450 as sort of sitting between b550 and a520, with a520 being not really up to snuff.   Could be theyre seeing a situation where people think a520 is too crappy to buy but they’ll still buy a b450 so the squeaky wheel gets the grease.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably leftovers,getting rid of old stock.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Could be theyre seeing a situation where people think a520 is too crappy to buy but they’ll still buy a b450 so the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

B550 boards are more expensive than B450,the B450 Tomahawk at $114 is capable of running even a 3950X with good airflow no problem.

Show me a B550 board that is capable of this at that price point.


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Probably leftovers,getting rid of old stock.

B550 boards are more expensive than B450,the B450 Tomahawk at $114 is capable of running even a 3950X with good airflow no problem.

Show me a B550 board that is capable of this at that price point.

Show me an a520 that can do it at all.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Show me an a520 that can do it at all.

A520 is DOA :D

 


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

A520 is DOA :D

 

I could see a520 being simply killed off by the popularity of ryzen.  If you could get a $45 mobo that would take a $80 cpu and $50 worth of memory it starts to make sense.  The problem is most of ryzen CPUs are so popular they’re selling at stupid markup.  The 3300x was designed to sell for $120.  I see demands of $200.   Who’s going to put a $200 chip in a $45 motherboard?


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

The 3300x was designed to sell for $120.  I see demands of $200.

you see 3300x cpus? they're out of stock everywhere in the US.


I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

 

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:

  • NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • Comes with a 650W NZXT PSU
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450i GAMING PLUS AC
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
  • RX480 untill I have more for a 2060 or 2070
  • 2tb Sabrent Rocket Q PCIE gen 3 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 470 128GB SATA SSD
Link to post
Share on other sites

In certain regions, you see Asus B450 selling at B550 prices.


Ryzen 5 3600 | Zotac GTX 1070 Mini | GA-AB350N-Gaming WiFi | G.Skill RipjawsV Silver 2x8GB @ 3200MHz CL16

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS | Lenovo Thinkpad T450 @ Pop!_OS 20.04

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

you see 3300x cpus? they're out of stock everywhere in the US.

I only see ads for em.  Really expensive ads. Apparently they exist just not in the US. 


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I only see ads for em.  Really expensive ads. Apparently they exist just not in the US. 

The 3300X is $140 in my country -_-


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, B450 is probably still better than an A520.


Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

            CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.1Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

            Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

                                                                                                                             

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The 3300X is $140 in my country -_-

A mere 18% over list (assuming my math is right which I’m not sure of)


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

A mere 18% over list (assuming my math is right which I’m not sure of)

same here roughly 141 euros. 


PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING OC 3X 8G

ryzen 5 2600x at 4.1 GHz all core               (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
hyper 212 black edition cooler                  (cpu cooler)          |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |     (Memory)      HyperX Predator RGB 2x8 at 3200

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)          Razer deathadder elite

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe X570 will be the next chipset for 5000 series CPUs. And they might introduce a X590 with a four extra PCIe4 lanes to accomodate more fast storage. They launched B550 pretty late and I don't think there is any reason for a new chipset with the new generation of CPUs. B450 might stick around for some time as the entry level solution.

I doubt it. The X570 already requires active cooling, and the X590 will not be mainstream unlike the B550 for Ryzen 5000 series. I think this is the end of the line for AM4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StDragon said:

I doubt it. The X570 already requires active cooling, and the X590 will not be mainstream unlike the B550 for Ryzen 5000 series. I think this is the end of the line for AM4.

So AMD has repetitively said. They’ve already held am4 much longer than intel normally holds a board.  There is supposition that the next boards will be ddr5 anyway which blows am4 out of the range of bare possibility anyway


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So AMD has repetitively said. They’ve already held am4 much longer than intel normally holds a board.  There is supposition that the next boards will be ddr5 anyway which blows am4 out of the range of bare possibility anyway

Exactly. DDR5 will be that push to AM5. I'm not sure they can squeeze more blood out of AM4 other than another chipset with reduced power requirements. But from a feature standpoint, AM4 is done.

 

The question is if AM5 will support PCIe 4.0 or 5.0 upon initial launch. Most likely 4.0 if I was a betting man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Exactly. DDR5 will be that push to AM5. I'm not sure they can squeeze more blood out of AM4 other than another chipset with reduced power requirements. But from a feature standpoint, AM4 is done.

 

The question is if AM5 will support PCIe 4.0 or 5.0 upon initial launch. Most likely 4.0 if I was a betting man.

My suspicion is both or ddr5 only.  Some motherboards would be ddr5, some would be ddr4.  If it’s just ddr4 there’s not enough reason to do an am5.  Zen4 with ddr4, if there even is a zen4 and not something else, (whether it is called zen4 or not) would have to have really good stuff under the hood to make it worth it, and while AMD is reaping benefits from intel’s inability to make a useful die change for what is over 10 years now, that will likely eventually end. AMD said they would support am4 through zen3.  They did not say they would do more than that, and they’re already having problems with am4 maintainance


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×