Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
parker13

College Major

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello! I'm looking into going to college for computers. I want to start a business around computers. I want my career to be based around building computers. I'm still quite confused but does anyone know what major I should choose? I was thinking computer science with a minor in business. I know this is messy but I don't have anyone to talk to about this dream lmao

 

Computer Engineering? (I just thought of this)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, parker13 said:

I want my career to be based around building computers

 

3 minutes ago, parker13 said:

minor in business

Major in business, just building computers is a dead end route, you'll want to know far more than just that, like networking, and consulting (where the real money is)

 


So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites

CE will get you nowhere that you want to go. Business is really the only applicable route 


|| ℍ𝕚 𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕪𝕒 || 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

 

Major in business, just building computers is a dead end route, you'll want to know far more than just that, like networking, and consulting (where the real money is)

 

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Slottr said:

CE will get you nowhere that you want to go. Business is really the only applicable route 

Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, parker13 said:

Thank you!

No sweat. I did IT break/fix/build for a living for a bit, it's fun, but not much money in it. Consulting and networking was where the cash really started to flow in


So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Radium_Angel said:

No sweat. I did IT break/fix/build for a living for a bit, it's fun, but not much money in it. Consulting and networking was where the cash really started to flow in

May I ask you to elaborate on consulting and networking?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, parker13 said:

I want to start a business around computers. I want my career to be based around building computers.

If you want to open a business around computers, you'll need to know how to fix them as well, not just building them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

If you want to open a business around computers, you'll need to know how to fix them as well, not just building them.

Which major would you recommend for that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, parker13 said:

Which major would you recommend for that?

I don't know if you learn that through university/college or through real world experience. Not my field.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, lewdicrous said:

I don't know if you learn that through university/college or through real world experience. Not my field.

Okay. The feedback is much appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parker13 said:

May I ask you to elaborate on consulting and networking?

Sure

 

Company comes in, they have 6 buildings across the city and 500 employees. How can they all talk to the same server?

Or

Rental manager wants to offer wireless in his 20 story apt building, but needs each person to get the same amount of bandwidth.

Or

We just got raided by the FBI and our CEO was hauled off to jail, but I snuck out some backup tapes before they took everything away. Can you build us a new server and restore all the data, like right now so we can continue to embezzle money from our existing clients, before this hits the news and we have to shut our doors for good?

 

I mean all these are hypothetical of course.

 

yeah, hypothetical.

 


So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Sure

 

Company comes in, they have 6 buildings across the city and 500 employees. How can they all talk to the same server?

Or

Rental manager wants to offer wireless in his 20 story apt building, but needs each person to get the same amount of bandwidth.

Or

We just got raided by the FBI and our CEO was hauled off to jail, but I snuck out some backup tapes before they took everything away. Can you build us a new server and restore all the data, like right now so we can continue to embezzle money from our existing clients, before this hits the news and we have to shut our doors for good?

 

I mean all these are hypothetical of course.

 

yeah, hypothetical.

 

Mhmmm hypothetical, I seeee. But I mean that sounds great. Where would I learn networking?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, parker13 said:

Mhmmm hypothetical, I seeee. But I mean that sounds great. Where would I learn networking?

Networking I learned on the fly. They won't really teach you that in college. Look into A+ or Net+ certs, or grab some cheap disposable computers from goodwill and set up a home network in your room and try various things. Also, learn linux. That will also come in handy


So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Networking I learned on the fly. They won't really teach you that in college. Look into A+ or Net+ certs, or grab some cheap disposable computers from goodwill and set up a home network in your room and try various things. Also, learn linux. That will also come in handy

Thank you!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, parker13 said:

Thank you!!

Sure, bear in mind if you want to go into business doing computer work, check your morals at the door. Don't do anything outright illegal, but if some woman brings you a PC and says it's her husband's and can you find out if he's having an affair on her...don't pass judgement.

 

You are providing a service in need. No room for judgement or moral qualms. I've seen it all...


So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Sure, bear in mind if you want to go into business doing computer work, check your morals at the door. Don't do anything outright illegal, but if some woman brings you a PC and says it's her husband's and can you find out if he's having an affair on her...don't pass judgement.

 

You are providing a service in need. No room for judgement or moral qualms. I've seen it all...

I'm definitely not going to do anything illegal. I am not that type of person. If someone needs help within legal judgement, I will help where I can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, parker13 said:

I'm definitely not going to do anything illegal. I am not that type of person. If someone needs help within legal judgement, I will help where I can.

And also, for new clients, always under-promise and over-deliver. It'll make them happy and they will spread your name around to their friends.

In the firm I worked for, we went from a 2 person outfit (me and the bossman) to a 10 person outfit, ISP and multiple offices, based on customer satisfaction, loyalty, and never saying "no" when the client is in need.

Service with a smile will get you farther than anything else. Remember, there is a ton of competition out there, even if you don't make a massive profit (or any at all) on a job, making a client happy is far more important. It will pay back tenfold down the line. 

 


So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites

you can learn networking in college if the college offers the right courses. the college I work for is a cisco academy partner school so we offer a decent tech branch. It covers just about everything to easily pass N+ and entry level cisco CCNA i think it was. def want to take linux and windows server classes as well. If you want an online school western governors university has some nice tech/business class options ( https://www.wgu.edu/online-business-degrees/it-information-technology-management-bachelors-program.html ) I'm looking into that one my self.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

And also, for new clients, always under-promise and over-deliver. It'll make them happy and they will spread your name around to their friends.

In the firm I worked for, we went from a 2 person outfit (me and the bossman) to a 10 person outfit, ISP and multiple offices, based on customer satisfaction, loyalty, and never saying "no" when the client is in need.

Service with a smile will get you farther than anything else. Remember, there is a ton of competition out there, even if you don't make a massive profit (or any at all) on a job, making a client happy is far more important. It will pay back tenfold down the line. 

 

Customer service is key!! Totally agreed. Thank you so much for the help today. It's very nice to be able to talk to someone about this stuff since no one I know does much with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, parker13 said:

Customer service is key!! Totally agreed. Thank you so much for the help today. It's very nice to be able to talk to someone about this stuff since no one I know does much with it.

You are welcome. Anytime you need advice with stuff like this, feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers mate!


So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, DavidKalinowski said:

you can learn networking in college if the college offers the right courses. the college I work for is a cisco academy partner school so we offer a decent tech branch. It covers just about everything to easily pass N+ and entry level cisco CCNA i think it was. def want to take linux and windows server classes as well. If you want an online school western governors university has some nice tech/business class options ( https://www.wgu.edu/online-business-degrees/it-information-technology-management-bachelors-program.html ) I'm looking into that one my self.

Thank you!! I've been trying to find colleges to go to that would still hold my love for tech in general. I wasn't gonna go to college a couple months ago because I was extremely unmotivated due to lack of support lmao

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I agree that business is the way to go, or study something like information systems that involves a lot of administration-type education like management, governance, architecture, etc. 

 

You will need that type of experience for many jobs in IT.  A lot of roles in IT you will be part of a team that will own some infrastructure.  Operations is kind of dying out in the long-term I think (local Datacenter Hosted Infrastructure) and going in more of an automated cloud, modular deployment.   

 

If you study things that are required, such as the skills that are needed to become a solutions/technical architect, then you will always have a job.  Projects need people who understand auditing, understand governance, understand how these systems work and the supporting infrastructure.  If you focus directly on engineering, in 5 or so years a lot of what you know will be trumped by new technologies. 

 

You can definitely keep up, but IMO the organization type stuff is the biggest learning curve in any IT field. It's one thing to know the engineering side it's a whole other thing to be able to write all that in design and implementation documents, proposals, and explain the whole systems to stakeholders. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2020 at 5:13 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Major in business

 

On 9/25/2020 at 12:27 AM, Akolyte said:

Yeah I agree that business is the way to go

 

I would only recommend a business major or degree in general if your goal is to be among the top 30% or you want a comparable easy study. I have done a few business classes and they are a joke compared to most computer science classes. They don´t even have to do homework and teachers do not leave if students are not prepared

 

A friend of mine did an apprenticeship and when he quit a business student was selected to do his job. Yeah, not exactly great job perspectives.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Business with a specialization in Information Technology Management (or Business Technology Management BTM, I've seen both terms used interchangeably) or regular Computer Science would be my picks. Computer Engineering is more about software development and maybe a bit of hardware engineering in my opinion. 

 

In Business they don't teach you the specifics of Databases (like how SQL and Relational Databases works) and Networking like they do in Computing Science. Then in Computer Science you could get into learning about Distributed Systems, Big Data, etc. 


AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×