What happened to all the UK format keyboards?

pipnina

I have been looking for a full size UK-format keyboard with brown switches, but like 90% of the ones that come up when I search for MX brown are in american format, with no £ symbol, and with the thin and wide return key.

I've put off buying a keyboard for a long time but really need something new because my current one is too big and bulky. I might not be able to find a suitable replacement though if the UK format is dying off for mechanical and gaming boards.

I gotta replace my RT9410 with something though, it's uggo, loud, and chonk.

Anyone know of a good brown keyboard that's available in the UK small format? (i.e. large enter key but no numpad) I can go over £100 for a nice one. Something that could last me another 20 years like the RT would be lit.

Kinda surprised there isn't a pinned thread for choice keyboards on this forum, since there is an über-detailed one for PSUs.

14 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Anyone know of a good brown keyboard that's available in the UK small format? (i.e. large enter key but no numpad)

You want a UK layout TKL keyboard? I'm using a Corsair K65 Lux RGB which fits that, apart from having reds not brown switches.

One thing I did note that really annoyed me when I looked previously at the likes of Corsair, Logitech and others, was that many stock images on sales sites were of the US model, but if you check the part number it was the UK version with UK layout. It really doesn't help when they do that...

I'll have a go shortly to see if I can identify something potentially suitable.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Hey there.

Try searching for "ISO Keyboards". Double-check for ISO-UK layouts, though, 'cos ISO still comes in a few variants (DE, FR, etc.).

ISO vs. ANSI Layout:

Spoiler

ISO Layout

6WpRATI.png&key=373ca45fdcea75c83d9a9ce1

ANSI Layout

HgChqWa.png&key=ff09f5f330c5c959b5167e29

UK Keyboard Vendors:

Source: An Introduction to Custom Mechanical Keyboards on the LTT Forums.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

2 minutes ago, porina said:

You want a UK layout TKL keyboard? I'm using a Corsair K65 Lux RGB which fits that, apart from having reds not brown switches.

One thing I did note that really annoyed me when I looked previously at the likes of Corsair, Logitech and others, was that many stock images on sales sites were of the US model, but if you check the part number it was the UK version with UK layout. It really doesn't help when they do that...

I'll have a go shortly to see if I can identify something potentially suitable.

If they often put US model photos on UK model board listings that could explain why I am struggling...

2 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Hey there.

Try searching for "ISO Keyboards". Double-check for ISO-UK layouts, though, 'cos ISO still comes in a few variants (DE, FR, etc.).

ISO vs. ANSI Layout:

UK Keyboard Vendors:

Source: An Introduction to Mechanical Keyboards on the LTT Forums.

Aha, I looked on scan, novatech and amazon, but I forgot about overclockers and didn't know about mechboards or TKC.

I'm looking through overclockers and they seem to have a pretty nice variety, thanks!

1 minute ago, pipnina said:

If they often put US model photos on UK model board listings that could explain why I am struggling...

It was the case of Logitech and/or Corsair at least. I don't know about other manufacturers. 

In a quick look I couldn't find a TKL with brown switches on Corsair's site. I gave up on Logitech's as it was horrible. Wait, just checking in case I misread your requirements. Did you want a full keyboard, or one without the numpad?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

It was the case of Logitech and/or Corsair at least. I don't know about other manufacturers. 

In a quick look I couldn't find a TKL with brown switches on Corsair's site. I gave up on Logitech's as it was horrible. Wait, just checking in case I misread your requirements. Did you want a full keyboard, or one without the numpad?

I'm looking for one without the numpad if possible. Trying to reclaim some desk space.

Thanks for your help :D

@porina @Eschew I ended up buying the one from the link in my above reply, thanks for both of your help in this :D

Can't wait to try it out, the keyboard is the only part of my system that is antiquated at the moment.