Things to know when buying an IPS (would be nice to run a PC along but ya).

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

a what now? 

I assume he means a UPS?

@Joe Jackman if that's correct, why do you need to run all of those things off of a UPS? That seems like massive overkill, and will require a higher capacity unit. If you wanted to run the TV? No problem. I'm not sure what a DTH is (Digital... Theatre? AV Receiver? Satellite/Cable Receiver?).

Anyway, look up the wattage used by each of those devices, add some headroom (at least 20% or more) and then you can look at what kind of UPS you even need. Adding a computer is no problem, if you get the correct sized UPS.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, Caroline said:

uhhh ok, wasn't DTH some audio stuff? not sure what tho

Yeah I'm not sure. My first thought was a Digital Home Theatre (DHT) system of some kind, like a Home Theatre in-a-box (HTIB) or an AV Receiver.

7 minutes ago, Caroline said:

what about the ceiling fans, and lights? I'd get a generator at that point

I have one but just for the lights and fridge, the rest stays off

I would just... not put a ceiling fan and lights onto a UPS. But you're right, if the OP needs actual off-grid backup power, they need a generator or a proper battery bank (whether that's a home-made battery bank or a turnkey solution like a PowerWall).

But unless there's a very specific reason for that, there's really no need to power those things unless you expect power to be out for days. And for sure, whatever you do power with a generator, make sure it's bare minimum.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

if you mean a UPS, then what you should look at is the output capacity and uptime for your intended use

you can also get line-interactive ones where they filter the input voltage to produce a cleaner output

you can also get ones that can help you shut down/hibernate your PC automatically in the case of power outage, so you can be away and your work wont be lost

though I recommend against a ceiling fan or any non-crucial things to be added to the UPS

UPS' power dont last for a very long time, unless you buy a high capacity unit (which will cost a lot not only in purchasing cost, but also maintenance as you'll need to swap the batteries every couple years)

so minimizing the things you plug in would save a lot of costs.

It's generally recommended to only power the minimal of things that is critical on the UPS, like a Desktop PC + monitor, and maybe networking equipment if you need it running during power outage

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Batteries need to recharge whereas a generator runs on gas or liquid fuel, what I do with mine is run the fridge for 2 hours, wait for 2 hours and repeat, then power up the lights for 4-5 hours to have dinner and that's it

power is usually out for days in summer, a friend helps me by changing the oil and checking the engine from time to time so it doesn't breaks down

Damn - having to deal with that regularly must be annoying as hell. 

Good strategies. Fortunately here extended power outages are incredibly rare. I have a UPS for the server and that’s pretty much it. 

16 hours ago, Moonzy said:

if you mean a UPS, then what you should look at is the output capacity and uptime for your intended use

you can also get line-interactive ones where they filter the input voltage to produce a cleaner output

you can also get ones that can help you shut down/hibernate your PC automatically in the case of power outage, so you can be away and your work wont be lost

though I recommend against a ceiling fan or any non-crucial things to be added to the UPS

UPS' power dont last for a very long time, unless you buy a high capacity unit (which will cost a lot not only in purchasing cost, but also maintenance as you'll need to swap the batteries every couple years)

so minimizing the things you plug in would save a lot of costs.

It's generally recommended to only power the minimal of things that is critical on the UPS, like a Desktop PC + monitor, and maybe networking equipment if you need it running during power outage

and Others, "IPS is Interruptible Power Supply. It has the same components as the UPS except that its Inverter will only turn on when the AC main power is out thus there is interruption during the switching of power from AC to Inverter. While the UPS is continuously running and supplying power to the load by its inverter which is powered by batteries. Only the battery charger stops when the main AC power is out." https://www.quora.com/What-are-those-differences-between-UPS-IPS-and-AVR

But Ik how this sounds to run ceiling fans taking 250w(or more)  total (4 fans- they are like as old as me-16-20 years), Lights of  100W (total) LED's 
and the TV (buying a new one), but its actually a necessity. let me explain.

My sister about 12 years old has autism and while the load shedding is not that bad but a second off electrify freaks her out and she has a habit of watching videos and TV running and we installed a satellite TV connection just for her.
For my needs, i could use very low powered laptop (run linux on it) those netbooks that runs like 150w 512Mb of ram or something.  and a table fan (about 50W).

So today i went out to check out my options.
and others are locals who can put those stuff together.
what should i do, and yes If my dad wants to run the house (not liking how i planning things to run things at min) then we could just get a generator and UPS for PC and Battery packs for the ISP converters and routers.  (i'll talk to him about this though and not really sure what he is going to side to).
image.thumb.png.b319c1e8c009696098a2f96d320fef89.png

so with that in mind, what do i do?
900VA is like 330.29 USD amd second one well its more than this. 1USD=80Tk.

image.png

Edited by Joe Jackman

7 hours ago, Joe Jackman said:

If my dad wants to run the house (not liking how i planning things to run things at min) then we could just get a generator and UPS for PC and Battery packs for the ISP converters and routers.  (i'll talk to him about this though and not really sure what he is going to side to).

this sounds like a better plan if that's your situation

a UPS for things that interact with her so she doesnt freak out. and use a generator for the rest of the house

though keep in mind a UPS only lasts for around ~15min usually

7 hours ago, Joe Jackman said:

so with that in mind, what do i do?

i cant give specific model, unfortunately, as the specs are still alien to me

feel free to make a new thread about it in Cases and Power Supplies subforum(more visibility) though, pretty sure someone can assist you

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately