Replaced memory and PC flat out refuses to power on

Long story short I just replaced the RAM in my PC and tried to boot up (which didn’t work) I then figured that I need to clear CMOS because it’s a different component and PC doesn’t know any better, so I unplugged everything again and removed the battery from the motherboard for 2-3 mins. I put it back in, plugged everything back into the PC and now pressing the power button does absolutely nothing. I tried to reset CMOS shorting the two pins I got on the motherboard, removing the battery again, making sure that everything is seated correctly but nothing helped so far and I am out of ideas.. Was only meant to be a simple RAM upgrade

Could be Bad Ram, have you tried using the old ram and see if that works?

10 hours ago, iEimis said:

for 2-3 mins

try 5-10 minutes. 

10 hours ago, iEimis said:

Was only meant to be a simple RAM upgrade

do you have the original kit? if so, try booting with that.

also specs? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, Cargamer1346YT said:

Could be Bad Ram, have you tried using the old ram and see if that works?

When I first put the RAM in, the LEDs came on but it would not post, so I thought I’ll clear CMOS as it’s a new component technically so BIOS must have been confused. I will try the old kit but when I press power button there is physically nothing happening whatsoever, fans, nothing comes on.

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

try 5-10 minutes. 

do you have the original kit? if so, try booting with that.

also specs? 

Will try original kit but it doesn’t boot physical whatsoever not just post (it did boot initially but didn’t post with new RAM)

specs:

MB: B350 Tomahawk

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: EVGA GTX1070

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 2x8GB

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified

Storage: 1x Samsung Evo 970 nvme 1x Samsung Evo 860 SSD

1 minute ago, iEimis said:

but it doesn’t boot physical whatsoever not just post

Try the original kit and also take out the battery for 5-10 minutes. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Try the original kit and also take out the battery for 5-10 minutes. 

Okay will try that, if I short the two pins does it do the same thing as battery? And for that I assume the power cord has to be unplugged from the back?

Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked :/

51 minutes ago, iEimis said:

That's because you're not getting all the steps here.

Unplug or switch the PSU off.

Hit the power switch a few times

Remove the cmos battery for a min. of 10 minutes.

In addition to jumping the cmos jumper for 15 seconds

Or if you have a little jumper, leave that on for the entire time the battery is removed.

Reassemble the battery and remove the jumper. 

Switch the PSU on and try to post.

Initial post may take up to 180s or 3mins.

If you still get a no post, (or perhaps do this step first) check the case switch operation.

Remove it from the FP pins and jump the pins for PWS. Hope it posts up.

If not, test the PSU next.

Good luck.

9 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Or if you have a little jumper, leave that on for the entire time the battery is removed.

If you still get a no post, (or perhaps do this step first) check the case switch operation.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, iEimis said:

Another trick you can do, after clearing cmos with the PSU unplugged,

after clearing the CMOS, REMOVE the RAM and the CPU, completely.

Then reinstall the CMOS battery, reconnect power and try turning on the system without the RAM and CPU installed.

Then turn it off, reinstall RAM and CPU, reapply thermal paste (obviously), and then power on.

System should now work.

59 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Good luck.

Tried all of the above a number of times. Left the battery out for well over 30 mins. Finally, nothing was working so I took everything apart, tested PSU with just MB connector and paperclip and the fan spins up. Reassembled the entire PC and still no power whatsoever when I hit the switch. Coming to the conclusion that I somehow killed MB by taking battery out initially which would be rather crazy

51 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Another trick you can do, after clearing cmos with the PSU unplugged,

after clearing the CMOS, REMOVE the RAM and the CPU, completely.

Then reinstall the CMOS battery, reconnect power and try turning on the system without the RAM and CPU installed.

Then turn it off, reinstall RAM and CPU, reapply thermal paste (obviously), and then power on.

System should now work.

Think the MB is dead, can’t think of any other possible troubleshooting steps at this point. PSU is working fine when tested. 

1 hour ago, iEimis said:

Think the MB is dead, can’t think of any other possible troubleshooting steps at this point. PSU is working fine when tested. 

Bummer. Very possible it's the board. 

6 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Bummer. Very possible it's the board. 

Dumb question, you don’t have to have peripherals plugged in for the PC to power on? Assuming all the components are connected, just the power cable should be sufficient?

4 hours ago, iEimis said:

Dumb question, you don’t have to have peripherals plugged in for the PC to power on? Assuming all the components are connected, just the power cable should be sufficient?

The board may post without a cpu for bios flashing purposes, but that's about it. To get a normal full post need cpu ram and gpu installed. Drives and everything else you can remove.

28 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The board may post without a cpu for bios flashing purposes, but that's about it. To get a normal full post need cpu ram and gpu installed. Drives and everything else you can remove.

Fair enough, yeah I have absolutely no power, think the board is dead. Probably gonna buy a new one and hope it works and nothing else is damaged. It’s mental how a simple ram upgrade on a perfectly working machine turns into this...

1 minute ago, iEimis said:

Fair enough, yeah I have absolutely no power, think the board is dead. Probably gonna buy a new one and hope it works and nothing else is damaged. It’s mental how a simple ram upgrade on a perfectly working machine turns into this...

Call that shit happens. 

Generally ram doesn't break the board, but with electronics, anything can happen. 

But yes I'd suspect the board has an issue.

Sorry for that.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Call that shit happens. 

Generally ram doesn't break the board, but with electronics, anything can happen. 

But yes I'd suspect the board has an issue.

Sorry for that.

Cheers, will see whether I could RMA it with MSI, although not sure how long their warranty is, I had the system for just over 2 years at this point

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update:

It was indeed a dead motherboard, found a good deal on a new B550 board and replaced it today, the PC finally boots up.

However, I now have another problem, my secondary SSD drive which is connected via SATA interface does not show up in Windows nor BIOS. At first I realised that it was actually not plugged into the power supply (easy fix I thought) unfortunately, plugging it into the power supply nothing happens still. I haven't tried different cables yet as it was otherwise a fully working drive that I used for only around a year and haven't actually done many writes/reads.

Any suggestions?