Old PS3 use

Kanna

What can I do with an old ps3 besides playing games of course

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Not much tbh. Despite the console being fully exploitable these days there's very little homebrew or other "fun things" you can try (at least compared to other consoles) since the system architecture is so different to everything else nobody really cared enough to create anything.

I believe you can install Linux using homebrew and custom firmwares but the 256mb of system RAM really does hold it back pretty drastically.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

depending on the modle you can play blu-rays, dvds , ps2 games, ps1 games and put homebrue on it.

you can also surf the web and check e-mails

Please excuse my spelling

1 minute ago, gloop said:

Install Linux on it!

Which ones can be installed since @Master Disaster said it doesn't have much system ram

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

2 minutes ago, DarthEoin said:

depending on the modle you can play blu-rays, dvds , ps2 games, ps1 games and put homebrue on it

Is there a way I can run my old games without disks since I have the discs but I don't want to switch (like having them on the drive)

Reminder⚠️

4 minutes ago, gloop said:

That article in from 2008 and the feature it covers was removed by Sony. You cannot install Linux on the PS3 in this way any more.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Is there a way I can run my old games without disks since I have the discs but I don't want to switch (like having them on the drive)

you can load disc on to memory if you mod your ps3 not sure about older discs tho. altho you use to be able to buy them of the ps3 store so??

1 minute ago, DarthEoin said:

altho you use to be able to buy them of the ps3 store so??

Re buying my games for digital? how can I load them onto memory?

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

That article in from 2008 and the feature it covers was removed by Sony. You cannot install Linux on the PS3 in this way any more.

altho you can do it a diffrent way https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-still-works-as-of-19-2-20-installing-red-ribbon-linux-on-rebug-4-81-2-4-84-2-d-rex.16419/

5 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Its been a while since I messed with a PS3 but IIRC after softmodding you can boot PS1 & PS2 ISOs on a PS3.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Its been a while since I messed with a PS3 but IIRC after softmodding you can boot PS1 & PS2 ISOs on a PS3.

How do I turn my discs into the image file?

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

How do I turn my discs into the image file?

The only way is a computer with a DVD drive and lots of time (unless you can rip them direct on the console these days?)

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The only way is a computer with a DVD drive and lots of time (unless you can rip them direct on the console these days?)

Guess I won't be doing that then just using the disks then I suppose

Reminder⚠️

52 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I use mine to have some fun trying to develop to the CELL processor. I made a post last year when I first got into it.

48 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Which ones can be installed since @Master Disaster said it doesn't have much system ram

Red Ribbon linux (which is way outdated) or build/port your own.

46 minutes ago, Kanna said:

You can create images for those disks (either from your PC or from the PS3 itself).

39 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

PS3 game disks are blu-ray. But yes, you can rip them direct from the console.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, igormp said:

PS3 game disks are blu-ray. But yes, you can rip them direct from the console.

So I can for example rip my cod mw3 disk and play without the disc?

Reminder⚠️

Build a supercomputer!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

But seriously, probably just play old games now that linux compatibility is dead.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1 hour ago, Kanna said:

Using multiple for artillery calculations 

Edit it were PS2s

but still  the US airforce had a Supercomputer made up by a cluster of 1760 PS3s

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, FakeNSA said:

Build a supercomputer!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

But seriously, probably just play old games now that linux compatibility is dead.

Yeah heard that supercomputer before fascinating tbh, Yeah playing old games or using it as just youtube is my best go (is there crunchyroll for it?)

Reminder⚠️

4 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Using multiple of them for artilley ballistics calculation like Saddam Hussein 

You could also use 1760 (or 1776) of them to create a cluster to analyze HD satellite imagery like the U.S. Air Force.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

Or use 1760 (or 1776) to create a cluster to analyze HD satellite imagery like the U.S. Air Force.

I know 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, Drama Lama said:

I know 

So you know? Well, I know, that they know you know.