Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sealth

Is it ok? To Removing Buzzer from UPS

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys, i want to mute my UPS forever. Is it ok to just pull the buzzer out? Will it short circuit or something ?

17 minutes ago, Sealth said:

Hi guys, i want to mute my UPS forever. Is it ok to just pull the buzzer out? Will it short circuit or something ?

No, it won't short-circuit it and yes, it's technically fine. That said, you won't get an audible notification if there's a power-failure or if e.g. the battery fails and needs to be changed.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Posted · Original PosterOP
41 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No, it won't short-circuit it and yes, it's technically fine. That said, you won't get an audible notification if there's a power-failure or if e.g. the battery fails and needs to be changed.

Thank You, if the battery fail and i didnot notice it will it cause problem rather then fail to supply power?

I have to ask: how often does the buzzer make noise? If it does so often, there might be something wrong with it... Mine only went of  3 times in 4 Years: when I tested it, when I had a power outtage and when I had to change the batteries...

9 minutes ago, Sealth said:

Thank You, if the battery fail and i didnot notice it will it cause problem rather then fail to supply power?

Well, if the reason for the buzzing is overheating. you might consider to put a fire extinguisher and a fire alarm close to it.

I had a defective UPS literally catch fire at work once. The battery failure alarm was going off, and when I power cycled the UPS, it literally caught fire and started spewing sparks and smoke out the top.

An edge case for sure, but I personally would never disable the alarm on a UPS.

@Sealth why do you want to permanently silence it?

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

If it helps, I pulled the buzzer on mine, and now I listen for the relay click to know the UPS is active. If you have the UPS on anything sensitive to power failure (like work/school computers or critical equipment) then you should leave the buzzer since it will indicate the battery is failing before the failure leaves you... powerless ;) I am only using my UPSs for my network equipment and home theater so it's better for me to not have the alarm since none of those devices are super critical (as far as data loss is concerned).