i7-8700k OC Help

Go to solution Solved by Mister Woof,
13 minutes ago, ManDownUnder said:

I turned LLC to High but got BSOD non stop. so increased Vcore to 1.35 and no bsod atm but still got vin 1 and vin 2  2.016 V

This is fine. Anything under 1.4 is fine. If you can get that stable with moderate levels of LLC, you're good.

Anything under 100c in a full blown stress test is fine.

Your cooling is good. The only thing you can really do to improve things is to delid. Which I did and helped a ton.

Hey guys.

I have a question regarding overclocking my i7-8700k to 5ghz on Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 and H115i Pro Corsair 280mm AIO.

Currently i have OC to 5ghz with 1.310 V and LLC on Turbo.

It seems to be stable but im hitting 90c on some cores during  Cinebench test. When gaming it doesnt even fo over 75.

I am able to crank case and cooler fans to 100% and i get about 85c during the test but not putting up with the noise. No load temp is 25'c-30c with heater on.

Will these temps be okay?

5ghz HWM.png

90c is on the higher side of things. But since it's a stress test it always will be pretty high. If the temps are good under your normal workload then that's fine. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Looks normal for aio stuff. I dont care for stress tests temps. Only real world matters to me.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

15 minutes ago, ManDownUnder said:

Currently i have OC to 5ghz with 1.310 V and LLC on Turbo.

Your cores are hitting a maximum voltage of 2.0V! That's terrifyingly high! I very, very much recommend you find as low LLC as you can that's still stable, because with LLC set at Turbo, your cores are getting way too much voltage.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Your cores are hitting a maximum voltage of 2.0V! That's terrifyingly high! I very, very much recommend you find as low LLC as you can that's still stable, because with LLC set at Turbo, your cores are getting way too much voltage.

ooh shit i was just looking at the top vcore not other lines.... ill drop that down now.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Could this be a problem with HWmonitor readings>?

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That's very likely just a false reading - if the Vcore actually hit 2V then OP would be looking at a fried CPU.

Regardless, I agree that dropping the LLC down would be a good thing to do to drop those temps a little bit.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, ManDownUnder said:

Could this be a problem with HWmonitor readings>?

You can always try e.g. HWinfo64, which I use, if you like. That said, no, I don't think those readings are wrong.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I turned LLC to High but got BSOD non stop. so increased Vcore to 1.35 and no bsod atm but still got vin 1 and vin 2  2.016 V

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You can always try e.g. HWinfo64, which I use, if you like. That said, no, I don't think those readings are wrong.

were does it show VCORE on that program?

After dropping LLC to High and increasing V-core to 1.35v getting lower temps in the 80's now during cinebench. I watched the V-core on CPUz and it didnt go over 1.272v.

Vin 1, 2 and 3 still really high

5ghz 2.png

13 minutes ago, ManDownUnder said:

This is fine. Anything under 1.4 is fine. If you can get that stable with moderate levels of LLC, you're good.

Your cooling is good. The only thing you can really do to improve things is to delid. Which I did and helped a ton.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Okay. i'm so confused. Werecatf said these are correct readings. but after doing some research i found that VID is NOT a voltage. It's just a value sent from the CPU to the motherboard. Ignore it. Is this correct?

2 minutes ago, ManDownUnder said:

Okay. i'm so confused. Werecatf said these are correct readings. but after doing some research i found that VID is NOT a voltage. It's just a value sent from the CPU to the motherboard. Ignore it. Is this correct?

VID is what the chip is requesting, not what it's getting. Look for the VR OUT reading, if you can find it, that will be the most accurate. Otherwise there should be a VCORE reading somewhere under the motherboard sensors.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

VID is what the chip is requesting, not what it's getting. Look for the VR OUT reading, if you can find it, that will be the most accurate. Otherwise there should be a VCORE reading somewhere under the motherboard sensors.

Thanks Mr Woof. that previous information had me worried for a moment there.