What kind of cpu for 4k gaming

Hello everyone, 

I'm thinking of upgrading my cpu for better gaming performance, I currently have a i7 6700k with a 1080 ti. 

how much performance will I really gain from upgrading my cpu, and what kind of cpu would be the best for 4k gaming. 

will replace the 1080 ti to the new 3080 ti when its released. 

Thanks, 

I suppose it depends on what sort of games you're playing.

That spec you have there should be absolutely running 4k as is... I have an i7-6900K and a GTX1080 and run 4k games easily, plus VR.

GPU matter MUCH more at 4k. A 3300x would be fine. Stick with your 6700k until 4th gen Ryzen.

If you can wait for a 3080Ti, then you can certainly wait for newer CPUs too.

The 6700k is still a very respectible CPU and when overclocked it still dances around most AMD offerings in a lot of games.

I almost regret selling my 6700k, because it was that good. (Had it overclocked to 4,9Ghz tho)

for 4k gaming gpu is priority, better buy stronger gpu and don't bother with cpu

I would recommend an Intel CPU if you’re just gaming cause Intel CPUs has an increase in fps.

7 minutes ago, lluyd said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm thinking of upgrading my cpu for better gaming performance, I currently have a i7 6700k with a 1080 ti. 

how much performance will I really gain from upgrading my cpu, and what kind of cpu would be the best for 4k gaming. 

will replace the 1080 ti to the new 3080 ti when its released. 

Thanks, 

Probably not enough to justify the upgrade.

I have a i7-4770 and a GTX 1080  (no-Ti) and most 4K-enabled games play at 50fps, so a Ti should have no problem hitting 60fps.

If you want to blow away 60fps, then just wait for a 3080Ti. The CPU upgrade will not contribute nearly enough to increase that frame rate.

so I'd better stick with the i7 6700k, would a overclock help a lot?

i have never overclocked mine. 

Im gonna be honest, 4k gaming is not all that great. Framerates tend to be bleh without a decent GPU and such. Wouldnt reccomend it. At this point its a GPU bound issue, and its not going to be fixed anytime soon.

33 minutes ago, lluyd said:

so I'd better stick with the i7 6700k, would a overclock help a lot?

i have never overclocked mine. 

Perhaps it would help for some games.  If you’re not maxing you cpu in a given game though it won’t do anything

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.