In need of an upgrade without knowing the problem.

Alright, so I've been debating for a long time whether I should upgrade what I have to something better and, if so, what should be upgraded.

As it stands, I'm using a PC I built probably 5 years ago?

Includes:

EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC

Intel i5-2500 3.3GHz CPU

32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance (Pro?)

Gigabyte ga-b75m-d3h Motherboard

and I'm using a 2 monitor setup, Primary is 1920x1080 60Hz and Secondary is a cheap 1600x1200 60Hz. Typically play several newer games, including VR titles such as Half-Life: Alyx. Strangely enough, I found it to be quite playable. Any suggestions? 

(Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post on)

without knowing your budget, it's hard making a recommendation. your system is pretty balanced, so a significant boost in performance will only come with significant upgrades (selling everything and starting from scratch)

budget ?

wait for zen 3 and ampere and big navi unless you absolutely need an upgrade.

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, QuartzKayak said:

As it stands, I'm using a PC I built probably 5 years ago?

Intel i5-2500 3.3GHz CPU

You built a 9 year old PC, 5 years ago?

If the current performances you get out of it is satisfying to you and it can play the games you want, there isn't really a reason to "upgrade" anything just yet.

But if you do want to upgrade, I'd suggest waiting for the end of the year, when new AMD CPUs are released and new GPUs are also released.

You'll need, at the very least, to change the CPU, motherboard and RAM if you do "upgrade". None of it will be compatible with a newer CPU after all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Honestly, when it comes to part upgrades, I'm not looking to get the best of the best, per se. Only trying to get an Idea of what should or shouldn't need an upgrade to get decent frames inside of games, especially that of VR games. I seem to get a solid 30 FPS in games like Blade and Sorcery.

In terms of a Budget, Looking somewhere around a $300 point, but I do know if I end up having to upgrade my cpu, my motherboard will require an upgrade too.

Funnily enough, I appear to know less about this than I previously thought.

2 minutes ago, QuartzKayak said:

but I do know if I end up having to upgrade my cpu, my motherboard will require an upgrade too.

And the RAM too. Unless you get something on the used market, up to Intel i7 4770k, which I believe were the last CPUs to use DDR3.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

So, I guess I should ask what would be a larger priority? CPU or GPU?

Again, Mostly I find issues in VR games. Unless I'm mistaken, VR games tend to use the CPU more due to the tracking calculations. Thus, leads me to believe I should upgrade the CPU.

At this point, it's not really "upgrade" territory any more. To get any meaningful improvement, you're going to need to replace all of your CPU, GPU, motherboard, and RAM.

You might be able to keep the case, PSU, and any drives. However, depending on the wattage of the PSU, that might have to be upgraded as well, and unless you already have an SSD, you'd be crazy not to upgrade the storage as well.

Long and short, I'd just price a new build entirely, and plan for that. Waiting a little while will help on costs. New AMD chips graphics cards from both Nvidia and AMD are incoming. You don't have to actually get the new stuff, but once it's released, the cost of the current gen components should drop.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

Long and short, I'd just price a new build entirely, and plan for that. Waiting a little while will help on costs. New AMD chips graphics cards from both Nvidia and AMD are incoming. You don't have to actually get the new stuff, but once it's released, the cost of the current gen components should drop.

Then that sounds like what I'll end up doing. Thanks.