Extremely drastic Ryzen temp spikes

Hello!

So i have been having very high temperature spikes on  my Ryzen CPU and I was not able to find anything in google other than "its just ryzen".

I have been having 10C degree spikes constantly which does not seem normal to me. The machine at idle keeps 50-60 degrees and with prime95 runnning it gets 60-70 degrees averages.
Its just that the temperature spikes are constant and you can see the below picture of the temp graph for 1 minute.

My cooler is Dark Rock Pro 3 which is like.. the biggest air cooler out there probably and the thermal paste is an Arctic MX-4 applied 2 months ago. And there is a sufficient amount on there.

I just dont see how the CPU can be at 60 degrees on idle and 70 degrees on prime95 and where these spikes are coming from..

In the BIOS, the temperature sensors read 30 degrees, which is normal, but in Windows, i havent seen it below 45c.

Here is the graph:
 image.thumb.png.8607b1035481776d0a7600de7559dffc.png

Any ideas?

Could it be from the fact that i changed the entire system (new mobo, switched from intel to amd, new everything) and did not reinstall windows ?

I would try maybe using HWInfo64 for monitoring..... The see what the tems report. Run the software individually to prevent conflicts.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

I would try maybe using HWInfo64 for monitoring..... The see what the tems report. Run the software individually to prevent conflicts.

Well that report IS from HWinfo64

And here is another minute report after literally closing everything ( had chrome with 20 tabs and an empty minecraft server running ) : 
image.thumb.png.43af832513ac06d8be6f005157df83ab.png

It did get down to between 40 and 50, but still. Very consistent, almost, if not perfect 10 degree jumps in the temperature....

The Ryzen Master application does not really show these spikes, yet it does update only every second.. Seems to be a relatively common issue, but i just cant help but think that something is wrong..

A couple notes:

1. 10ºC is nothing for an idle processor. Anything waking the CPU up from "cool'n'quiet" to base or boost clocks could easily cause that.
  2. The regular pattern could be do to some tiny scheduled task being run, prompting the up-clock, up -vcore combo of leaving idle, then going back to idle
  3. 16 minutes ago, Nathraichean said:

And here is another minute report after literally closing everything ( had chrome with 20 tabs and an empty minecraft server running )

Each of those 21 tasks could be triggering tiny loads on your CPU that lead to these small temp spikes

4. 40 minutes ago, Nathraichean said:

My cooler is Dark Rock Pro 3 which is like.. the biggest air cooler out there probably and the thermal paste is an Arctic MX-4 applied 2 months ago. And there is a sufficient amount on there.

That will matter for temperatures under sustained load, but not so much for package spikes from transitions. The shape of what you show could be caused by the fans on the cooler ramping up and down as temperatures increase and then decrease, if your fan curve has the appropriate thresholds. However, the time frame of what you observe makes me think that's hardly the case. Your cooler may influence the exact size of the spike, although I still think this is too small for any observable difference other than some cooler vs. no cooler.

My best guess is: normal behavior due to intermittent load by background processes. Happens with any CPU I've used if your measurement is frequent enough (especially on modern Windows systems, where even a fresh install has hundreds of background processes and scheduled tasks, let alone one with a browser open).

11 hours ago, Nathraichean said:

Well that report IS from HWinfo64

Good. Ive never used the graph before lol.

Pretty normal for Ryzen processors. 

Very dense transisitor count is directly responsible.

If your load temp exceeds 95c the processor will throttle. You've got plenty of headroom. I wouldnt worry about it....

On 6/24/2020 at 2:49 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Good. Ive never used the graph before lol.

Pretty normal for Ryzen processors. 

Very dense transisitor count is directly responsible.

If your load temp exceeds 95c the processor will throttle. You've got plenty of headroom. I wouldnt worry about it....

Well... under Prime95 the CPU goes to about 75C.. and on normal load its 60-70C which is... not that cool but oh well.

Another issue is that when i have Prime95 running, the pc starts to hang/freeze. Maybe faulty/unstable CPU? But that is only when running Prime95 at the stress test..

Edit : Unintentional pun in the first sentence

4 hours ago, Nathraichean said:

Well... under Prime95 the CPU goes to about 75C.. and on normal load its 60-70C which is... not that cool but oh well.

Another issue is that when i have Prime95 running, the pc starts to hang/freeze. Maybe faulty/unstable CPU? But that is only when running Prime95 at the stress test..

Well, the "high temps" isn't really much you can do about it. The temp jumps of 10-20c can't be helped much really either. 

Transistor density Examples. Previous Arch vs newer.

3600X = 3,800 million or 3.8 Billion transistors across 6 cores. 95w - Max temp 95c

FX-8350 is only 1,200 million or 1.2 Billion across 8 cores. 125w - max temp 61c

60-70c temps are fine. Worry if you experience 90c often.

I have a 3700X and this was something I noticed in the beginning too. If you have everything set to auto in the BIOS then when you have a single-thread task (most tasks) start it will use Precision Boost to turbo up and it ups the vcore to around 1.45v so that's what is causing those spikes. Programs like HWinfo64 show the temps whenever they update whereas Ryzen Master averages those out every second so the spikes don't show on Ryzen Master.

It's normal as everyone has stated and what you have seen online. Even with running an overclock of 4.3 GHz on all cores with a static vcore of 1.3125v I still get spikes sometimes so don't worry about it. It's how AMD designed the chips. Only start worrying if you get into the 90's.

23 hours ago, Nathraichean said:

75 is not a worry. Pretty normal as it has been explained. Temp spikes are common too, it's because something is making the CPU boost this may be background tasks by the way. AMD recommend to use Ryzen Balanced power plan with updated chipset driver to properly power manage the Ryzen CPU. However if you want even cooler and quieter operation you can use Power Saving plan when you are doing light tasks only. Worked fine with my 3600x but I stopped it and rather use a flat fan profile to stop fans from speeding up and down.

Prime95 does not compare to real workloads. If your PC works fine in other applications I would not worry about any problems associated with P95. However you could run Memtest perhaps and check if your memory is stable if you have XMP/DOCP enabled. If you still worry about your CPU, run Cinebench R20 and see if the same behaviour occurs. Much more realistic workload and it also stresses the CPU.