Windows 10 Update KB4549951 Causes BSOD For Some Users

Rainbow Dash

windows-10-2018-insider-wallpaper.jpg?fit=2000,1000&strip=all

image source: venturebeat

Microsoft latest Patch Tuesday update for Windows 10 Version 1909 and 1903 that is Windows 10 KB4549951 update is reportedly causing multiple issues for those who installed the update as well as for those who’re trying to install it. Interestingly, though, the KB4549951 update changelog doesn’t include any known issues.

Upon installing the update, users are given generic error messages like 0x8007000d, 0x800f081f, 0x80073701, etc. And now since the update offers some important security features, not being able to install the update is a matter of concern.

Source: MSPowerUser

Good thing I didn't install that update on my laptop since it has been on for 8 days straight. 🤣 But if you already installed it and have no issues then you are lucky.

Now not only many users are reporting that this update fails to install, but few other users who installed it are even facing serious issues like deletion of files from C drive, disabling of microphones, camera & USB ports, defender shutting down and many other issues like slow performance.

Source: TheWinCentral

This update is way worse than I thought, hopefully Microsoft patches everything soon.

It now appears that the most common Blue Screen of Death error messages are:

• PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
  • CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
  • ACPI_BIOS_ERROR
  • INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
  • MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
  • DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
  • Portcls.sys

While some people get BSOD every so often, requiring a PC reboot, others are getting a loop of BSOD errors, where the PC cannot boot without crashing instantly. This effectively makes the PC unusable.

For the moment, the only reliable way to fix the issues introduced with Windows 10 KB4549951 is to uninstall the update. However, we should note that because this update introduces important security fixes, you should only uninstall it if you’re experiencing problems.

If you’ve installed the update and are having issues, follow the steps below to uninstall it:

Open the Settings app (the cog icon in the Start menu) click 'Update & security' and then click on 'Windows Update' in the left-hand menu

Next, click 'View update history'. Click 'Uninstall updates', find KB4549951 in the list of updates, select it, then click to uninstall.

Source: TechRadar

Though the fix isn't really an actual reliable way, since users are having issues trying to rollback or even getting Windows to boot. The best way is to just create a backup image of Windows and just restore it if you are having issues.

hi rainbow dash!!! 

on topic, does it do that update on it's own? all the Windows machines in the house here have auto-updates and stuff on... 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, Twilight said:

hi rainbow dash!!! 

on topic, does it do that update on it's own? all the Windows machines in the house here have auto-updates and stuff on... 

I have my laptop on a manual update schedule, but the update automatically downloads on my laptop it seems. So if you have auto-update off it shouldn't be an issue, my desktop has auto-update off and it hasn't downloaded any update yet. Also, hiii there Twilight!

And that's why I deferred all updates for 7 days in the advanced settings. Because 7 days is usually long enough to let the peasants others test it for me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

First thing I did when I saw the info about the new update in the other thread I paused updates on my machine.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

I have this installed on a basic lenovo with no third party hardware or software (beyond FF), no issues so far.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

56 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Now not only many users are reporting that this update fails to install, but few other users who installed it are even facing serious issues like deletion of files from C drive, disabling of microphones, camera & USB ports, defender shutting down and many other issues like slow performance.

Source: TheWinCentral

This update is way worse than I thought, hopefully Microsoft patches everything soon.

Per the article there are multiple issues outlined, but at least one of them has nothing to do with the KB. Defender crashing was a known issue 3 days ago that was due to a bad AV Engine update. To fix it all you have to do is install the latest definition file. The MS Answer forum links in the article have the fix for this listed three days ago but it would appear the author of the article did not want to actually read through the forum post and check whether there was a solution to the issue, just publish an article to get everyone freaking out.

Relevant 3 day old Article describing the issue:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-defender-broken-by-recent-updates-how-to-fix/

The reported internet speed, program freezing, and system performance are most likely due to Defender crashing in the background and trying to fill up the event logs with failed scan attempts. (Same issues seen when I was testing the issue 3 days ago for work and all went away after correcting the Defender issue)

I have this update running on 6 personal systems and ~300 work systems with no issues. Will be deploying this KB to ~15000 work systems (37 different system models) next week with no concerns.

Not saying there isn't an issue, (MS has had plenty of issues with updates) just that this seems to currently be affecting a small number of systems and many are blaming at least some of their issues on the KB when they are at least only partially unrelated loosely related at best.

18 minutes ago, ZombieStew said:

I have this update running on 6 personal systems and ~300 work systems with no issues. Will be deploying this KB to ~15000 work systems (37 different system models) next week with no concerns.

Not saying there isn't an issue, (MS has had plenty of issues with updates) just that this seems to currently be affecting a small number of systems and many are blaming at least some of their issues on the KB when they are at least only partially unrelated loosely related at best.

I have just checked my desktop and it was updated 3 days ago, no problems so far.  In fact I didn't even realize it had updated. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ah.
Yes.

The old "pay us to continually beta test our live service" problem surfaces yet again.
Honestly, is anyone surprised at this point? Windows 10 is a success because it's Windows, it's a continuous string of failures on it's own merit. I genuinely dread updates, given that more often than not, they cause something to stop functioning properly, sometimes (though significantly more frequently than should ever be considered acceptable) even Windows itself.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

3 minutes ago, Semper said:

Ah.
Yes.

The old "pay us to continually beta test our live service" problem surfaces yet again.
Honestly, is anyone surprised at this point? Windows 10 is a success because it's Windows, it's a continuous string of failures on it's own merit. I genuinely dread updates, given that more often than not, they cause something to stop functioning properly, sometimes (though significantly more frequently than should ever be considered acceptable) even Windows itself.

And how many are there?  Whats the percentage of failures?

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And how many are there?  Whats the percentage of failures?

Substantial enough that more than once, Microsoft has delayed, and ultimately pulled updates for investigation because of critical flaws that hafe affected more than just the "outliers" and "one-offs"
Numbers enough that even Microsoft likely does not have an accurate numerical value to, but has been forced to take notice of.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

3 hours ago, Semper said:

Ah.
Yes.

Yup. Microsoft states that they use Windows Update to beta test updates:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/10/windows-monthly-security-and-quality-updates-overview/

We also release optional updates in the third and fourth weeks of the month, respectively known as “C” and “D” releases. These are validated, production-quality optional releases, primarily for commercial customers and advanced users “seeking” updates. These updates have only non-security fixes. The intent of these releases is to provide visibility into, and enable testing of, the non-security fixes that will be included in the next Update Tuesday release (we make these optional to avoid users being rebooted more than once per month). Advanced users can access the “C” and “D” releases by navigating to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and clicking the “Check for updates” box. The “D” release has proven popular for those “seeking” to validate the non-security content of the next “B” release.

If a person manually searches for new updates in Windows Update, they're receiving experimental patches to literally serve as Microsoft's beta testers.

And Windows 10 Home and Pro are used as test-beds for updates before they're deployed to owners of Enterprise editions of Windows 10:

Windows 10 Servicing Branches (CB, CBB, and LTSB), Semi-Annual Channel

This is the latest version of Windows and is called Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted), this version receives all upgrades (new versions) and updates (patches) from Microsoft within a few days of their release. Semi-Annual Channel(Targeted) is what all home users get and what most small business corporate Pro users will get.

New feature update releases are initially considered as Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) releases: organizations will use these for pilot deployments to ensure compatibility with existing apps and infrastructure. After about four months, the feature update will be declared as Semi-Annual Channel, indicating that it is ready for broad deployment.

Microsoft pulls so many dirty tricks to manipulate, exploit, and abuse Windows owners that I don't know why anybody would keep their PC vulnerable to be updated at Microsoft's discretion. And that's why this is important:

Eleven different ways to disable Windows Update in Windows 10

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, Semper said:

Substantial enough that more than once, Microsoft has delayed, and ultimately pulled updates for investigation because of critical flaws that hafe affected more than just the "outliers" and "one-offs"
Numbers enough that even Microsoft likely does not have an accurate numerical value to, but has been forced to take notice of.

So what was that number again?  I don't see it any where in your post.

And for the love of god how many times does it have to be shown the MS do not use customers as test bunnies for updates, all updates that are pushed out on Tuesday are well past the beta stage,  MS did not fire all it's QC department in favor of the insider program,  this claim that they did has been done and dusted so many times it is becoming a troll comment. 

Here is how MS test their updates:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/10/windows-monthly-security-and-quality-updates-overview/

• Pre-release Validation Program (PVP) flights updates to validate fixes in the current release before they are made available to in-market customers. The goal is to catch problems early by testing what we will ship and shipping exactly what we test.
    • Depth Test Pass (DTP) consists of automated and manual testing targeted at the specific areas where the code has been changed to ensure the reported issue is indeed fixed, no new issues have been introduced as a result of the code change, and there are no regressions.
    • Monthly Test Pass (MTP) utilizes broad suites of regression tests and leverages internal and external testing labs with global coverage that include tens of thousands of diverse devices from PCs to servers to ensure application and hardware compatibility.
    • Windows Insider Program (WIP) flighting of non-security fixes to the Windows Insider Release Preview Ring to obtain feedback and diagnostics at a scale and diversity that mirrors the real-world. We do not flight pre-release security fixes for the upcoming B release to prevent attackers from reverse engineering the security fixes and placing customers at risk.  We use a different quality program to validate security fixes.
    • Security Update Validation Program (SUVP) is an invitation-only program for large commercial customers and ISVs, that enables them to validate the impact of security fixes in their labs prior to the B” release, so that any compatibility issues or regressions with their infrastructure and applications can be identified and remedied. This is a tightly controlled program due to the security issues we are addressing, and only targets the “B” release.
    • Regular compatibility and validation testing with other Microsoft product teams including Azure, Office and SQL Server.

Each update goes through three QC validation process before it even gets the insider program (for non security updates), then after that the update goes through another validation process before being pushed to consumers.   We consumers are not beta testers for the regular Tuesday updates.

Windows updates are never tested in the wild.

7 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Yup. Microsoft states that they use Windows Update to beta test updates:

If a person manually searches for new updates in Windows Update, they're receiving experimental patches to literally serve as Microsoft's beta testers.

Microsoft pulls so many dirty tricks to manipulate and exploit Windows owners that I don't know why anybody would keep their PC vulnerable to be updated at Microsoft's discretion. And that's why this is important:

This! So much this!

Microsoft has effectively externalized costs by test fielding on their customer base. You think workstation level stuff is bad and annoying, wait till you have to administer servers! Their entire QA/QC process is borderline criminal for a PAID PRODUCT! 🤬

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

This! So much this!

Microsoft has effectively externalized costs by test fielding on their customer base. You think workstation level stuff is bad and annoying, wait till you have to administer servers! Their entire QA/QC process is borderline criminal for a PAID PRODUCT! 🤬

no they didn't:

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

• Pre-release Validation Program (PVP) flights updates to validate fixes in the current release before they are made available to in-market customers. The goal is to catch problems early by testing what we will ship and shipping exactly what we test.
    • Depth Test Pass (DTP) consists of automated and manual testing targeted at the specific areas where the code has been changed to ensure the reported issue is indeed fixed, no new issues have been introduced as a result of the code change, and there are no regressions.
    • Monthly Test Pass (MTP) utilizes broad suites of regression tests and leverages internal and external testing labs with global coverage that include tens of thousands of diverse devices from PCs to servers to ensure application and hardware compatibility.
    • Windows Insider Program (WIP) flighting of non-security fixes to the Windows Insider Release Preview Ring to obtain feedback and diagnostics at a scale and diversity that mirrors the real-world. We do not flight pre-release security fixes for the upcoming B release to prevent attackers from reverse engineering the security fixes and placing customers at risk.  We use a different quality program to validate security fixes.
    • Security Update Validation Program (SUVP) is an invitation-only program for large commercial customers and ISVs, that enables them to validate the impact of security fixes in their labs prior to the B” release, so that any compatibility issues or regressions with their infrastructure and applications can be identified and remedied. This is a tightly controlled program due to the security issues we are addressing, and only targets the “B” release.
    • Regular compatibility and validation testing with other Microsoft product teams including Azure, Office and SQL Server.

Each update goes through three QC validation process before it even gets the insider program (for non security updates), then after that the update goes through another validation process before being pushed to consumers.   We consumers are not beta testers for the regular Tuesday updates.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

By virtue of their incompetence and negligence, yeah, yes they are!!!

Ever manage a WSUS server? I have. Did you know that the same KB update can get revised half a dozen times throughout its life? When you perform cleanup on a WSUS server, it purges the older superseded KB updates along with old revisions. Newer revisions of the same KB are not given a new number. That's why it's best to hold off at least a week or two prior to installing updates. Unless it's a critical zero-day exploit that can't be mitigated against by other means.

Just now, StDragon said:

By virtue of their incompetence and negligence, yeah, yes they are!!!

Ever manage a WSUS server? I have. Did you know that the same KB update can get revised half a dozen times throughout its life? When you perform cleanup on a WSUS server, it purges the older superseded KB updates along with old revisions. Newer revisions of the same KB are not given a new number. That's why it's best to hold off at least a week or two prior to installing updates. Unless it's a critical zero-day exploit that can't be mitigated against by other means.

pointing to an imperfect outcome does not make it incompetence or laziness or any form of outsourcing failure.

Every product ever made has issues, there is always a failure rate, does that mean every product relies on consumers to be their QC?,  of course not. it is an incredibly stupid business practice.  About the only industry it works in is gaming because stupid kids keep handing over their money for unfinished products.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

it is an incredibly stupid business practice.

Not its not. Why would you ever think that? Microsoft is "To Big to Fail". It's a blessing they even do QAQC and not pawn that off too. 

Cost externalizing. Understand it.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:
10 minutes ago, StDragon said:

This! So much this!

no they didn't:

Not 100%. But it's no secret that Microsoft has deliberately offloaded a large part of the testing of their updates onto Windows owners through the Insider program and also onto non-Insider-Program Windows users.

Why did Microsoft lay off 'Programmatic testers'?

but one victim group appears to have been the dedicated programmatic testers in the Operating Systems Group (OSG), as OSG is following Bing's lead and moving to a combined engineering approach. Prior to these cuts, Testing/QA staff was in some parts of the company outnumbering developers by about two to one. Afterward, the ratio was closer to one to one. As a precursor to these layoffs and the shifting roles of development and testing, the OSG renamed its test team to "Quality."

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

So what was that number again?  I don't see it any where in your post.

And for the love of god how many times does it have to be shown the MS do not use customers as test bunnies for updates, all updates that are pushed out on Tuesday are well past the beta stage,  MS did not fire all it's QC department in favor of the insider program,  this claim that they did has been done and dusted so many times it is becoming a troll comment. 

•  

Why don't you provide me with a number of updates that have gone successfully? If you're so certain that Windows 10, on it's own merit, has not continually had substantial flaws in multiple updates, surely you're able to quantify exactly how many there are.

Jackass lane goes two ways. If you're not capable of seeing that, if any non-behemoth OS has the number of issues that Windows 10 has, it would cease to exist and/or fail to grow as not riding the success of daddy's coat tails, then there's nothing more to be said here.

If you're willing to take what MS says as wholly true, that's on you. I know I'm not alone in knowing that 1809 took my C drive for open season, 1903 to fail updating itself and, once again, take my C drive out to pasture, or the number of times that Microsoft has "fixed" search only to cause it to completely stop functioning and/or cause the start menu (and subsequently, explorer) to be remarkably unresponsive and/or flat-out stop working, just to name a few of the first-hand experiences that have been wide spread enough to actively delay releases for extended periods of time, is not a product that is wholly QC tested internally.

At no point did I say that you had to hate Windows 10, Microsoft, or any other entity. You seem to have taken the stance that, objectively, Windows 10 has and will continue to fail to be a stable environment, and my statement that on it's own merit, Windows 10 is a failure, as a personal attack against your hubris.

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

Not its not. Why would you ever think that? Microsoft is "To Big to Fail". It's a blessing they even do QAQC and not pawn that off too. 

Cost externalizing. Understand it.

Except they did not change the number or size of their QC.  Like the other poster, maybe you should find some numbers to support your claims before conceiving people of them.

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Not 100%. But it's no secret that Microsoft has deliberately offloaded a large part of the testing of their updates onto Windows owners through the Insider program and also onto non-Insider-Program Windows users.

Why did Microsoft lay off 'Programmatic testers'?

Your entire arguments rest on the misrepresentation of data by a sensationalist media.  MS did not reduce the QC department, they simply shifted some of the QC to devops.  Like it or not, care about the term,  I don't care.  The reality is Natya has sacked a lot of people because the company was bloated and inefficient,  the QC department did not shrink, most of the people sacked were from middle management and defunct departments like Nokia.

So,  again.  IF someone is going to make blanket statements and repeat these tired old internet tropes could they at least provide some sort of evidence.

if updates are worse, then show me figures, otherwise your just living in an echo chamber repeating other peoples problems.

If QC has been shrunk or outsourced to customers then provide me something that actually shows those jobs have gone.

Don;t post links to article stalking about massive layoffs and then assume which jobs actually went.

And don;t bother linking me to nergasm, While I don;t personally have an issue with him as a human, the reality is he is an ex employee that makes his dough from telling people things.

3 minutes ago, Semper said:

Why don't you provide me with a number of updates that have gone successfully? If you're so certain that Windows 10, on it's own merit, has not continually had substantial flaws in multiple updates, surely you're able to quantify exactly how many there are.

Jackass lane goes two ways. If you're not capable of seeing that, if any non-behemoth OS has the number of issues that Windows 10 has, it would cease to exist and/or fail to grow as not riding the success of daddy's coat tails, then there's nothing more to be said here.

If you're willing to take what MS says as wholly true, that's on you. I know I'm not alone in knowing that 1809 took my C drive for open season, 1903 to fail updating itself and, once again, take my C drive out to pasture, or the number of times that Microsoft has "fixed" search only to cause it to completely stop functioning and/or cause the start menu (and subsequently, explorer) to be remarkably unresponsive and/or flat-out stop working, just to name a few of the first-hand experiences that have been wide spread enough to actively delay releases for extended periods of time, is not a product that is wholly QC tested internally.

At no point did I say that you had to hate Windows 10, Microsoft, or any other entity. You seem to have taken the stance that, objectively, Windows 10 has and will continue to fail to be a stable environment, and my statement that on it's own merit, Windows 10 is a failure, as a personal attack against your hubris.

Burden of proof is one the one making the claims.    You can't make an assumption then ask me to prove it wrong, you prove it right.

BTW, just to be perfectly clear: I'm not bashing on Microsoft specifically. There's been quality rot all over the software industry. Lately Apple has been slacking pretty bad too; both in OSX updates and hardware design.

Pride in one's work? Pride is but a paycheck away. 

3 minutes ago, StDragon said:

BTW, just to be perfectly clear: I'm not bashing on Microsoft specifically. There's been quality rot all over the software industry. Lately Apple has been slacking pretty bad too; both in OSX updates and hardware design.

Pride in one's work? Pride is but a paycheck away. 

You are dead right that apple is the same, so is google with android and chrome.  But they are not all getting worse, they have always been like that.   The reason I single out games is because games used to be released finished,  no such thing as day zero updates.   Where the OS differs from games and other products like that is that they have to keep updating and changing in order to support everything else.   Especially in these days with constant online threats, hardware changes and updates, 3rd party drivers and security requirements.  It never ends.

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Except they did not change the number or size of their QC.  Like the other poster, maybe you should find some numbers to support your claims before conceiving people of them.

Your entire arguments rest on the misrepresentation of data by a sensationalist media.  MS did not reduce the QC department, they simply shifted some of the QC to devops.  Like it or not, care about the term,  I don't care.  The reality is Natya has sacked a lot of people because the company was bloated and inefficient,  the QC department did not shrink, most of the people sacked were from middle management and defunct departments like Nokia.

Huh? Microsoft state they're testing patches through the Insider program and through regular Windows Update patches, just like they state they've laid off a huge number of OS programmatic testers. And offloading testing onto developers doesn't accomplish the same thoroughness of testing as having dedicated testers.

So,  again.  IF someone is going to make blanket statements and repeat these tired old internet tropes could they at least provide some sort of evidence.

if updates are worse, then show me figures, otherwise your just living in an echo chamber repeating other peoples problems.

If QC has been shrunk or outsourced to customers then provide me something that actually shows those jobs have gone.

Don;t post links to article stalking about massive layoffs and then assume which jobs actually went.

It doesn't have to be assumed because it's stated: "Prior to these cuts, Testing/QA staff was in some parts of the company outnumbering developers by about two to one. Afterward, the ratio was closer to one to one. As a precursor to these layoffs and the shifting roles of development and testing, the OSG renamed its test team to "Quality." "

And: "The intent of these releases is to provide visibility into, and enable testing of, the non-security fixes that will be included in the next Update Tuesday release"

And other statements clarifying that Microsoft is out-sourcing testing to unpaid Windows owners, including the existence of the Insider program.

As for where the testing jobs went: "For those of you whose jobs are impacted by this, I want to thank you for your contribution to Microsoft and our customers, and wish you the best."

As for whether the quality of Windows updates has degraded... of course it has. And here are some select examples of the never-ending nightmare that has been Windows 10's updates:

January 2016: Windows 10 default programs keep changing

June 2016: Microsoft June Patch Breaks Group Policy Settings for Some Orgs

August 2016: 16 Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues & How to Fix Them

August 2016: Microsoft admits to distributing Windows printing bugs in KB 3177725 and KB 3176493

August 2016: Partition disappears in Windows 10 Anniversary Update

August 2016: Microsoft Warns Windows 10 Update Has A Serious Problem

August 2016: Kindle crashes and broken PowerShell: Something isn’t right with Windows 10 testing

August 2016: Microsoft Has Broken Millions Of Webcams With Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Oct 2016: Flood of reports from people unable to install latest Windows update, resulting in an endless loop of repeated attempts

January 2018: Windows 10 will not start/boot after windows update

March 2018: Total Meltdown?

October 2018: Microsoft's latest Windows 10 update is reportedly wiping user data

October 2018: New Windows 10 1809 bug: Zip data-loss flaw is months old but Microsoft missed it

October 2018: HP users report BSOD after Tuesday patch

November 2018: Hold off installing re-released Windows Oct Update - networked-mapped drives not working, display driver problems

November 2018: Microsoft Blocks Windows 10 Version 1809 on Some PCs Due to Bad Intel Drivers

November 2018: Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 will be patched on Tuesday

November 2018: Re-released Windows 10 October 2018 Update breaks Apple iCloud

November 2018: Et tu, Office? After pulling Windows 10 update, Microsoft does the same for Office

November 2018: Latest Windows 10 update breaks Windows Media Player, Win32 apps in general

December 2018: Microsoft pulls Windows 10’s optional November update following BSOD reports

March 2019: Latest Windows 10 Update Kills Performance in Some Games

And on, and on, and on...