Alternative for Thunderbolt 3?

BaruBakedQue21

I have ask some communities if the ROG B-450 Gaming F Motherboard supports Thunderbolt 3 and my research reached to a conclusion that I need a Thunderbolt 3 header in my motherboard and that sucks my motherboard doesn't have such a thing.So here is my question are there any alternative for Thunderbolt 3? the reason I need Thunderbolt 3 is that so I could connect all of my wires to one hub that includes monitor,keyboard,mouse,external drive,Etc.. I just need a Hub to connect all of my stuff.

you might say why not connect it all to you PC? answer is I try to cable manage my wires the thing is there are rats nibbling my wires so I planned to put my PC in a cabinet with ample airflow of course and I want a easy way to plug and unplug some stuff if I need to (just like Linus's Setup).

17 minutes ago, BaruBakedQue21 said:

I have ask some communities if the ROG B-450 Gaming F Motherboard supports Thunderbolt 3 and my research reached to a conclusion that I need a Thunderbolt 3 header in my motherboard and that sucks my motherboard doesn't have such a thing.So here is my question are there any alternative for Thunderbolt 3? the reason I need Thunderbolt 3 is that so I could connect all of my wires to one hub that includes monitor,keyboard,mouse,external drive,Etc.. I just need a Hub to connect all of my stuff.

you might say why not connect it all to you PC? answer is I try to cable manage my wires the thing is there are rats nibbling my wires so I planned to put my PC in a cabinet with ample airflow of course and I want a easy way to plug and unplug some stuff if I need to (just like Linus's Setup).

I think they make Thunderbolt 3 PCI cards. Never used them myself but might be worth looking into.

Just now, Catsrules said:

I think they make Thunderbolt 3 PCI cards. Never used them myself but might be worth looking into.

I tried to to that but they all need a TB3 header for it to work.

5 minutes ago, BaruBakedQue21 said:

I tried to to that but they all need a TB3 header for it to work.

Ahh, darn it.

Maybe USB 3.1 would work. I know it can handle video and there are alot of hubs for this. But I don't know how that works on the back end. If I can pass the video from your video card through the USB 3.1 port?  (basically having nothing plugged into the video card.)

That I don't know. 

6 hours ago, Catsrules said:

Ahh, darn it.

Maybe USB 3.1 would work. I know it can handle video and there are alot of hubs for this. But I don't know how that works on the back end. If I can pass the video from your video card through the USB 3.1 port?  (basically having nothing plugged into the video card.)

That I don't know. 

dont know where to start finding such hub. :(

13 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I don't actually know how well it works, but this may be what you're looking for: https://www.sabrent.com/product/DS-WSPD/usb-type-c-dual-4k-universal-docking-station-with-usb-c-power-delivery/

Do I need 2 USB Type-C? It doesn't clearly say how I connect this to my tower. and btw its honor that you replied to me ❤️ .

8 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

also, you might want to adress the rat problem.

yeah I do need to resolve that but hey it means I need to do my cable management sooner or later.

One of the pictures certainly only has 1 input from the laptop.

image.png.33b025ada95d89f7234210daf787f8b4.png

7 hours ago, IntMD said:

One of the pictures certainly only has 1 input from the laptop.

image.png.33b025ada95d89f7234210daf787f8b4.png

now that you think about it.

8 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Looks like it's just one input. I haven't used it personally though. Your best bet is to contact their support.

I see,Do you think the USB 3.1 Gen 1 spec is enough for display,peripherals and external storage use? (I'm a power user when it comes to external storage don't plan to make a NAS yet)

1 hour ago, BaruBakedQue21 said:

I see,Do you think the USB 3.1 Gen 1 spec is enough for display,peripherals and external storage use? (I'm a power user when it comes to external storage don't plan to make a NAS yet)

Gen 1 is limited to 5 Gbps. It will be close and probably come down to what resolution and Refresh rate your outputting to the monitor. 

Wikipedia has a nice layout of Data Rates (non HDR).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_standard_video

1080p 60 uses about 3.20 Gbps leaving 1.8Gbps available bandwidth. (Note there might be over head just going over USB I don't know.) Mouse and keyboard are so small it doesn't matter. That leaves External. If your External drive is a hard drive I don't see it max out that connection. But if the external is an SSD that would definitely be slowed down. And if you start adding web cameras and networking into the mix. It is getting close.

This could be why they added another USB-C Input So you can run half of the things on one port and the other half on the other. But that is a guess on my part.

9 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Gen 1 is limited to 5 Gbps. It will be close and probably come down to what resolution and Refresh rate your outputting to the monitor. 

Wikipedia has a nice layout of Data Rates (non HDR).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_standard_video

1080p 60 uses about 3.20 Gbps leaving 1.8Gbps available bandwidth. (Note there might be over head just going over USB I don't know.) Mouse and keyboard are so small it doesn't matter. the leaves External. If your External drive is a hard drive I don't see it max out that connection. But if the external is an SSD that would definitely be slowed down.

This could be why they added another USB-C Input So you can run half of the things on one port and the other half on the other. But that is a guess on my part.

I'm still not sure if they have 2 inputs there are no reviews on YT yet so I cant tell if they have 2 inputs :<. and also im rocking a 1080p 144hz monitor so the 5gbs specs is not enough for me.

2 minutes ago, BaruBakedQue21 said:

I'm still not sure if they have 2 inputs there are no reviews on YT yet so I cant tell if they have 2 inputs :<. and also im rocking a 1080p 144hz monitor so the 5gbs specs is not enough for me.

Oh it looks like it is only one port that your computer connect too. Those two "input" ports and just Type-C ports you can plug other devices into for your computer to access.

See user manual

https://www.sabrent.com/download/ds-wspd-user-manual/

11 minutes ago, BaruBakedQue21 said:

im rocking a 1080p 144hz monitor so the 5gbs specs is not enough for me.

How about upgrading to Gen 2? 10Gbps should be barely enough

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-model-rc-509-pci-express-to-usb-card/p/N82E16815166039?Description=pci usb 3 gen 2&cm_re=pci_usb_3_gen_2-_-15-166-039-_-Product

Edit

This is literately the first PCI card I found so there is probably a better one lol