Antec DP501 RGB

Hi guys, I've recently built my first PC using the Antec DP501 white case and the ROG strix b450-f gaming motherboard. The build works perfectly and I'm so happy with it considering its my first time building a pc. But I have one problem, the case has rgb on it but the connector it comes with only has 3 pins, whereas the motherboard only has rgb headers with 4 pins. If anyone can help me or point me in the new direction as I'm a huge noob I'd greatly appreciate it! :D thanks in advance. 

23 minutes ago, Penguinman56 said:

Hi guys, I've recently built my first PC using the Antec DP501 white case and the ROG strix b450-f gaming motherboard. The build works perfectly and I'm so happy with it considering its my first time building a pc. But I have one problem, the case has rgb on it but the connector it comes with only has 3 pins, whereas the motherboard only has rgb headers with 4 pins. If anyone can help me or point me in the new direction as I'm a huge noob I'd greatly appreciate it! :D thanks in advance. 

Heh.  Proprietary pin horror is standard with RGB.  What I find most irritating about the whole thing myself is it’s basically just a scam by the manufacturers to create fake proprietary systems to force you to buy their products.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

59 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh.  Proprietary pin horror is standard with RGB.  What I find most irritating about the whole thing myself is it’s basically just a scam by the manufacturers to create fake proprietary systems to force you to buy their products.

The three pin RGB on this case is a standard pin. There's jsut one thing missing from OP's description....

1 hour ago, Penguinman56 said:

If anyone can help me or point me in the new direction as I'm a huge noob I'd greatly appreciate it! :D thanks in advance. 

It's actually an ARGB (addressible RGB, which uses only 3 pins) which is different from regular RGB (4 pins on your motherboard). 

image.thumb.png.7847a2e8dcd4145adb0c6157903cb0fd.png

They cannot be interchanged. You need to use either a motherboard that has an ARGB header, or use a separate controller to control the ARGB. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the info!
Just a tiny bit of question on the argb hub of Antec DP501. Can I plug a LED/non-LED 3 pin fan to the ARGB hub of the case?

On 4/8/2020 at 10:29 AM, TVwazhere said:

The three pin RGB on this case is a standard pin. There's jsut one thing missing from OP's description....

It's actually an ARGB (addressible RGB, which uses only 3 pins) which is different from regular RGB (4 pins on your motherboard). 

image.thumb.png.7847a2e8dcd4145adb0c6157903cb0fd.png

They cannot be interchanged. You need to use either a motherboard that has an ARGB header, or use a separate controller to control the ARGB. 

This is what I was saying.  Proprietary pin horror. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Kamoko said:

Thanks for the info!
Just a tiny bit of question on the argb hub of Antec DP501. Can I plug a LED/non-LED 3 pin fan to the ARGB hub of the case?

Fans do not plug into the RGB controller. They are their own separate plug in most instances. You would either plug them into a motherboard, fan header spliter or a seperate fan hub that you supply. 

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This is what I was saying.  Proprietary pin horror. 

...................Except.......... It's not proprietary. its just addressable 5v vs normal 12v. 

image.thumb.png.d743dbc42bb7ee7cd93d4e9d52c39796.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

41 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Fans do not plug into the RGB controller. They are their own separate plug in most instances. You would either plug them into a motherboard, fan header spliter or a seperate fan hub that you supply. 

...................Except.......... It's not proprietary. its just addressable 5v vs normal 12v. 

image.thumb.png.d743dbc42bb7ee7cd93d4e9d52c39796.png

So why does the motherboard have an incompatible port?

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So why does the motherboard have an incompatible port?

Because the motherboards has a 4 pin (analoug) 12v header. Which is RGB. Normal RGB. The type that all LED's can only glow one color. 

The fans used are 3 pin (digital) 5v headers; the wires carry completely different signals for this. The 3 pin headers shown in the picture are also a universal standard for the type of signal it carries. You can find them on many boards; the B450-F Strix just only comes with two 4 pin 12v RGB headers because that's all ASUS chose to put on it. 

Now if you were to complain about someone like Corsair's plugs which basically switch around a wire or two to render them incompatible with most headers, or completely proprietary connectors (that actually combine fan header and RGB header into one plug) that are found on Thermaltake, Deepcool and Lian Li, then your argument of "fake proprietary systems to force you to buy their products" would be more valid.

So my issue is there are two general types of colored fans argb and rgb.  Rgb has proprietary stuff in some ysutems, but argb has no proprietary connections?  Different proprietary connections? And the problem was I was considering argb simply yet another proprietary version of rgb. This would mean that IF argb is offered buy multiple vendors AND those vendors have gone to a single standard THEN there are actually two types of rgb.  “Regular” rgb which seems to continue to have at least some proprietary port problems, and argb which doesn’t. HOWEVER if argb still has the same proprietary port issues as “regular” rgb, it’s simply a further complication to an already obnoxious mess, and it’s all still just RGB, merely with another layer of BS to complicate things.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

So my issue is there are two general types of colored fans argb and rgb.  Rgb has proprietary stuff in some ysutems, but argb has no proprietary connections?  Different proprietary connections?

There are proprietary implementations of both RGB and ARGB.

Neither of them is relevant here because the case uses standard 3-pin 5v ARGB and the motherboard only accommodates standard 4-pin 12v RGB

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

38 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

There are proprietary implementations of both RGB and ARGB.

Neither of them is relevant here because the case uses standard 3-pin 5v ARGB and the motherboard only accommodates standard 4-pin 12v RGB

So rgb and argb may both be considered proprietary versions of the same thing.  It’s still all just proprietary blinky lights.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So rgb and argb may both be considered proprietary versions of the same thing.  It’s still all just proprietary blinky lights.

You continue to miss the point...

If you aren't going to contribute anything of relevance to the topic, don't post just to inflate your already ridiculous post count.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Not necessarily the same thing. Both protocols offer shiny blinky lights and yes there are plenty of proprietary connectors for each brand's iteration. 

But, there is a also a distinct difference between +5V ARGB (addressable RGB) and +12V RGB (non-addressable). It's the difference of whether each single LED can be programmable (ARGB) or all LEDs of the fan/strip/etc. have to shift colors together.

Standardizing connectors in this industry is probably impossible.

Relevant xkcd: https://xkcd.com/927/

34 minutes ago, DeepCool Alan said:

Not necessarily the same thing. Both protocols offer shiny blinky lights and yes there are plenty of proprietary connectors for each brand's iteration. 

But, there is a also a distinct difference between +5V ARGB (addressable RGB) and +12V RGB (non-addressable). It's the difference of whether each single LED can be programmable (ARGB) or all LEDs of the fan/strip/etc. have to shift colors together.

Standardizing connectors in this industry is probably impossible.

Relevant xkcd: https://xkcd.com/927/

It would technically be undestandardization because once upon a time there actually was (and still is though they try to pretend there isn’t) a standard developed by the companies that actually make the light bulbs.  I take your point though.  Argb may be different though I strongly suspect it isn’t.