AMD... you're testing my love. (0 RPM Fan speed)

So, is it just my install of Adrenalin 2020 being weird or botched some how, or does it turn everyone else's fans off until around 65c as well? Then turn right back off when the temp gets down to about 55c... where it then just creeps back up to 65c, then fans and noise, and back down to 55c...Even with MSI Afterburner running on start up, my GPU will sit and idle up to 50c, because the fans just don't turn on. My fan curve is set in MSI, but still zero RPMs. Here is the weird thing. When I go into Adrenalin 2020 and set the fan curve... well first of all, it NEVER saves the curve and just sets it back to a flat line, but, suddenly, NOW the MSI curve is working, and my GPU idles down to 34c like it's supposed to.

So I guess my question is... why does my Adrenalin 2020 (20.3.X and 20.4.X) keep disabling my fan until I go in, and set it to manual tuning? Because then I turn manual tuning right back off, and the MSI fan curve stays in effect. Leaving the fans in manual mode doesn't work for start-up either. Is silence THAT important that they will let their software just shut fans off for the sake of lower DB? I love AMD... but man, stuff like this that should have been, and stayed fixed a long time ago really puts that to the test sometimes.

If anyone knows how to train their Adrenalin 2020 to turn the GPU fans on at start up, that would be great. Otherwise I guess I will just check for a new driver update next month. That's all I want. for my GPU to idle at 34c with my fans spinning like they are supposed to.

TBH in my experience i used to just use external tuning such as MSI afterburner to set a manual curve but I don't own an AMD card anymore so I cant validate that but its a shot in the dark.

| CPURyzen 7 3700X & 2xE5-2680 V2 | Motherboard - Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi & Dell Poweredge R720 | 

| RAM - G SKill Hyper X 32 GB & 320GB ECC DDR3 | GPU - RTX 2080 Super W/ Block GTX 1060 6GB (R720) | Case - Metallic Gear Neo Qube (basically an O11D) | Storage - 2TB NVME + 8TB Unraid | PSU - Corsair RM650X Gold | Display - Samsung CHG90 49" | Cooling - Hardline EK CPU and GPU with 3x120 Rad | Operating System - Windows 10 Pro (PC) & Unraid (R720) |

You never said which card you have?

I have a custom curve set on saved profile in Adrenalin that applies automatically when i start my PC. I'm still on the latest recommended driver 20.2.2

MSI Afterburner and Wattman have a history of not working together, best to stick to one or the other.

7 minutes ago, im_cheap said:

TBH in my experience i used to just use external tuning such as MSI afterburner to set a manual curve but I don't own an AMD card anymore so I cant validate that but its a shot in the dark.

i DO use MSI afterburner. I said that in my post. But the fan curve I have set there, will not take effect, until i turn on Adrenalin manual fan tuning, then turn it back off.

Just now, Ozz said:

i DO use MSI afterburner. I said that in my post. But the fan curve I have set there, will not take effect, until i turn on Adrenalin manual fan tuning, then turn it back off.

Ah i see, then i just didnt read well, If thats the I would roll back your drivers and see if the behavior persists and id double down on glenalz recommendation to stick to one or the other. If the behavior does not persist with a rollback all I can say is that AMDs incompetence with drivers is infuriating...

| CPURyzen 7 3700X & 2xE5-2680 V2 | Motherboard - Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi & Dell Poweredge R720 | 

| RAM - G SKill Hyper X 32 GB & 320GB ECC DDR3 | GPU - RTX 2080 Super W/ Block GTX 1060 6GB (R720) | Case - Metallic Gear Neo Qube (basically an O11D) | Storage - 2TB NVME + 8TB Unraid | PSU - Corsair RM650X Gold | Display - Samsung CHG90 49" | Cooling - Hardline EK CPU and GPU with 3x120 Rad | Operating System - Windows 10 Pro (PC) & Unraid (R720) |

1 minute ago, glenalz81 said:

You never said which card you have?

I have a custom curve set on saved profile in Adrenalin that applies automatically when i start my PC. I'm still on the latest recommended driver 20.2.2

MSI Afterburner and Wattman have a history of not working together, best to stick to one or the other.

my bad, PowerColor 5700.

and I know they have a history of not working well together, but for a few months, everything worked fine. was it so wrong to hope for it to last?

I don't know why you would want fans running at 55-65 degrees ... the card can work just fine at 80c .. at 65c it basically doesn't need fans, the heatsink alone is enough of a buffer to give time for fans to spin if needed.

you probably knew that but I'll ask anyway ... did you disable the zero rpm mode in wattman ? 

609354752_ZeroRPM.png.87995d8cf07c087876c287660ae45de7.png

I have an rx 590 so it's totally not the same card and maybe it's a leftover bug for your card.  Also I'm on 20.1.3 of the drivers and I don't have afterburner installed.  If I ever try to overclock I'll just use wattman cause I didn't get good results previously with afterburner and I also try to keep my system the lightest possible since it's kinda old and not that powerful. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD