ASUS GTX 680 died while not in use?

Edgar R. Zakarian

So It was in my main PC. 
In order to try out some games on Intel HD i disabled the 680 in device manager for a few days. (Didn't take it out)

So when the testing was over and I decided to switch over the GTX 680, it was not there in device manager.

So I went into Bios, set Intergrated graphics settings to PEG, but no signal. So i put the cable back into the motherboard and what I found out, was that the 680 still wasn't detected in device manager.

So I tried the 680 in my girlfriends PC, still no detection in device manager (It's never been in her PC before). Can anybody explain how or why it could've died so hard that it doesn't even detect in a PC?

We're both running the latest versions of Windows 10. 1909 something something.

• PEG = PCI Express Graphics, aka your R9 graphics card

• IGD = Integrated Graphics Device, aka your iGPU on the CPU

Photo from google, but it's the exact same card.

Billedresultat for GTX 680 asus

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

8 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

So It was in my main PC. 
In order to try out some games on Intel HD i disabled the 680 in device manager for a few days. (Didn't take it out)

So when the testing was over and I decided to switch over the GTX 680, it was not there in device manager.

So I went into Bios, set Intergrated graphics settings to PEG, but no signal. So i put the cable back into the motherboard and what I found out, was that the 680 still wasn't detected in device manager.

So I tried the 680 in my girlfriends PC, still no detection in device manager (It's never been in her PC before). Can anybody explain how or why it could've died so hard that it doesn't even detect in a PC?

We're both running the latest versions of Windows 10. 1909 something something.

• PEG = PCI Express Graphics, aka your R9 graphics card

• IGD = Integrated Graphics Device, aka your iGPU on the CPU

Photo from google, but it's the exact same card.

Billedresultat for GTX 680 asus

When you “disabled the 680 in device manager for a few days” is it possible you disabled the device? Maybe you have to reenable it for it to detect it? Just a thought.

Edit: Do you know if the fan starts spinning when it’s plugged in? Even if it’s not detected.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

you are plugged into the GPU ?

with the onboard DDU all the drives and reinstall the card.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

When you “disabled the 680 in device manager for a few days” is it possible you disabled the device? Maybe you have to reenable it for it to detect it? Just a thought.

Edit: Do you know if the fan starts spinning when it’s plugged in? Even if it’s not detected.

I did indeed disable the device in the device manager. That's why when I went into the device manager again to enable it, I found out that it wasn't there! Not detected.

The fan does indeed spin, but it's like there is no connection between it and the motherboard at all. 
And as I mentioned, I tried it in my GF's PC to ensure it wasn't a bios/software problem. Still same results, fan spins, no signal or detection in device manager.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

1 minute ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

I did indeed disable the device in the device manager. That's why when I went into the device manager again to enable it, I found out that it wasn't there! Not detected.

The fan does indeed spin, but it's like there is no connection between it and the motherboard at all. 
And as I mentioned, I tried it in my GF's PC to ensure it wasn't a bios/software problem. Still same results, fan spins, no signal or detection in device manager.

If the fan is spinning it gives me a hunch that the card is indeed still working. I don’t think it’s “dead”. There’s got to be some way to reenable it. Have you tried scanning for new hardware? ? 

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

you are plugged into the GPU ?

with the onboard DDU all the drives and reinstall the card.

Yes I had my DVI cable plugged into the 680 -> No signal

Plugged it back into Mobo - > Signal, no 680 deteced in device manager.

Nomatter what setting I put the bios on. even tried to reset cmos, remove battery etc. didn't help.

Did that, didn't help. Card still didn't show up on device manager. 
Trying to install the Geforce drivers I get an error "No compatible Nvidia card detected" or something like that. :/ 
So it's really like it's DEAD dead. Which is super weird considering I wasn't even using it and it worked perfectly fine just before running on intel hd.

Just now, GamerBlake said:

If the fan is spinning it gives me a hunch that the card is indeed still working. I don’t think it’s “dead”. There’s got to be some way to reenable it. Have you tried scanning for new hardware? ? 

Yap did that. 
Also please remember that I tried it out in another PC with the same result. So pretty sure it's not my PC that's the problem.

Yap did that. 
Also please remember that I tried it out in another PC with the same result. So pretty sure it's not my PC that's the problem.

I found this article and think it might help.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.alphr.com/graphics-cards/1000333/how-to-fix-a-disabled-graphics-card-on-a-laptop-or-pc-reset-your-graphics%3famp

Just now, GamerBlake said:

As i mentioned earlier: 

"Yes I had my DVI cable plugged into the 680 -> No signal

Nomatter what setting I put the bios on. even tried to reset cmos, remove battery etc. didn't help."

Tried it, didn't work. And that would only work if it's a setting on your PC that has disabled the card.
As I mentioned the card does the same thing on another PC. It's not like a GPU can remember that it was disabled in device manager. 

That's stored in your own PC right? Windows/Bios settings.

As i mentioned earlier: 

"Yes I had my DVI cable plugged into the 680 -> No signal

Nomatter what setting I put the bios on. even tried to reset cmos, remove battery etc. didn't help."

Tried it, didn't work. And that would only work if it's a setting on your PC that has disabled the card.
As I mentioned the card does the same thing on another PC. It's not like a GPU can remember that it was disabled in device manager. 

That's stored in your own PC right? Windows/Bios settings.

That’s the thing I’m not sure if it’s on the PC or on the GPU side. The GPU can store data and settings too.

Honestly I’m not an expert or anything I’m just trying to help. ??‍♂️ 

27 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

As I mentioned the card does the same thing on another PC.

It sounds like you tried everything basic, like reseating it a couple of times, cleaning the contacts (?) and even reset the bios and so on. I assume your gfs PSU has enough power for a 680 right, so it is probably dead then. I'm not an expert at all, so I can't help you with your initial question, but it does seem odd that it would break while you are not even using it, usually cards overheat or something when they break right? Since it is a fairly old card maybe play around with it and flash a new vbios on it? I found a used 680 for 35€ btw if it's of any consolation to you. good luck

3 hours ago, merco said:

It sounds like you tried everything basic, like reseating it a couple of times, cleaning the contacts (?) and even reset the bios and so on. I assume your gfs PSU has enough power for a 680 right, so it is probably dead then. I'm not an expert at all, so I can't help you with your initial question, but it does seem odd that it would break while you are not even using it, usually cards overheat or something when they break right? Since it is a fairly old card maybe play around with it and flash a new vbios on it? I found a used 680 for 35€ btw if it's of any consolation to you. good luck

Thanks a lot for your reply. 
Yeah i pretty much tried anything. Not sure if it's possible to flash a bios on to an undetected card. 
I have tried cleaning the contacts and they are shinning gold, so really no dirt or anything there. The PSU of my gf's pc is 550W and it has previously run powerful cards, so no issue there.
Yeah it's not like that old card dying will destroy my world xD by it's certantly annoying as it was a daily driver and "good enough" for 1080p gaming. 
So I've basically swapped back to HD 7770 which is the new daily driver xD 

So in conclusion, seems like the old 680 is going in the bin.

4 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Not sure if it's possible to flash a bios on to an undetected card.

Oh I actually never did it before but that might be true, I guess you could maybe bake it in the oven? heard about that somewhere :D

17 minutes ago, merco said:

Oh I actually never did it before but that might be true, I guess you could maybe bake it in the oven? heard about that somewhere :D

Yeah thought that too. 
I've done that a few times, works with cards that are crashing or showing artifacts, but never done it with one that isn't detected at all.

6 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

Spinning fans on a card that's dead is common to see so it means basically nothing to that end.

Hardware CAN die from just sitting around, if not all the boards I've lost that were working when put up but refused to work the next time I hooked them up would be alive today.

It's possible the OP could have zapped it with static electricity while working on the machine and didn't know it, common thing with this stuff with commonly lethal results.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

Double post - Browser issue.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.