Choosing a PSU for heavy use

Newbie0

Hi all,

It’s been a few years since I completed my build.  But sadly I had to RMA my V750(burnt cables). So now I’ve to choose a new one. 

So far I’ve narrowed down my choices to 4 PSUs. 

SEASONIC PX 750

Be-Quiet Straight Power 11(5 year warranty)

Corsair RM750x

CM V750(2019)

In these PSUs (almost) all of them has a 10 year warranty. One of them is even Platinum PSU(Seasonic). 

I’ve a bit experience about CM support & they were great for me. I don’t know about others though. 

[My system will be running for around 18/7 for heavy gaming.]

So which one should I choose from these?

Thanks all. 

Edit:

System specs:

R5 1600x

2x Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4gb

MSI Tomahawk B350

WD Green 128gb SSD

Toshiba 1 TB HDD

Toshiba 500GB HDD

2 minutes ago, Newbie0 said:

Hi all,

It’s been a few years since I completed my build.  But sadly I had to RMA my V750(burnt cables). So now I’ve to choose a new one. 

SEASONIC PX 750

Be-Quiet Straight Power 11

Corsair RM750x

CM V750(2019)

In these PSUs all of them has a 10 year warranty. One of them is even Platinum PSU(Seasonic). 

I’ve a bit experience about CM support & they were great for me. I don’t know about others though. 

Thanks all

Seasonic is the top of the line in PSU's

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Specs on the system it's to be used with would be most helpful here.

It's hard to suggest something for a setup you don't know anything about.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

corsair's warranty support is remarkable, and their RMX units are pretty outstanding overall. 

although I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of these selections

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Newbie0 said:

Hi all,

SEASONIC PX 750

Be-Quiet Straight Power 11

Corsair RM750x

CM V750(2019)

In these PSUs all of them has a 10 year warranty. One of them is even Platinum PSU(Seasonic). 

Thanks all

I would go for a Be Quiet Straight Power 11.

Excellent quiet PSU.

I feel like it's a step above the others, which are about as good as each other.

Of course knowing you system specs will help in accurately estimating what would be your best option.

4 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Seasonic is the top of the line in PSU's

This is the halo effect. Just because a certain brand has made excellent products, doesn't mean their products are always excellent.

Unless your comment was saying "This specific Seasonic PSU is the best out of the bunch", which I did not get that impression from your post.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

This is the halo effect. Just because a certain brand has made excellent products, doesn't mean their products are always excellent.

Unless your comment was saying "This specific Seasonic PSU is the best out of the bunch", which I did not get that impression from your post.

Both :)

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

9 minutes ago, Newbie0 said:

But sadly I had to RMA my V750(burnt cables). So now I’ve to choose a new one. 

If your PSU failed and you RMA'd it then Cooler Master is sending you a replacement unit, correct? Why not use that?

Was it one of the older series on V750 power supplies or was it one of the new series?

Which cable melted? Where did it melt? What was it plugged in to? Have any photos?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Specs on the system it's to be used with would be most helpful here.

It's hard to suggest something for a setup you don't know anything about.

Edited.?

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

corsair's warranty support is remarkable, and their RMX units are pretty outstanding overall. 

although I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of these selections

Thanks. But I was trying to avoid that one(for higher price ??)

from that list the straight power is the best. you can look at bitfenix whisper as well, as they are very good and cheap

18 minutes ago, Newbie0 said:

You can go for the 550W version of any of these PSU's too.

My recommendation still goes to the Be Quiet Straight Power

Misread the double RX 580 part

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If your PSU failed and you RMA'd it then Cooler Master is sending you a replacement unit, correct? Why not use that?

Was it one of the older series on V750 power supplies or was it one of the new series?

Which cable melted? Where did it melt? What was it plugged in to? Have any photos?

I was told that I’d get a replacement. But got refund as the seller didn't  have that in stock. 
it was one of the older series. 

At first GPU. Then CPU. At last Mobo. All of these was at the PSUs end. 

15 minutes ago, minibois said:

I would go for a Be Quiet Straight Power 11.

Excellent quiet PSU.

I feel like it's a step above the others, which are about as good as each other.

Of course knowing you system specs will help in accurately estimating what would be your best option.

Thanks. But Seasonic one is platinum. Isn’t that better than the be quiet?

10 minutes ago, minibois said:

Given the system spec. I need a 750w PSU. The Corsair one is 10$ extra from every PSU. 

Is the WARRANTY SUPPORT of Be quiet good?

17 minutes ago, Newbie0 said:

Less expensive than the PX though

But the rig you specified in the original post only draws like 450 watts, so maybe Consider a cheaper model?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, minibois said:

For 2x rx580? That's tight.

@Newbie0

How did you connect the cards with the V750? I assume it's the pcie-cable that got burnt?

5 minutes ago, Newbie0 said:

I was told that I’d get a replacement. But got refund as the seller didn't  have that in stock. 
it was one of the older series. 

At first GPU. Then CPU. At last Mobo. All of these was at the PSUs end. 

Ah, at least they were able to give you a refund. Does the refund you got cover the cost of the PSUs you are looking at or are they more expensive?

It's odd that all of those different cables melted on the PSU side... Not sure why that would be.

It just means it's [slightly] more efficient.
There's also a new be Quiet Straight Power 11 80+ Platinum unit that was just released as well.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It just means it's [slightly] more efficient.

So the Straight Power is better than the others. Right?

3 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

How did you connect the cards with the V750?

With 8+6 pcie cables. 

3 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

I assume it's the pcie-cable that got burnt?

Yes. 

Just now, Newbie0 said:

Given the system spec. I need a 750w PSU. The Corsair one is 10$ extra from every PSU. 

Is the WARRANTY SUPPORT of Be quiet good?

Oh, you have 2 580's. Yeah, 750W is a good choice in that case.

My experience with Be Quiet's support has been positive in the past, but I have never used it for PSU's (only for one of their fans once).

5 minutes ago, Newbie0 said:

Efficiency is good, but components on the inside matter a lot too. Plus it's also very possible one is just barely a Platinum while the other is barely not a Platinum.

Efficiency is not something to base your choice of.

The Be Quiet is a high quality very quiet PSU.

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

For 2x rx580? That's tight.

@Newbie0

How did you connect the cards with the V750? I assume it's the pcie-cable that got burnt?

Missed the part about the dual 580's.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

But the rig you specified in the original post only draws like 350 watts

14 minutes ago, minibois said:

Might have missed it but it's listed as 2x RX 580's in their specs, not just one. Looking at about 200-ish watts per card, plus the other stuff.
In addition to how much power it draws I believe those Sapphire Nitro+ cards require 2 PCIe connectors each, meaning they would need at least 4x PCIe connectors from the PSU, which many of the 550W PSUs don't have.

750W makes sense here.

So the Straight Power is better than the others. Right?

All of the PSus you listed are good.

Just now, Newbie0 said:

With 8+6 pcie cables. 

Yes. 

That is not what I was looking for. It has 4x PCIe connectors, I guess it is 2x on 2 cables?

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

In addition to how much power it draws I believe those Sapphire Nitro+ cards require 2 PCIe connectors each, meaning they would need at least 4x PCIe connectors from the PSU

Well, the GPUs only require 1 pcie connector (psu end) each. 

First of all, new CM V-series are meh. Second, be quiet! unit are multi-rail which is a plus (especially with multi-GPU setups). Other than that, they're pretty much identical when it comes to performance and quality, so maybe be quiet! SP11 for multi-rail then, although it has 5y warranty so if that matters for you i'd probably suggest Corsair RMx then.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Spotty said:

Might have missed it but it's listed as 2x RX 580's in their specs, not just one. Looking at about 200-ish watts per card, plus the other stuff.
In addition to how much power it draws I believe those Sapphire Nitro+ cards require 2 PCIe connectors each, meaning they would need at least 4x PCIe connectors from the PSU, which many of the 550W PSUs don't have.

750W makes sense here.

Yeah, missed that part. After OP and @Sir0Tek pointed it out I edited my comment. You must have quoted me before this edit was made.

But thanks to all for being so watchful ?

My previous RX 580 card required only a single 6+2 pin PCIe though and it used about 200W of power under full load.