Server 2016 SSD

emhfe

Hello guys, I have a simple question, I am installing a new windows server 2016 for VM Host, my question is, how recommendable is to create a raid 1 (2x240GB) on Regular SSD for OS booting?

All VMs will be in a 6x480Gb SAS Raid 10.

Thanks in advanced.

Ezequiel

If you're worried about a drive failing it's an option. Really depends on how mission critical keeping the VMs online are for you.

This still isn't a backup solution though. Keep copies of them somewhere else too.

That's a good idea. That will still give you 240GB of flash storage so you could probably leave around 100GB for hypervisor itself and another 140GB could serve as an additional storage for some performance-critical VMs.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

If you're worried about a drive failing it's an option. Really depends on how mission critical keeping the VMs online are for you.

This still isn't a backup solution though. Keep copies of them somewhere else too.

Thanks for the fast reply, that VM host is critical to be up and running 24/7 right now the OS is on Raid 1 (2x480GB) SAS Drivers which I believe is a waste of space, that is why I want to move the OS to a new pair of Discs, from there is how reliable can be to install the OS on 2x240GB SSD Drives

2 minutes ago, emhfe said:

Thanks for the fast reply, that VM host is critical to be up and running 24/7 right now the OS is on Raid 1 (2x480GB) SAS Drivers which I believe is a waste of space, that is why I want to move the OS to a new pair of Discs, from there is how reliable can be to install the OS on 2x240GB SSD Drives

SSDs are plenty reliable but if it's this important that they stay online you might prefer to look into some enterprise series SSDs as oppose to consumer versions.

Such as the Intel D3-S4610. It has a 2 million hour MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures). The performance isn't as great as desktop series but the dependability is higher.

I assume you're using Hardware RAID. I'm not sure how/if TRIM/Garbage Collection will work here. Maybe @Electronics Wizardy has some insight on this. If there's any specific features the RAID card needs to support.

45 minutes ago, emhfe said:

what hardware?

WIndows doesn't support booting from software raid, so you need a hardware solution.

ALso if uptime is that critical, get a cluster. how reliable can be to install the OS on 2x240GB SSD Driv

Given you're running a mission-critical server here, make sure it runs on enterprise-grade hardware. Consumer/Prosumer hardware just wouldn't cut the mustard eventually and may cost you more then you save in the end. Usually, server mainboards have a SATA_DOM (disk-on-memory) port, which holds a special Flash device to be used as a boot device. Usually, the system then copies all files from said SATA disk to memory and runs the OS entirely from RAM.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

A RAID1 is a good idea for OS, thats saved us countless times I can remember. Keep in mind it has to be hardware RAID. 

Even though SSDs are more reliable than spinning drives they could still be a potential issue so its a good safety measure for uptime. 

How come you're using Server 2016 as a VM Host though? You'd have to reboot it regularly for security patching. 

You sure Hyper-V Server or ESXi wouldn't be more suitable? 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Thanks everyone for the answer, in summary

Yes it is a Hardware Raid

I will look for enterprise SSD, but as they are only OS, should be necessary?

It is Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V Server (sorry about the confusion) 

Once again thank you guys!