Xbox Series X will have dedicated sound card

BlackManINC
3 hours ago, an actual squirrel said:

I have no idea why this thread is getting so confusing with conflicting explanations. Simply put, 3d audio is surround sound that has 3 dimensions - left right, front back, up down. For reference, 7.1 is 2d - left right, front back, and stereo is 1d - left right. 3d audio for headphones is when you take that 3d audio and convert it into binaural audio for headphones.

Hardware acceleration means you can keep track of more sounds and do more effects.

Ray tracing is used so that objects in the game can block audio if they are in the way. You can also use it to do reverb in real time, but if the game level is unchanging, you can just prebake the reverb in each distinct area. That's what EAX did.

Because apparently “3d sound” means a lot of different things, applies to a bunch of different techniques, and most of them don’t do up/down at all, or do it in a very limited way.  This creates confusion.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I think the later EAX implementations did it real time.

It most certainly did. We used the live cards to do guitar effects in the 90's.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I couldn't care less about the finer details, the audio, the teraflops, the raytracing blah blah fucking blah.

The only reason i buy consoles is for the exclusives so i have a Playstation for all of the quality single player games Sony has and anything Xbox has to offer gets played on my PC. 

Better sound hardware's nice, but I'd be surprised if it made a massive difference.  Modern consoles are basically mini PCs, and PC motherboard integrated sound chips have been good enough as a main audio source for over a decade now...  There's only a few compelling arguments to have an extra expansion card for audio.