Rate my first ever build!

mikestrong88

This has probably been done a million times, but as this is my first ever build, I wanted somewhere for constructive criticism for me to monitor rather than get lost in a mega thread.

PC spec list

NZXT H500i case - black

Ryzen 5 3600

Gigabye RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC

Asus TUF X570 plus Wifi board

NZXT Kraken X62 AIO

32GB Corsair Vengence Pro RGB - 3600mhz

1TB Intel NVME

Seasonic 80+ Platinum 650W modular PSU

White PSU extensions

Peripherals

MSI Mag271C 144hz Monitor

Logitech G502 Mouse

Logitech G513 Carbon Keyboard

Steelseries Arctis 7 wireless headset

Random Amazon desk, monitor stand and RGB mouse mat

ADX Champion Chair

I have done my best to keep this a clean but functional setup. Things like angled DP adapter, 90 degree Wifi adapters etc to give a nice clean look. I also spent AGES cable managing everything to keep it all hidden. I am really happy it is finally complete, but any ideas on how to make things better is always appreciated! This is my new project that I don't think will ever end

20200215_122553.jpg

20200215_122902.jpg

20200215_122913.jpg

Looks sick!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Looks great, but at this price point I would've saved money on things like custom cables and AIO and bought an RTX 2070 Super instead.

Anyway, good job! :D

6 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

Looks great, but at this price point I would've saved money on things like custom cables and AIO and bought an RTX 2070 Super instead.

A big part of the project for me was aesthetics (which I know is stupid ?) and I was originally going to get the 1660ti, so I'm pretty happy that I managed to get an RTX card of any sort. Also the cables cost me a whopping £8 for all of them ? 

Looks great ! Only thing is you might not want to keep a nice pc like that in the floor long term because of the dust down there, plus as you said you focused on aesthetics so why keep it where you can’t see it. What I would do is get a monitor arm and keep the Xbox one s and the clock under the monitor and put the pc in it’s place, but that’s just a suggestion.

CPU: Amd Ryzen 3400g 

COOLER: Be Quite Dark Rock Pro 4

MOBO: Aorus x570 elite 

RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengence 3200 MHz 

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB

GPU: Powercolour Red Devil RX570 4GB

PSU: Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold

CASE: Coolermaster H500p Mesh

21 minutes ago, Zvoid said:

Looks great ! Only thing is you might not want to keep a nice pc like that in the floor long term because of the dust down there, plus as you said you focused on aesthetics so why keep it where you can’t see it. What I would do is get a monitor arm and keep the Xbox one s and the clock under the monitor and put the pc in it’s place, but that’s just a suggestion.

This is something I've really been thinking about! The only frustrating thing is I accidently threw out the Vesa mount for his monitor and I cannot find one anywhere. I really would like to display the pc up higher. 

I could kick myself for throwing that away! I was going to get another monitor and have a dual arm and do exactly what you said. 

1 hour ago, mikestrong88 said:

This is something I've really been thinking about! The only frustrating thing is I accidently threw out the Vesa mount for his monitor and I cannot find one anywhere. I really would like to display the pc up higher. 

I could kick myself for throwing that away! I was going to get another monitor and have a dual arm and do exactly what you said. 

I mean it’s not urgent as the h500i doesn’t exactly have the best amount of airflow due to the restricted front panel so dust won’t accumulate too fast, but when it does it will be noticeable due to an increase in temperature. What I’m really saying is that it’s fine for a few months until you find the correct mount or feel like it’s worthwhile upgrading you monitor all together. But just remember, do your research before you buy, because if you get a super expensive monitor your pc might not be able to take advantage of it. 

18 minutes ago, Zvoid said:

I mean it’s not urgent as the h500i doesn’t exactly have the best amount of airflow due to the restricted front panel so dust won’t accumulate too fast, but when it does it will be noticeable due to an increase in temperature. What I’m really saying is that it’s fine for a few months until you find the correct mount or feel like it’s worthwhile upgrading you monitor all together. But just remember, do your research before you buy, because if you get a super expensive monitor your pc might not be able to take advantage of it. 

Yeah I have had it in place in an unfinished form since the end of Dec and theres literally no dust in it now. I checked today when putting the final touches together and theres none. 

Monitor wise I really like the one I have now. 144hz, 1ms & 1080p is plenty for me at the moment, now to find the bracket?!

4 hours ago, TrainFan2020 said:

Looks sick!

Coronavirus sick!

4 hours ago, Viper9 said:

as long as you dont use RGB then its all good!

4 hours ago, mikestrong88 said:

Yeah I have had it in place in an unfinished form since the end of Dec and theres literally no dust in it now. I checked today when putting the final touches together and theres none. 

Monitor wise I really like the one I have now. 144hz, 1ms & 1080p is plenty for me at the moment, now to find the bracket?!

You can probably pick one up from eBay or whatever second hand platform is the best in your area, if not just check in every box you have, I once found a lost fork inside my power supply box...

1 hour ago, Zvoid said:

You can probably pick one up from eBay or whatever second hand platform is the best in your area, if not just check in every box you have, I once found a lost fork inside my power supply box...

? Yeah stuff can turn up in the weirdest places. I know exactly which box it was in and that got thrown out. I even went to the recycling area where the box was left to see if it was still there. Sadly not. 

11 hours ago, mikestrong88 said:

I wanted somewhere for constructive criticism for me to monitor rather than get lost in a mega thread.

Clean and tidy, the absence of rainbow unicorn vomit is a nice touch.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

I like it, clean setup and good job on your first build!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT

MB: ASUS ROG Dark Hero VIII 570S

MEMORY: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 32GB (8GB x 4) @ 3200Mhz

CASE: Corsair 680x

STORAGE: 256GB M.2(PCIE) EVO 970 | 1TB Curcial M.2 (PCIE) SSD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

looks really nice, like other people have said, keep it away from carpet. 

not sure the temps, i would of thought the CPU cooler would have been mounted on the top of the case with fans pulling out the heat and duel fans (as big as possible) on the front of the case to draw cool fresh air in from the front. 

like the idea of mounting the GPU on its side. should give air a chance to go around it and cool the card pretty well.

nice to see you choose to get a nvme M.2, makes it fast, clean, simple and direct plug in, no cables required. 

I like this a lot especially its your first build

16 hours ago, Frayia said:

looks really nice, like other people have said, keep it away from carpet. 

not sure the temps, i would of thought the CPU cooler would have been mounted on the top of the case with fans pulling out the heat and duel fans (as big as possible) on the front of the case to draw cool fresh air in from the front. 

like the idea of mounting the GPU on its side. should give air a chance to go around it and cool the card pretty well.

nice to see you choose to get a nvme M.2, makes it fast, clean, simple and direct plug in, no cables required. 

I like this a lot especially its your first build

Thank you! 

I'll be getting it off the carpet soon I think. Its strange but this case only has a single fan vent on the top and the rad is a dual 140mm so the only place to mount it is the front. Not the best as the airflow at the front of this case is a little restricting. 

That being said my temps seem pretty good and I've stress tested and GPU maxes at 83 and the CPU at around 65. Could probably do with better cooling on the card though you're right. 

As for the Nvme, I'm so glad I went down this route. One less cable to hide and I've even got a spare m.2 slot so when I need more storage I'll 100% be doing nvme again. I'm tempted by the pcie gen 4 stuff but it's SO expensive in comparison to the gen 3 ones, and I doubt I'd really notice much difference 

On 2/18/2020 at 9:36 PM, Geoffy The Workstation said:

Good build, nice cable management. Only things I would have changed would be a Ryzen 7 processor, 3200mhz for ram would have been fine too.

Sadly the 7 was a little outside of my budget & I looked at the performance gains and at the time I couldn't afford the extra. One day though ☺