Low disk active time on SSD during download. Should I be concerned?

Kirikoza

I had to reinstall Call of Duty after the season 2 update because it pretty much broke my game. I decided to reinstall it onto my new 1TB SSD. I went to task manager to try and prioritize Battle.net in network but realized the slow download speed of "7 MB/s" wasn't a bandwidth issue, battle.net is getting over 60 Mbps for download speed. My disk is the bottleneck, it's downloading at 7 MB/s as well, and both the game download speed and my disk active time fluctuate at the same time. My WD Blue SSD is rated for 545 MB/s of write speed, and the disk is at a whopping 1% active time. It fluctuates from 0-3%. The read and write speeds spike and drop.

Is this normal or is something wrong here?

Are you sure you are not confusing MB/s and Mb/s?
Your SSD and probably this program will mention MB and something like speedtest.net uses Mb.

1MB = 8Mb. Meaning 60Mb/s = 7.5MB/s, which comes awfully close to the speeds you're having now.

Edited by minibois
(misspelled now as not)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Are you sure you are not confusing MB/s and Mb/s?
Your SSD and probably this program will mention MB and something like speedtest.net uses Mb.

1MB = 8Mb. Meaning 60Mb/s = 7.5MB/s, which comes awfully close to the speeds you're having not.

probably i didn't know there was a difference I edited it if that makes it easier to read.

Just now, Kirikoza said:

probably i didn't know there was a difference I edited it if that makes it easier to read.

Take a look at what sort of speeds you're seeing (in Mb or MB too).

Megabit = Mb

Megabyte = MB

1 MB = 8Mb.

From my experience, your ISP, speedtest.net, etc. will show megabit because that's a higher number.

Your SSD, many download platforms (like Steam) show megabyte.

I think that is the discrepancy you're seeing here.

TL;DR: different way of measuring the same thing. If you're seeing 60Mb/s download and 7MB/s write on your SSD; it's all going correct.

image.png.14318358f4620c993d4c1aae41e885cd.png

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Take a look at what sort of speeds you're seeing (in Mb or MB too).

Megabit = Mb

Megabyte = MB

1 MB = 8Mb.

From my experience, your ISP, speedtest.net, etc. will show megabit because that's a higher number.

Your SSD, many download platforms (like Steam) show megabyte.

I think that is the discrepancy you're seeing here.

TL;DR: different way of measuring the same thing. If you're seeing 60Mb/s download and 7MB/s write on your SSD; it's all going correct.

image.png.14318358f4620c993d4c1aae41e885cd.png

f*cking "megabit versus megabyte" I hate computer lingo. not getting mad at you but what idiot decides this crap. Oh right cable companies no surprise there.

oh and ty for the response now I know.

12 minutes ago, Kirikoza said:

f*cking "megabit versus megabyte" I hate computer lingo. not getting mad at you but what idiot decides this crap. Oh right cable companies no surprise there.

It's kind of confusing, but other than the whole 'it's easier to advertise 60Mb vs 7MB' thing, it's also possible (at least in network theory) to send less than a full byte.

Without boring you with the details, there is reason to have Mb and MB. It would have been nice if these two used a more different looking abbreviation (like at least MiB looks different and wouldn't be quickly misinterpreted as MB).

It's clear it's almost never a good idea to put any computer company/consortium in charge of 'marketing names' (shout-out to USB 3.0 being renamed two times!).

60mbps doesn't mean 60 megabytes per second, means bits per second. 1 byte = 8 bits

18 hours ago, Kirikoza said:

Cable companies have absolutely nothing to do with it. Just wait until you start getting into MiB vs MB and stuff.