PC confessions

mao91
3 minutes ago, -CLASSIFIED- said:

i bought all aluminum ekwb components because i'm poor , but still want to be a cool kid with an open loop (also my aio shit the bed and started leaking from the rad so yeaaaa)

Nothing wrong with aluminum.  Just don’t let any copper or steel in your loop and you’ll be fine

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I have a afflication of loving old video cards. If I had the time, space and money I would have a wall full of old cards. The same goes with old computer parts, espcially anything from the 60s and 70s

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Too many pieces/parts is parts/junk/whatever around here.
I could literally stock a PC store with all this stuff and still have enough left overs to build a few for myself. It also covers a date range from 20 years or more ago right up to what is new today too so yes, I'm a hoarder.

I guess one day I'll throw a match on it all, just not today.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I've had my PC with an i5 8600k over a year now and have never overclocked it.

I'm a file hoarder, not as bad as Linus or some of you, but let's say my total 5TBs of storage are no longer doing the trick, i need more.

I also scratched my Super Flower PSU to hell when i installed it in this case, because i didn't pay attention to a couple of screws on the top of the PSU shroud.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

On 2/14/2020 at 6:51 AM, imreloadin said:

I use an OEM Dell membrane keyboard...

I use an OEM Acer Keyboard and Mouse, beat that.

I'm the budget guy.

10 hours ago, Ukyo82 said:

I am using 17 years keyboard from my first PC :D

That's not shameful, It's just respectful

I'm the budget guy.

10 hours ago, Ukyo82 said:

I am using 17 years keyboard from my first PC :D

Much respect.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

GPU: EVGA GTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

Im really bad for building and upgrading my pcs for no reason.

For what i do i could honestly grab an old optiplex and slap a gpu into it. But in my head im like "i want to play destiny 2 at 144hz 1440p" so instead i end up with a fairly nice setup.

And if thats not bad enough i end up upgrading for no reason. Had a 1700x and 1080 and when zen 2 came out i decided to upgrade to a 3700x and 2070 Super. And when the new nvidia cards come out for some dumb reason ill replace my 2070 with one of those.

Its a horrible cycle lol.

I finally broke my shameful habit of rebuilding my main rig 3 years in a row to stay on the cutting edge.

I still have a microsoft media keyboard version 1.0A that I've owned for about 18yrs and is still in use... and last year I gave my mum my old microsoft 5 button intellimouse from around the same time as hers broke.

MS used to make solid gear... but the wireless versions of both of those that my mum bought about 5-6yrs ago were utter garbage.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

6 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I still have a microsoft media keyboard version 1.0A that I've owned for about 18yrs and is still in use... and last year I gave my mum my old microsoft 5 button intellimouse from around the same time as hers broke.

MS used to make solid gear... but the wireless versions of both of those that my mum bought about 5-6yrs ago were utter garbage.

Friend, the 5 button itellimouse is the best mouse ever. The side buttons are AWESOME to set for strafe in shooters. I used to run most of my movements from the mouse. R/L buttons strafe, middle key back ward, right button forward, left button fire, mouse wheel switch weapons, and some rando keyboard button for jump.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Friend, the 5 button itellimouse is the best mouse ever. The side buttons are AWESOME to set for strafe in shooters. I used to run most of my movements from the mouse. R/L buttons strafe, middle key back ward, right button forward, left button fire, mouse wheel switch weapons, and some rando keyboard button for jump.

The only downside to the intellimouse is the low 400dpi that make it no good for decent gaming these days. You have to move the damn thing so much to cover modern sized screen res and it's very picky about the surface it's sitting on.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

6 hours ago, Gusp3h said:

I use an OEM Acer Keyboard and Mouse, beat that.

Two words: “buckling spring”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

The only downside to the intellimouse is the low 400dpi that make it no good for decent gaming these days. You have to move the damn thing so much to cover modern sized screen res and it's very picky about the surface it's sitting on.

Yea, that sure is a problem I'm running into on my 27" wide screen. It's a heck of a chore going side to side. I just can't find a good  mouse with a similar enough button lay out, of course I also haven't really looked much either. I've got 4 or 5 of these mice or very similar ones around, when ever I see one pop up for cheap I grab one. I've worn out 2 or 3 over the years (hard to click or double clicking itself) and worn the paint off a few as well.

6 hours ago, Archer20 said:

Much respect.

Happen to be really durable just still keep going even buttons are not loose in this thing :D , don't no exact weight of it but is pretty heavy, probably double weight of today's20171212_144622.jpg

I will replace it probably in some time but I want gaming keyboard with all those flashy features - non ghosting buttons, mechanical and RGB but not change it for some regular for sure

6 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Im really bad for building and upgrading my pcs for no reason.

For what i do i could honestly grab an old optiplex and slap a gpu into it. But in my head im like "i want to play destiny 2 at 144hz 1440p" so instead i end up with a fairly nice setup.

And if thats not bad enough i end up upgrading for no reason. Had a 1700x and 1080 and when zen 2 came out i decided to upgrade to a 3700x and 2070 Super. And when the new nvidia cards come out for some dumb reason ill replace my 2070 with one of those.

Its a horrible cycle lol.

Wanna hear a horrible cycle, here we go.

-I wanted to get back into PC gaming after taking break for like 8 years

-I bought a r5 Alienware Laptop October of 2018.

-Bought an APU because I had credits I needed to use and figured I might use it sometime.

-Impulse bought a 2080ti in December of that year because I was in my local computer store when they were unpacking a new shipment.

-Bought a new power supply for the apu because the included one wasnt rated for enough wattage for the 2080ti.

-Didnt do my research and realized I couldnt use my APU without an external monitor.

-Sold my laptop in January because I decided to build a tower

-Bought a Define R6 case, 2700x, Gigabyte x470 gaming WIFI, 16 gb ram, Acer Predator x35 monitor and corsair h150i cooler.

-Starting in April I decided I wanted to do open loop and bought a thermaltake P5 case, started ordering a ton of water cooling parts and started planning for Ryzen 3.

-Sold the Acer monitor because I was getting motion sick and thought it was due to size, bought a pair of 24 inch monitors.

-Realized motion sickness was due to curved screen, not big screen

-Sold 24 inch monitors and bought 34 inch ultrawide flat panel samsung.

-Ryzen 3 launches, couldnt find a 3900 at launch obviously so I got a 3600 because I had already sold the 2700x and wanted something to get by.

-Also bought a x570 Meg Ace because I sold the gaming 7 board and im not smart with component selection lol.

-Bought a 4x8 corsair RGB kit because I wanted all 4 slots populated knowing full well this was stupid

-Still running the 3600 because of the announced next ryzen launch hopefully this summer.

-Also I should add that I had a logitec 910 keyboard and 502 mouse, sold those and bought corsair k95 and VOID mouse because Im a corsair whore, no other reason really. 

And why was this all clearly a big waste and stupid use of money. Because I spend maybe 2-3 hours a week playing games and otherwise I web surf and watch friggin youtube videos. Worst part is I definitely will do this again and again.

1 minute ago, Ukyo82 said:

Happen to be really durable just still keep going even buttons are not loose in this thing :D , don't no exact weight of it but is pretty heavy, probably double weight of today's20171212_144622.jpg

I will replace it probably in some time but I want gaming keyboard with all those flashy features - non ghosting buttons, mechanical and RGB but not change it for some regular for sure

You’ll be able to trade it straight up.  Personally, I wouldn’t.    There’s a reason those things go for the big money they do on eBay.

1 hour ago, Ukyo82 said:

Man, that thing is a warrior.

I use identical generic black HP keyboards on my computers at home and at work. After some years they get kind of gross with dust and crumbs, and I mean to clean them, but they are so cheap I just buy another. I have several gunky ones in boxes that I might clean if I feel poor next time.

After holding onto a Sandy Bridge i7 for far too long, last year I finally upgraded. I was so sick of overclocking and stability testing that I bought an i5 9400f and told myself it would be fine at stock. And it is fine.

I use an old walmart PC as a footrest.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

On 2/13/2020 at 1:04 PM, minibois said:

My confession: I have turned off a lot of my RGB lighting equipment. Or really most LEDs.

Only my keyboard lights are on. GPU, Mobo, mouse and RAM are all turned off. Pls don't prosecute me.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, -CLASSIFIED- said:

i have all the rgb , but leave all the lights off. like i paid extra for a feature i don't use lmao. 

-CLASSIFIED-, meet minibois. Minibois, meet -CLASSIFIED-.

My Build (5800X3D, RTX 3070)

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can