Again me with GPU question !!!

Hey guys. As someone saw my post i was switching my dead GPU to new GPU and i will be switching to same GPU and that is r9 270.

I had MSI R9 270 and i bought used R9 270 Powercolor. 

Okay so the guy told me that he was using that card and that its working in his home . I didnt tested in his place but yeah.

I saw him bring the card and he was really gentle and he packed everything cool and the card really looks in awesome condition with even crossfire protection on her (screws intact too). So i plug her in my PC and it gives no screen, black screen.

He is sleeping now but i remembered that he sad to me that he was using HDMI cable only not DVI-D to VGA  adapter like me, so maybe thats the case my card wont boot and it gives black screen?

To add my ex card which is dying  still shows screen (but with artifacts since she is dying and driver wont work) with same DVI-D to VGA adapter , but this card wont work.

I dont think guy is scam because he told me call me if something is not right and i will gave you back money and similar. Even on box that he gave me with the card i can see his adress where he lives and his name and even phone number because he bought new card and box was XFX RX580 4GB.

So my guess maybe DVI port dont work on card , faulty? Maybe i should try HDMI to VGA adapter what you guys think could be the problem? 

try without using an adapter, your adapter might not work on that card or something idk

pc specs:

Spoiler

r5 3600
16gb ddr4 3200mhz

b450 tomahawk max
rx 6600xt

1tb ssd + 6tb hdd
meshify c
750w dragon or something psu idk

5 minutes ago, Isaac Clarke said:

Maybe i should try HDMI to VGA adapter what you guys think could be the problem? 

Does your monitor only have VGA in or something? It's always best to not use any adapter at all.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

I dont have straight DVI cable leading from monitor to GPU to do that. And my monitor is pretty old thats why im using adapters unfortunately.

15 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Does your monitor only have VGA in or something? It's always best to not use any adapter at all.

My monitor have 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)   and  1 x DVI-D - 24+1 pin digital DVI

EDIT: In monitor its VGA leading to VGA which is from DVI-I male  to VGA adapter

And i have 3 inputs on GPU. 1 is DVI-I , HDMI and Display Port connector. 

12 hours ago, Isaac Clarke said:

My monitor have 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)   and  1 x DVI-D - 24+1 pin digital DVI

EDIT: In monitor its VGA leading to VGA which is from DVI-I male  to VGA adapter

Does this mean that you have an adapter going from DVI-I to VGA plugged into a second VGA port on the back of your monitor? This isn't very clear...

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

54 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Does this mean that you have an adapter going from DVI-I to VGA plugged into a second VGA port on the back of your monitor? This isn't very clear...

Yes man. Yeah adapter is DVI-I to VGA plugged in VGA port on the back of my monitor. And that doesnt work too.

To add on my MSI r9 270 even DVI-A to VGA adapter works and he is plugged into DVI-I on GPU, strange right. 

To clear things.

On my monitor is DVI-D (Dual Link)

On MSI r9 270 is DVI-I (Dual Link) and DVI-D (Dual Link)  and both adapters work DVI-I to VGA and DVI-A to VGA plugged into  DVI-I port on GPU 

On "new" Powercolor R9 270 is only DVI-I (Dual Link) and both adapters to VGA not working, so black screen

main-qimg-715d3c0650de92c562108fd5b77dd2e9.png.73858f8478a178e2f0648141ff0a0fc2.png

6 hours ago, Isaac Clarke said:

Yes man. Yeah adapter is DVI-I to VGA plugged in VGA port on the back of my monitor. And that doesnt work too.

To add on my MSI r9 270 even DVI-A to VGA adapter works and he is plugged into DVI-I on GPU, strange right. 

6 hours ago, Isaac Clarke said:

To clear things.

On my monitor is DVI-D (Dual Link)

On MSI r9 270 is DVI-I (Dual Link) and DVI-D (Dual Link)  and both adapters work DVI-I to VGA and DVI-A to VGA plugged into  DVI-I port on GPU 

On "new" Powercolor R9 270 is only DVI-I (Dual Link) and both adapters to VGA not working, so black screen

I think you might need to post a picture of the ports on the monitor and GPU, because it's not quite coming across right. In the first one you say that you're using an adapter into the VGA port, and then in the second you say that both the monitor and card have a DVI-D port on them... If the second quote is right, you shouldn't need any adapters at all, you should just use a DVI-D to DVI-D cable to connect them.

EDIT - you will need an active adapter, not a passive adapter I believe, still digging

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

7 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

If the second quote is right, you shouldn't need any adapters at all, you should just use a DVI-D to DVI-D cable to connect them.

He also has it right, if your monitor has the DVI-D then just get a DVI-D to DVI-D cable.  And Im not sure a DVI-D adapter will work in this situation unless its an active adapter.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Okay guys Forget all this above, i did this.

1. I came to friends house with MY PC to try HDMI since his monitor is good , still black screen.

2. I put his RX560 ASUS strix into my PC and HDMI and still black screen, even with his graphics which is new. 

3. Okay i pissed off and i came to this idea. I unplugged everything from my PC and from his . Then I put my PSU in his PC (since he doesnt have 6pin on his PSU) and that Powercolor r9 270 card on his mobo , HDMI in her and guess  what ,BOOM windows loaded and everything working fine. So the card is working!!!

So i ran out from ideas why this card and his RX560 not working in my PC. Maybe its my old mobo? Maybe PCIe slot not working idk. 

To remind you My MSI R9 270 worked for 2 years until she started to show artifacts and green lines and crashed on Resident Evil 7. WHile i was on credits btw lol. :D

What is problem?

3 hours ago, Isaac Clarke said:

Okay guys Forget all this above, i did this.

1. I came to friends house with MY PC to try HDMI since his monitor is good , still black screen.

2. I put his RX560 ASUS strix into my PC and HDMI and still black screen, even with his graphics which is new. 

3. Okay i pissed off and i came to this idea. I unplugged everything from my PC and from his . Then I put my PSU in his PC (since he doesnt have 6pin on his PSU) and that Powercolor r9 270 card on his mobo , HDMI in her and guess  what ,BOOM windows loaded and everything working fine. So the card is working!!!

So i ran out from ideas why this card and his RX560 not working in my PC. Maybe its my old mobo? Maybe PCIe slot not working idk. 

To remind you My MSI R9 270 worked for 2 years until she started to show artifacts and green lines and crashed on Resident Evil 7. WHile i was on credits btw lol. :D

What is problem?

Try updating your BIOS.

What motherboard do you have?

I did man . Problem is that my mobo is too old actually. Its MEDION MSI MS-7728. This mobo actually support i think only MSI brand of graphics cards. Like you can see on this site i found for Powercolor R9 270x under MEDION tab when you scroll a bit down.

https://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/AMD/R-200_Series/Radeon_R9_270X_PowerColor_2GB_OC_TurboDuo_Edition/2127/Compatible_Motherboards

Actually there is only one model of MEDION mobo that supports Powercolor R9 270x and that is MS-7709 and mine is MS-7728 so thats why it wont work... Same goes with Gigabyte and Sapphire so its logical.

One guy on other forum told me that my mobo is bad that MEDION , they discriminate manufacturer so yeah. 

Gonna switch my mobo soon and problem solved. 

If the the problem was display cable or port, your PC should still POST-ing. You should be able to hear beep or windows startup sound.

If it not even POST-ing then probably the GPU is kaput or incompatible with your mainboard.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 2/12/2020 at 3:27 AM, Isaac Clarke said:

Hey guys. As someone saw my post i was switching my dead GPU to new GPU and i will be switching to same GPU and that is r9 270.

I had MSI R9 270 and i bought used R9 270 Powercolor. 

Okay so the guy told me that he was using that card and that its working in his home . I didnt tested in his place but yeah.

I saw him bring the card and he was really gentle and he packed everything cool and the card really looks in awesome condition with even crossfire protection on her (screws intact too). So i plug her in my PC and it gives no screen, black screen.

He is sleeping now but i remembered that he sad to me that he was using HDMI cable only not DVI-D to VGA  adapter like me, so maybe thats the case my card wont boot and it gives black screen?

To add my ex card which is dying  still shows screen (but with artifacts since she is dying and driver wont work) with same DVI-D to VGA adapter , but this card wont work.

I dont think guy is scam because he told me call me if something is not right and i will gave you back money and similar. Even on box that he gave me with the card i can see his adress where he lives and his name and even phone number because he bought new card and box was XFX RX580 4GB.

So my guess maybe DVI port dont work on card , faulty? Maybe i should try HDMI to VGA adapter what you guys think could be the problem? 

You can't do DVI-D to VGA because dvi-d is digital and vga is analog. That is, unlees you have an active adapter.

mobo is problem. Problem is mobo is locked to specific manufacturers it wont work. I will try maybe some custom BIOS will see, or extract GPU UEFI with gpu z then see.

Motherboards locking. Such a terrible decision.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

Motherboards locking. Such a terrible decision.

Because its from OEM PC man... HP desktop office PC lol. But it sucks...

15 minutes ago, Isaac Clarke said:

Because its from OEM PC man... HP desktop office PC lol. But it sucks...

OEM or not OEM, that's just a fucking stupid decision. I mean, they already got YOUR money so why still locking.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

2 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

OEM or not OEM, that's just a fucking stupid decision. I mean, they already got YOUR money so why still locking.

Most of OEM PCs doesnt block but asses AKA people from MEDION were  "smart" enough to lock mobo/block newer specific GPUs .

1 hour ago, Isaac Clarke said:

Most of OEM PCs doesnt block but asses AKA people from MEDION were  "smart" enough to lock mobo/block newer specific GPUs .

Oh Medion, ugh, they're complete trash.

DAC/AMPs:

Problem solved. I flash GPU to legacy BIOS, i disabled UEFI on GPU  with some tools from TECH POWER GPU. It works so fuck yeah!!!