3950x with air cooling = bad idea?

Windows95

I was hoping to finally update my q6600 to 3950x and would use Noctua dh-15 or dh-15s... but not sure anymore. I've read that AIO is recommended. Im too paranoid to use anything with water inside my case, so now I don't know what to do. Im also concerned about temp spikes even while doing mundane stuff like browsing the internet (i've seen people complain about this). In fact, look at this:

265334_upload_2020-1-3_10-50-20.png

Should I bother, or its best to wait for 4000 series next xmas? I feel like im being AMD's guinea pig with this, and 4000 will be cooler, more stable, and no problems with quality air coolers.

I don't plan to do OC. I will edit videos, 3d animation and make music, and do some gaming.

The NH-D15 is a hardcore cooler, it can run with the best of water coolers.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The NH-D15 is a hardcore cooler, it can run with the best of water coolers.

Just now, KSores said:

nh-d15 is better then most aio watercoolers

According to the guys in this forum, its just not enough

https://hardforum.com/threads/what-air-cooler-to-get-for-3950x-i-dont-want-water-cooling.1991189/page-2#post-1044453072

So im not sure anymore.

1 minute ago, Windows95 said:

https://hardforum.com/threads/what-air-cooler-to-get-for-3950x-i-dont-want-water-cooling.1991189/page-2#post-1044453072

So im not sure anymore.

i have a nhd-15 and it's worked better then 2 aio's that i've had so idk what to say i've had a h100iv2 and a fractal design aio

1 minute ago, KSores said:

i have a nhd-15 and it's worked better then 2 aio's that i've had so idk what to say i've had a h100iv2 and a fractal design aio

Well, we are talking about the 3950x specifically here.

30 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

So im not sure anymore.

That guy explicitly says he doesn't have test data for air coolers. And it's damn near impossible to find test data.

What I can tell you is that I've overclocked some big ass multicore Intel chips on big tower coolers like the NH-D15 and Dark Rock Pro 4, and Intel chips are known to be less efficiency and run hotter than Ryzen. If I can push 14 cores on one to a 15% overclock, I highly doubt a soldered, more efficient CPU would struggle at stock settings. I truly believe that you can put a 3950X under an NH-D15 and not suffer thermal throttling, and perhaps manage an overclock to increase performance.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

That guy explicitly says he doesn't have test data for air coolers. And it's damn near impossible to find test data.

What I can tell you is that I've overclocked some big ass multicore Intel chips on big tower coolers like the NH-D15 and Dark Rock Pro 4, and Intel chips are known to be less efficiency and run hotter than Ryzen. If I can push 14 cores on one to a 15% overclock, I highly doubt a soldered, more efficient CPU would struggle at stock settings. I truly believe that you can put a 3950X under an NH-D15 and not suffer thermal throttling, and perhaps manage an overclock to increase performance.

Well this guy did a nh15 vs water cooling test:

temps are better in watercooling

this guy for instance said:

I have a 3900X and had the Noctua NH-D15S with a second fan mounted to it and I can tell you that it ran damn hot and was throttling when at %100 load. Running Prime95 it would easily hit 95 degrees and sit there, where my AIO does not hit 95 degrees after a 30 minute load on the standard test, blend. So take that as you will. Sure for everyday facebook posting I am sure an air cooler will be just fine, but I assume no one buys a 3950x for just surfing the net.

8 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

temps are better in watercooling

Yes, water cooling on a large radiator will be better. If your case fits a 360mm radiator and you just want the best temps, you can go for that.

Primary PC:

I was going to point out Jayztwocents but it's already been done.

NH-D15 kept up and surpassed a 360mm AIO in average temps. It only came second during spikes due to heat soak but even then, well within acceptable means.

At this point, the only true advantage an AIO would have over the NH-D15(s) is space available for ram and PCIe on some boards. Along with height clearance as it will not fit in some cases.

I want to use the NH-D15 with my next 3900X build but won't be able to use the Lian-Li O11 AIR which is disappointing. The XL variant would work though or I can just go with an AIO but they are generally louder and my build will be used primarily for audio production.

So it all depends. As well, these days as far as AIO's go, worrying about water is not a real concern anymore. But I understand all the same.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, PAVoutsinas said:

This to be exact.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

If you want to use AIO just because then go ahead and use it. But don't justify it on the grounds that air cooling is inferior.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Air works awesome if you aren't afraid of noise. Everyone is into silent computing these days, buying quiet fans with pathetic ratings and then they wonder why their stuff is hot. You aren't cooling shit with your 55cfm case fans at 500rpm lol. I am setup to handle loads in excess of 250w on the Intel side, but its not silent 😄

It can be done.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's