[USA] Ultra-book recommendation under $1000

Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,

Cooling should be the same in both models

6 hours ago, David Wright said:

My main concern is the usb c charging port errors on the X1 carbon, not sure if that is true or not

BIOS/firmware update will solve this

I'm a university student looking for a light and fast 15in / 15.6in laptop under 1000 USD. Here are the specs I'm aiming for:

• Resolution: 1080p (4k is fine but 1080p preferred)
  • Ram: 8gb
  • Storage: 256gb SSD minimum
  • Processor: i5 or i7 U, do not want an H or HQ processor (aiming for higher battery life, hence the 1080p screen as well)

Note: Don't mind touchscreen or 2 in 1 Laptops

Considering most of the main ultrabooks listed below:

1. Dell XPS 13 (really dont want the 13in but the reviews for the 15in model are bad and the 13 seems to have a nice processor and battery)
  2. Asus Zenbook (asus is bashed on for build quality)
  3. Hp Spectre x360 (Linus youtube destroyed this, but the new model looks promising)
  4. Dell Inspiron 7000

If you just want to write your notes on it. Maybe look at a 2nd gen surface laptop (I know it is only 13 inch) but it has a really nice keyboard. If you want to game on it too, the Asus Vivobook K571GT-EB76 is a Bang for your buck at Amazon right now. If you only want battery life the DEll Latitude 14 7400 has with more than 13 hours and is the best on the market (an i5 version with 16gb is under $1000)

@Rabel Appreciate the quick response!

The 2nd gen surface looks great and the features are nice too but I'm biased against it because all of my friends who have owned a surface have run into problems in less than 1 year of owning it.

Do not want a gaming laptop since I have a gaming desktop at home.

The dell Latitude looks great in terms of everything, where can I find the 16gb version? I only see the 8gb version under 1000 on their website. (Attached screenshot below)

Capture.PNG

11 hours ago, David Wright said:

I'm a university student looking for a light and fast 15in / 15.6in laptop under 1000 USD

Any preferences on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

6 hr plus screen on time, and on the lower end in weight. Won't be next to a port in most of my classes and I plan on carrying it around all the time.

Out of the three laptops above, which would be the best laptop? 

In terms of customer reviews

Depends on what you need. I really hate 16:9 aspect ratio on laptops so the XPS and Surface Laptop 3 are the only ones I considered. The HP and Lenovo have really bad touchpads so if you make use of the touchpad in Windows a lot then that may drive you nuts. The new XPS 2-in-1 has the maglev keyboard which is a love/hate keyboard. I love it. A lot of people hate it. The XPS 13 9300 didn't go with the maglev keyboard so it either isn't popular or its just needed in the 2-in-1 form factor. The XPS only has USB-C ports.

I mean you could write page upon page on how these are different but it just comes down to your preferences and requirements.

The Dell would be my pick.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

I plan to use it without a mouse, so the trackpad matters. I tried the xps keyboard and it'll take some getting use to but it's quite nice to the touch.

The dell is the most expensive out of the three , I'd be getting this model: Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition (Linux) (i7 10th Gen, 8gb ram , 256gb SSD, 1080p model) which I can put windows on myself . Total: $1189

And the HP Spectre: HP Spectre x360 Laptop - 13t touch7FQ48AV_1 (i5 8th gen, 16gb ram, 512 gb ssd, 1080p. touch screen with a pen) for Total: $949

The price and 2in1 is the only reason I'm considering the HP Spectre over the Dell @Constantin

2 minutes ago, David Wright said:

I plan to use it without a mouse, so the trackpad matters. I tried the xps keyboard and it'll take some getting use to but it's quite nice to the touch.

The dell is the most expensive out of the three , I'd be getting this model: Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition (Linux) (i7 10th Gen, 8gb ram , 256gb SSD, 1080p model) which I can put windows on myself . Total: $1189

And the HP Spectre: HP Spectre x360 Laptop - 13t touch7FQ48AV_1 (i5 8th gen, 16gb ram, 512 gb ssd, 1080p. touch screen with a pen) for Total: $949

The price and 2in1 is the only reason I'm considering the HP Spectre over the Dell @Constantin

You don't buy a lighter, you are buying a PC, get a good one if you can!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Will probably buy the developer edition of the xps 13 laptop tonight, specs listed below

Let me know if I'm making the right decision here please

Capture.PNG

For that budget go for business laptops

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

@genexis_x Currently looking at the Lenovo Carbon X1 Gen 6 and the Lenovo Carbon X1 Gen 7, they match the 1080p 16b ram, nice battery and lightweight specs that I'm looking for. What do you think?

X1 G6 has a better keyboard

If you don't mind non-upgradeable RAM and limited CPU cooling then it's a good choice

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

@genexis_x I like the speaker placement on the gen 7 because i do plan on watching movies and netflix on it. going to get the 16gb ram model so i dont have to worry about the ram.

is cpu cooling poor on the gen 7?  I read the 1080p screens are okay with cooling and battery life as opposed to the 4k.

My main concern is the usb c charging port errors on the X1 carbon, not sure if that is true or not

Cooling should be the same in both models

6 hours ago, David Wright said:

BIOS/firmware update will solve this

Desktop specs:

Spoiler