Windows on hibernate mode just randomly unhibernates

Ciuwas

It's currently 1:42 AM in the f***ing morning and my desktop turns on from hibernation mode. It does this so many times and I'm not sure what it is.

Setup No. 1: CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200g 3.95GHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard RAM: KingSpec DDR4 8GB Single Channel @ 2866MHz PSU: CS Series Modular CS 650M - 650 Watt Power Supply 80+ Gold Efficiency CASE: EVGA DG-73 STORAGE: 240GB Inland SSD, 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive COOLER: Cooler Master ML240L - 240mm Liquid AIO MONITORS1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 24" Widescreen 60Hz, 1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 22" 60Hz KEYBOARDCheap Inland USB Keyboard MOUSE2400DPI Anker Gaming Mouse RGB CHAIR: Ikea MARKUS Office Chair 

Setup No. 2: CPU: Intel i5-4950 GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 570 4GB VRAM MOBO: Asus B85 RAM: Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz Single Channel PSU: Insignia 450 Watt 80+ Efficiency Power Supply CASE: Thermaltake Versa N21 STORAGE: Samsung 860 EVO 240GB SSD COOLER: bequiet! Pure Rock Slim MONTIROS: 1x HP 24" 1680 x 1050p 60Hz KEYBOARD: Apple USB Keyboard MOUSE: Anywhere MX Logitech Mouse

I mean i wouldn't be too surprised if my PC would randomly wake up if i were in Area 51 ...

On a more serious note, you can see in the even log what initiated the wake up, maybe it's LAN wake-up packet, mouse moved ever so slightly by vibration\earthquake\pets, or Windows trying to install updates.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Probably updates or something.

Either turn the PC fully off, or just leave it on or let it sleep.

It's better than using hibernate.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Use this to enable the "connectivity in standby" power setting:

https://www.top-password.com/blog/fix-network-connectivity-in-standby-missing-from-power-options/

Then set it to disabled for both on battery and on AC.

Since some moron decided laptops should be phones and be "always on" they keep waking up for no reason. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Open the command prompt as admin, type an execute:

powercfg /lastwake

This will tell you what was the device or software that has waken your system.

Typically, they are:

• OS maintenance (Start > type: Maintenance > pick: Security & Maintenance > expand: Maintenance > Change maintenance time.
  • Wake on LAN/Magic Packet. Check your UEFI/BIOS for options related to those, ensure that everything is disabled. Also check the properties of your network card under Device Manager to make sure that these features are disabled.
  • Driver issue.
  • Mouse movement, if your system support waking up from hibernation with mouse (check BIOS/UEFI and Device Manager)

You can also see if you have any additional timers that can wake the system up with this command prompt line:

powercfg /waketimers

You can ignore "StartMenuExperienceHost.exe" from the list

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I'm looking all across the internet to fix it. Here are some solutions:

• Go to your Device manager and uncheck every Wake-On-Lan (WOL) option there is at your network card's Advanced tab. Also go to your mouse's settings and uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer".
  • Go to Control Panel and find Backup and Restore (Win7), check if there's any scheduled automatic backup, those might wake the computer up.
  • Go to Task schedules by using run window on taskschd.msc command. Check the Task Schedule Library to see if there's any task that's allowed to wake up the PC.
  • As GoodBytes suggested, open command prompt as admin and type this to see if there's something scheduled:
    powercfg /lastwake
    I did this and found that SystemEventsBroker is scheduled and it's allowed to wake up my PC.
  • Correlated to the last point, I found on Microsoft forum (see here) this principle: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Change Plan Settings, then Change advanced power settings. There, search for Allow wake timers under Sleep option. Disable that.
  • On the same post on MS forum, there's this reply I was too tired to try:

Use this psexec:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psexec

Navigate to the required folder, and execute the following command:

psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc

Next. navigate to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > UpdateOrchestrator.

Right click the task called Reboot and click on Disable.

After disabling it, change the permissions on the file C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Update Orchestrator\Backup Scan or Windows will re-enable the task. You need to change the owner to Administrators, click OK, then edit the permissions and set each principle to just Read.

--

Go through all of them and any that say "wake the computer to run this task" ... disable !!

I found this solution and it works for me... but you will have to do again every now and again!! Save the command.

This one requires you to install a program though.

That would be it, all the options I've found. At first I tried only Wake-On-Lan things and it didn't work. I I tried almost everything I typed here. I didn't try the option Enderman suggested. Today I did everything else on the list and test the PC for two nights and we'll see. But it's most probably network related since one night I unplugged the ethernet cable and it didn't turn on. But PC wouldn't turn on every night, so it might not be network related. I'll come back in two days to report.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 340
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB)
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7400 series

So I've tested it for 3 nights in a row and it didn't turn on a single time, so I'm pretty sure it worked!

Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 340
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB)
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7400 series