Bought a used 1070 on ebay

Omairn

As the title suggests I bought a used 1070 on ebay for $270 CAD, the description of the card said that "Used approx. 2 years. Pulled from working system. Includes original box as photographed" I contacted the seller about warranty and stuff and since the seller had done a bunch of selling and good reviews I figured it was a good deal.

After I bought the card the seller would not reply to my messages and I had to make an inquiry on another card he had with a different account. This is where I learned that these cards were mining cards and the whole "pulled from a working system" was just him testing the card on a working system and not actually being used in that system. I know this is my fault for not doing more research and stuff but how worried should I be about this card? he states that undervolts the cards and didnt use a special bios for the cards. Also, does this give me justification to ask for a return? or am I stuck with the card? Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it; mining cards, if properly cared for, make fantastic gaming cards.

There's a very strong possibility that my 1070 was mined on, but I've had no problems with it at all.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

19 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wouldn't worry about it; mining cards, if properly cared for, make fantastic gaming cards.

There's a very strong possibility that my 1070 was mined on, but I've had no problems with it at all.

okay, is there anything I should look for on the card like physically to see for damages?

theres nothing that can physically damage a card from software uses (aka mining) so honestly if you plug it in and it displays and the fans are running you more then likely are golden unless theres some weird unforseen issue

That....is an awful lot for a GTX 1070. You definitely overpaid.

That said it's a decent card, so if it's a good upgrade from what you had just enjoy it and move forward.

Depends what the sellers auction stated. Returns are only allowed, generally, if the item is defective. So. If it works fine, you don't really have a reason to return it.

39 minutes ago, Omairn said:

okay, is there anything I should look for on the card like physically to see for damages?

Check if the fans have died. That's about all you'll be able to see. I really wouldn't worry about it though.

33 minutes ago, non-Zero said:

theres nothing that can physically damage a card from software uses (aka mining) so honestly if you plug it in and it displays and the fans are running you more then likely are golden unless theres some weird unforseen issue

The fans can die, and often do on lower tier cards.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

a 1070 is basically a 1660 super~, and since that's 300cad new, you definitely overpaid, but if it works...nbd.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Don't see what buying a used card has to do with it being used. You knew it was used and the seller stated it was used right? How it was used doesn't matter or warrant a return. Im sure ebay would side with them as would I.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

33 minutes ago, xg32 said:

a 1070 is basically a 1660 super~, and since that's 300cad new, you definitely overpaid, but if it works...nbd.

damn it, everyone on build a pc reddit told to get the 1070 for that price, that is why i picked it :( i was going to get the 1660 super before that

2 hours ago, Omairn said:

As the title suggests I bought a used 1070 on ebay for $270 CAD, the description of the card said that "Used approx. 2 years. Pulled from working system. Includes original box as photographed" I contacted the seller about warranty and stuff and since the seller had done a bunch of selling and good reviews I figured it was a good deal.

After I bought the card the seller would not reply to my messages and I had to make an inquiry on another card he had with a different account. This is where I learned that these cards were mining cards and the whole "pulled from a working system" was just him testing the card on a working system and not actually being used in that system. I know this is my fault for not doing more research and stuff but how worried should I be about this card? he states that undervolts the cards and didnt use a special bios for the cards. Also, does this give me justification to ask for a return? or am I stuck with the card? Thanks!

Mining cards can still work properly if was used in a good condition providing reliable power to it but you could have gotten a 1660 supper for 230 rivals the 1070 interms of gaming performance and has was higher vram bandwidth with it's gddr6 vram 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Mining cards can still work properly if was used in a good condition providing reliable power to it but you could have gotten a 1660 supper for 230 rivals the 1070 interms of gaming performance and has was higher vram bandwidth with it's gddr6 vram 

yeah I regret buying the card, initial plan was to get a 1660 super until I asked BuildaPC reddit and they told to get the 1070, im stuck with the card but i guess as long as it works im happy

1 minute ago, Omairn said:

yeah I regret buying the card, initial plan was to get a 1660 super until I asked BuildaPC reddit and they told to get the 1070, im stuck with the card but i guess as long as it works im happy

I'm not saying it's trash you'll still get alot out  Pascal even in 2020 I just recommend getting more than one opinion when doing a rather sizable investment :)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, Omairn said:

i think these forums tend to be more specific about 1 product over the other than reddit, and you see the upvoted message more often, doesn't mean it's the most optimal though.

That said i can recommend the 1070 for 225-250cad over a 1660super from a high feedback seller, i tend to value used cards lower than others but a 25-33% discount is nice.

The "mistake", if it even is one, from buying the 1070 is like 25cad...i've seen alot worse.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

i think these forums tend to be more specific about 1 product over the other than reddit, and you see the upvoted message more often, doesn't mean it's the most optimal though.

That said i can recommend the 1070 for 225-250cad over a 1660super from a high feedback seller, i tend to value used cards lower than others but a 25-33% discount is nice.

The "mistake", if it even is one, from buying the 1070 is like 25cad...i've seen alot worse.

I could not find any 1070 for under $270 so I thought it was a good deal and new 1660 super at the moment go for over $320 so I figured $50 saving after the fact was a good deal

45 minutes ago, Omairn said:

I could not find any 1070 for under $270 so I thought it was a good deal and new 1660 super at the moment go for over $320 so I figured $50 saving after the fact was a good deal

That's definitely not a bad deal.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 hours ago, Omairn said:

Nothing in there says that it wasn't a mining card. If something goes wrong with it, eBay gives you 30 days to return, no questions asked. Just pick that the item isn't as described in your return claim if you have to go that route.

In general, there's nothing wrong with buying a mining card from someone who's running a lot of them, especially if it's from a reputable source on a platform with buyer protection as bulletproof as eBay's. Most of them are actually better taken care of than typical gamer cards, imo, because a miner with a big setup probably has them undervolted and running in open air in a clean environment. A dead card mines no hash, so the less often that happens, the better. Use it for a couple of weeks, put it through its paces, overclock it, do whatever you want to do, and if it can't do it for any reason it's an item not as described. Realistically, though, your card is fine.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

13 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Nothing in there says that it wasn't a mining card. If something goes wrong with it, eBay gives you 30 days to return, no questions asked. Just pick that the item isn't as described in your return claim if you have to go that route.

In general, there's nothing wrong with buying a mining card from someone who's running a lot of them, especially if it's from a reputable source on a platform with buyer protection as bulletproof as eBay's. Most of them are actually better taken care of than typical gamer cards, imo, because a miner with a big setup probably has them undervolted and running in open air in a clean environment. A dead card mines no hash, so the less often that happens, the better. Use it for a couple of weeks, put it through its paces, overclock it, do whatever you want to do, and if it can't do it for any reason it's an item not as described. Realistically, though, your card is fine.

question, he did state that it is undervolted and im just wondering do I leave it undervolted or do bring it back to original settings?

4 hours ago, Omairn said:

What hurts electronics is being heated, cooled, repeat.

Its better for something to be on unless it's excessively hot. 

A GPU thats over heated for years, and having the fan spin for years is not ideal.

7 minutes ago, Omairn said:

question, he did state that it is undervolted and im just wondering do I leave it undervolted or do bring it back to original settings?

Just install MSI Afterburner once you have the card connected and drivers installed, then tell it to reset to defaults. It'll put everything back at stock. An undervolted card is a happy card.

4 hours ago, Omairn said:

i know people hate it but i think it works well for this sort of stuff

run https://www.userbenchmark.com/ and it will tell you how your card sits overall compared to others.

Also ebay has 30 day money back if u want to return it. Seller pays for return shipping if you just say in the case its a mining card and you have been lied to ebay always side with buyer.

35 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

if you just say in the case its a mining card and you have been lied to ebay always side with buyer.

That would be an absolutely massive c**t move. The seller did not say anywhere whether or not it was a mining card, just that it was used for two years, pulled from a working system and included the box. If the card works, it is 100% as described and people like you are why I quit f*cking around with selling on eBay.

1 hour ago, Omairn said:

I doubt he modded the bios. As you said they didn't. So it isn't undervolted. That's now how it works.

Run the card, its that simple.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

yeah Im not going return it unless I have valid reason, Im not gonna try and blame him for my lack of research done. If within the 30 days there is a problem I will go from there

14 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

I doubt he modded the bios. As you said they didn't. So it isn't undervolted. That's now how it works.

Run the card, its that simple.

Doesn't lowering the power limit in Afterburner (etc.) count as "undervolting" a card? If not, I've been using my terms incorrectly for a long time.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Doesn't lowering the power limit in Afterburner (etc.) count as "undervolting" a card? If not, I've been using my terms incorrectly for a long time.

The settings aren’t stored on the card. It isn’t gonna stay undervolted moving it to another pc. If that was the case you would never lose an overclock and you’d be able to track all of the cards past by doing so.