Why are Nvidia cards SO much cooler than AMD cards?

Car712

Ok so I've recently upgraded from a RX 480 to a GTX 1660 Super and I have noticed that the 1660 runs FAR FAR cooler and quieter than the RX 480, better card as well, anyways, I'm wondering how this is possible? Why does it seem so hard for any AMD card to be cool or quiet, especially under any load? I mean, the difference is insane, my CPU dropped many degrees under load with the new GPU, as well as the overall case, it doesn't feel like an oven anymore, let alone warm, after a long gaming session! Heck, I don't even hear the fan under load either! Has anyone else experienced this HUGE difference switching from AMD to Nvidia cards?

1 minute ago, Car712 said:

Ok so I've recently upgraded from a RX 480 to a GTX 1660 Super and I have noticed that the 1660 runs FAR FAR cooler and quieter than the RX 480, better card as well, anyways, I'm wondering how this is possible? Why does it seem so hard for any AMD card to be cool or quiet, especially under any load? I mean, the difference is insane, my CPU dropped many degrees under load with the new GPU, as well as the overall case, it doesn't feel like an oven anymore after a long gaming session!

Try comparing apples to apples sometime, with actual numbers to backup your statements.

Tho AMD has had to run harder and hotter to produce frames in general, but I doubt it's near what you're claiming.

There is a small difference in power consumption between those cards, but it more likely has to do with the cooler.

AMD and Nvidia don't have any control over the coolers installed on the majority of cards, so it's up to the manufacturer. AMD cards tend to be more oriented towards people who want the most performance per dollar, which leaves less room for an expensive cooler. Still, it's just a tendency, it's easily possible to get an AMD card that runs cool and quiet, or an Nvidia card that runs hot and loud.

PS: The effect on other components is really only affected by the GPU's power consumption and where it exhausts its air. It doesn't matter whether the GPU temperature is 80C or 60C.

You're comparing a 3 year old card vs a not even 1 year old card on a much newer process, of course it's more efficient and thus quiet.

The 10-series from Nvidia was the most cool units either.

I mean, my 2070 Super and older RX 580 ran at about the same temperature, but the Nvidia card does it much quieter.

Plus you have so many cooler varieties of both, it's hard to compare.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you have good airflow and normal (70f) ambient temps sound and temps are not an issue.  If you run a blower card you will have a bad time regardless of the manufacturer.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, minibois said:

You're comparing a 3 year old card vs a not even 1 year old card on a much newer process, of course it's more efficient and thus quiet.

Efficiency aside, the power consumption isn't that different. It's a 160W card vs a 130W card. You can certainly get a 160W+ card that runs cool and quiet, there are plenty of them in Nvidia's lineup as well. I don't hear OP complaining about the 2060 Super for example.

13 minutes ago, Lorant said:

Try comparing apples to apples sometime, with actual numbers to backup your statements.

Tho AMD has had to run harder and hotter to produce frames in general, but I doubt it's near what you're claiming.

Believe me, the difference is definitely there (for me at least), especially when you have a case that doesn't have great airflow, like mine, the Masterbox 5 Lite RGB.

I mean, i'm just sharing my personal experience and opinion here (as well as the fact that generally AMD cards have been known to run hotter), it may very well vary for many other people depending on the factors everyone has said.

200w vs 130w 

If your old 480 make your case warmer then your case ventilation is not good enough to dump that extra 70w. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, xAcid9 said:

200w vs 130w 

If your old 480 make your case warmer then your case ventilation is not good enough to dump that extra 70w. 

480s don't draw 200W under normal circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

480s don't draw 200W under normal circumstances.

I took that number from TPU MSI Rx 480 Gaming X review. 

Spoiler

power_average.png

Yeah usually aftermarket Rx480s operate between 180w-200w when gaming. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

My 225W R9 280 runs at 60-65°C with the fans running at 670 RPM, while folding. So it's very cool and quiet. How? Because the temperatures and noise depends mostly on the cooler, not the GPU. If you see higher temperatures and more noise, it's usually because of a worse cooler. 

:)

11 minutes ago, Car712 said:

It was a MSI GAMING X 8GB card, if that makes any difference.

Like everyone is saying, it's usually the cooler. Some Nvidia cards with crappy coolers run h o t af too. Also depends on your case airflow and ambient temps. In summer with a single front fan on my Evolv ATX, the MSI Gaming 980 Ti 6G I had would hit 83C. The next year when I had more fans and such it wouldn't break the 70s under the same load. @xAcid9 is correct, you probably don't have the airflow to dump the extra heat from the 480. 

That said, AMD cards are typically more power hungry, meaning they create more heat, so if you used the exact same cooler on both, yeah the AMD card would run hotter (with Vega cards they also ship using a much higher voltage than they actually need). AIBs sometimes fail to account for this with their cooler designs. If you get a good cooler, they perform similarly. My Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 8GB never got hot, even under full torture test load at max voltage with the highest OC I could push. Same for my EVGA XC Ultra 1660 Ti, it literally cannot get hot unless I just turned the fans off lol. Both are cards where the AIB gave them a damn good cooler. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

AMD reference coolers are blower designs, and they are actually not as bad as people make them out to be. Nvidia recently abandoned that design in their FE lineup.

The blower style cards actually do have a compelling purpose in some scenarios, and it would seem especially so in your case (pun intended), where airflow isn't as good, blower designs will be more beneficial than open air coolers.

Also as stated, you're comparing very old designs to Nvidia newest. It's not a fair assessment.

Another reason is AMD cards, especially the mid-range cards, are less expensive.

Thus, most people aren't buying the RX 580 Nitro Plus from sapphire, they are buying the XFX bargain bin ones. They are fine, but as you might expect they will thermally and audibly perform worse.....the price you pay for saving money.

Personally, at the lower end, I don't see the value of spending extra on a better cooler when that money could kick you up into the next tier instead (e.g. buying a $200 1650 Super with an amazing cooler vs spending $200 on a basic 1660). But on higher models, where the extra $40 doesn't get you into the next tier, it's worthwhile.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Like everyone is saying, it's usually the cooler. Some Nvidia cards with crappy coolers run h o t af too. Also depends on your case airflow and ambient temps. In summer with a single front fan on my Evolv ATX, the MSI Gaming 980 Ti 6G I had would hit 83C. The next year when I had more fans and such it wouldn't break the 70s under the same load. @xAcid9 is correct, you probably don't have the airflow to dump the extra heat from the 480. 

That said, AMD cards are typically more power hungry, meaning they create more heat, so if you used the exact same cooler on both, yeah the AMD card would run hotter (with Vega cards they also ship using a much higher voltage than they actually need). AIBs sometimes fail to account for this with their cooler designs. If you get a good cooler, they perform similarly. My Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 8GB never got hot, even under full torture test load at max voltage with the highest OC I could push. Same for my EVGA XC Ultra 1660 Ti, it literally cannot get hot unless I just turned the fans off lol. Both are cards where the AIB gave them a damn good cooler. 

I had a reference model Nvidia GTX 480.....my God.....the heat that sucker put out was enough for the winter

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

200w vs 130w 

Every case will get hot if you are using GPUs that draw 250W+, especially the side panel/glass. The heat isn't transfered instantly and some of it is also radiated. 

My 2080ti FE runs hot as hell lol. Even with excellent air flow, I have to crank the fans to keep it at an acceptable temp.