Sensitive PSU

So, as the title suggests I have a very sensitive psu cable. Even the slightest nudge will turn off my whole pc. I've swapped out the power cable as well as buying an entirely new psu from a different brand (Antec to Evga). I've tried using new power cables as well as even old ones as well and nothing has worked.

Any suggestions?

Might seem kind of stupid, but are you sure everything is plugged in snug?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Only things I could think of are... either you're not inserting the cable into the PSU with enough force (can take quite a lot), or it's the other end that's faulty - the power socket you plug it in.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Have used different power sockets as well as other people that are way more tech savy then me have tried plugging it in with the same results even though I do plug it in fully. (I'd double check sure right now to see if it truly plugged in fully but I don't want my pc turning off.)

'Slightest nudge' on which side ? Outlet or PSU side ? PSU side should sit pretty tightly, if it's not then it's some weird cable, replace it. If it's outlet, well, replace it instead.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 minutes ago, Apollen said:

Have used different power sockets as well as other people that are way more tech savy then me have tried plugging it in with the same results even though I do plug it in fully. (I'd double check sure right now to see if it truly plugged in fully but I don't want my pc turning off.)

I'd take out the motherboard and make sure you have all your standoffs in that case. Could be shorting

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

'Slightest nudge' on which side ? Outlet or PSU side ? PSU side should sit pretty tightly, if it's not then it's some weird cable, replace it. If it's outlet, well, replace it instead.

Like I've said.. I've gotten multiple brand new cables and psu and yet the same result. however it happens on the psu end.

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I'd take out the motherboard and make sure you have all your standoffs in that case. Could be shorting

And actually just got a new pc case recently and had someone else install it. Now I know 100% that it isn't the problem as the person who installed it is very tech savvy even having a 2080ti computer. Edit: just tried to puss the cable in more and it was all the way in though I know if gets moved side to side even the slightest bit as it is sensitive it will just shut off.

Just now, Apollen said:

the person who installed it is very tech savvy even having a 2080ti computer.

*looks at my GTX1060 3GB*

Guess i'm not that tech savvy then :)

Again, on which side of the power cable it's more prominent at least ? Maybe it's not a 'nudging' at all, what would be effect of just grabbing it ? Maybe it's some weird electrical interference issue ...

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

*looks at my GTX1060 3GB*

Guess i'm not that tech savvy then :)

Again, on which side of the power cable it's more prominent at least ? Maybe it's not a 'nudging' at all, what would be effect of just grabbing it ? Maybe it's some weird electrical interference issue ...

Didn't say you weren't tech savvy now. ?

And it's happening from the psu end. Was happening on that end for both the power supplys.

6 minutes ago, Apollen said:

And actually just got a new pc case recently and had someone else install it. Now I know 100% that it isn't the problem as the person who installed it is very tech savvy even having a 2080ti computer. Edit: just tried to puss the cable in more and it was all the way in though I know if gets moved side to side even the slightest bit as it is sensitive it will just shut off.

We can't really help unless you narrow down the problem

Is it the cable? How are you sure?

And like, im not gonna lie- just cause someone's got a 2080 ti doesn't mean they know what they're doing lol

And it persists with multiple different cables and two different PSUs ? That's weird ...

Are you sure your 'nudging' are 'slightest' lol ?

What's the reason you've discovered this in the first place, you move your PC a lot ?

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

We can't really help unless you narrow down the problem

Is it the cable? How are you sure?

And like, im not gonna lie- just cause someone's got a 2080 ti doesn't mean they know what they're doing lol

Well I mean trust me. There a family member and there the one whole helped me build my first costume rig using some of there old parts like a 750ti to make it cheaper. Also, It happens on the psu end BUT I have replaced the psu and cable before and still nothing.

Okay, take some photos so we'll see that it's indeed plugged all the way, gotta be sure as i can't think of anything else.

And it persists with multiple different cables and two different PSUs ? That's weird ...

Are you sure your 'nudging' are 'slightest' lol ?

What's the reason you've discovered this in the first place, you move your PC a lot ?

Well time such as.. I would be trying to plug in a usb port or something in the back and then my hand would press down on the psu from the top oh so slightly and just bam it all turns off. Yet the psu is still 95% plugged in.

3 minutes ago, Apollen said:

Well I mean trust me. There a family member and there the one whole helped me build my first costume rig using some of there old parts like a 750ti to make it cheaper. Also, It happens on the psu end BUT I have replaced the psu and cable before and still nothing.

So if you ONLY move the cable it will kill the power?

Well yeah but its about how much I move it. It's at the point where I feel as if I could blow on the end of the cable and have it shut off. ?

Well, i can't personally remember any PSUs with power socket being 'too loose' but i guess that's still kinda possible. What PSU model you have exactly (both of them) ? Maybe there are other reports of the same problem with it ?

11 minutes ago, Juular said:

Well, i can't personally remember any PSUs with power socket being 'too loose' but i guess that's still kinda possible. What PSU model you have exactly (both of them) ? Maybe there are other reports of the same problem with it ?

I thought about it too,the PSU power port might be loose.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

10 minutes ago, Juular said:

Actually perfect because while turning my pc barley to the side to get better lighting for the photo it did it's old turn off. So now i have 2 photos. One of it while it is off and another fully plugged in.

As well to this when I go to plug it back in it tends to really hate that. I literally have to fully pull it out and fully put I back in. If I try to just push it back in instead of fully pulling it out it.. it will literally turn off and on, off and on and off and on and wont stay on. (Also you will hear that static noise.) 

When it turned off while barley turning the pc to the side.  20191211_120526.jpg?width=153&height=331

While it's working and on. 20191211_121826.jpg?width=153&height=331

In any way, try taping the power cord with electrical tape around it, this might help tightening the seating.

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I thought about it too,the PSU power port might be loose.

The old psu that I only had for a couple months was the Antec HCG 620W.

The new one that's about 2 months old is the EVGA 650W 100-N1-0650-L1.

It's not seated all the way, case closed. Yank it in, there's nothing to break.

It's not seated all the way, case closed.

Yeah, that's the problem. it will unseat after I do anything.  I've literally went to remove the dust filter on the top of the case and leaned the pc to the side to do so and it would completely turn off.

Never mind as well to this when I go to plug it back in it tends to really hate that. I literally have to fully pull it out and fully put I back in. If I try to just push/plug it properly back in instead of fully pulling it out it.. it will literally turn off and on, off and on and off and on multiple times as you try to plug it in and wont stay on. (Also you will hear that static noise.) 

6 minutes ago, Apollen said:

Yeah, that's the problem. it will unseat after I do anything.  I've literally went to remove the dust filter on the top of the case and leaned the pc to the side to do so and it would completely turn off.

Never mind as well to this when I go to plug it back in it tends to really hate that. I literally have to fully pull it out and fully put I back in. If I try to just push/plug it properly back in instead of fully pulling it out it.. it will literally turn off and on, off and on and off and on multiple times as you try to plug it in and wont stay on. (Also you will hear that static noise.) 

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. It's too tight as in you can't plug it all the way ?

The static noise is because contact isn't good enough, you didn't seat the leads properly.

For the reference, this is how it should look like \ how far it should be plugged in :

6918729_orig.jpg