Analog Current Measurement

Hi guys! I dont know if this is the right place for it but i have a question:

I have power running to my shed, and i cant see the shed from my home, now i want a device that lights a small led (or other source) when the light in the shed is on. I can ofcourse make this with a arduino and a module but i wondered if there were any analog solutions to my problem. If the light in the shed is off, no power is used at all, so there is no need for a ajustable threshold value for the light to go on. It is a workshed so i need the full 16 amps of 230 volt that goes to it.

Best regards Daniël!

You would need to have a third wire going to the shed, cause you can't put an LED in series with the AC line going to the shed.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you did have a third line going there, all you need to do is make this simple circuit and have it connected to the same switch that runs the lights in the shed.

Image result for ac power indicator led

So the switch would close both the lighting circuit as well as your LED circuit.

But since you want the LED in your house and the switch is in the shed you need a third wire to bring power from the shed to the LED in your house.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You would need to have a third wire going to the shed, cause you can't put an LED in series with the AC line going to the shed.

ah, thanks. Thats kinda difficult because its 200 meters ( 656 feet) underground. thanks for the answer! i have a solution with an arduino, i have a small board that measures the ac current in series with the fase line goin to the shed. that reports the current to the arduino and the arduino turns a led on. But its not a clean solution and i would love to create a analog solution.

2 minutes ago, DVProductions said:

ah, thanks. Thats kinda difficult because its 200 meters ( 656 feet) underground. thanks for the answer! i have a solution with an arduino, i have a small board that measures the ac current in series with the fase line goin to the shed. that reports the current to the arduino and the arduino turns a led on. But its not a clean solution and i would love to create a analog solution.

I actually found this, very simple:

https://www.amazon.com/CR-Magnetics-Remote-Current-Indicator/dp/B005CWHDVA?th=1

If you want to try making it yourself you can find schematics if you google "ac current indicator led"

Spoiler

You could measure the current going to shed but if you're using a 10w led light, the current would be very low

There's hall effect sensor ICs like ACS711 for example :

+/- 15.5A : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/allegro-microsystems/ACS711KEXLT-15AB-T/620-1483-1-ND/3868192

+/- 12.5A : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/allegro-microsystems/ACS711ELCTR-25AB-T/620-1371-1-ND/2470595

image.png.2090543f443d132106e9c2933137593e.pngimage.png.2b5b90c498c7e5d690132d0737f15a67.png

It measures the current going through it and outputs a voltage on a pin that varies with the current so you can use an arduino to do stuff when the current measures goes above some threshold

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You could measure the current going to shed but if you're using a 10w led light, the current would be very low

There's hall effect sensor ICs like ACS711 for example :

+/- 15.5A : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/allegro-microsystems/ACS711KEXLT-15AB-T/620-1483-1-ND/3868192

+/- 12.5A : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/allegro-microsystems/ACS711ELCTR-25AB-T/620-1371-1-ND/2470595

image.png.2090543f443d132106e9c2933137593e.pngimage.png.2b5b90c498c7e5d690132d0737f15a67.png

It measures the current going through it and outputs a voltage on a pin that varies with the current so you can use an arduino to do stuff when the current measures goes above some threshold

i'm currently using this ic icm arduino. it works, but its no clean solution.

Just now, DVProductions said:

Thanks! imma try this!

That transformer is also available on Digikey for 13.5$ plus shipping : https://www.digikey.com/short/p17wb1

Note that the turn on current is 0.75A ... if you have 110v input, that's around 82 watts. If your shed lights use less than that, your led may not turn on.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

That transformer is also available on Digikey for 13.5$ plus shipping : https://www.digikey.com/short/p17wb1

Note that the turn on current is 0.75A ... if you have 110v input, that's around 82 watts. If your shed lights use less than that, your led may not turn on.

thanks! if it uses less, i will put a glowbulb (is that correct english? In dutch it is gloeilamp) in the shed, than it will use enough power

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

One can always run the wire multiple times trough the loop. Each turn adds to the detected current.

Yeah, also remember to split the live and neutral wires, don't shove the whole bundle through the hole.  If you insert both live and neutral they cancel out so you'll get no current or very little current.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Yeah, also remember to split the live and neutral wires, don't shove the whole bundle through the hole.  If you insert both live and neutral they cancel out so you'll get no current or very little current.

i understand that thanks

You can measure the current with a Shunt Current Sense Resistor:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

You can measure the current with a Shunt Current Sense Resistor:

You can also connect it permanently to a cheap multi-meter as a display.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

@Vishera, it's AC voltage, so you'll have alternate positive and negative voltages on the shunt resistor. Yeah, you could use a diode to block and only have positive voltages but still...

You'd want to have a drop of let's say at least 50mV on the shunt resistor, if you want the ADC on your microcontroller to reliably work... so do the math .. v = ixr  ,,, if you go with 0.1 ohm, you end up with i = 0.05v/0.1 = 0.5A minimum current to detect

However, at 16A you'd have v = 16x0.1 = 1.6v drop and the power dissipated in shunt will be P = IxIxR = 256 x 0.1 = 25 watts.

So you'd either have to use an even lower resistor than 0.1 ohm, which will increase the minimum threshold, or somehow short out the current sense resistor with a relay or parallel another resistor with a relay to reduce resistance (like auto ranging)